IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-06-14T10:23:11Z by eric g. s
eric g. s
eric g. s
8 Posts

Pinned topic Data Lineage to include sequential file in the job

‏2012-06-11T14:53:52Z |
Hi,

I have jobs that used sequential file as source and i want this to be included in the data lineage report that'll generated. How can I go about this in Metadata Workbench? I am using v8.5 in windows 2003 machine.

Many thanks,
sega
Updated on 2012-06-14T10:23:11Z at 2012-06-14T10:23:11Z by eric g. s
  • MarcHaber
    MarcHaber
    11 Posts

Re: Data Lineage to include sequential file in the job

‏2012-06-12T10:58:02Z  
    Sequential Files may be imported into the Repository using DataStage and published as Shared Metadata. The Workbench Lineage Services will link th Seq. File Stage to the imported file based upon the File Name and complete Path as set in the Stage. See attached document for further instructions.
  • eric g. s
    eric g. s
    8 Posts

‏2012-06-12T12:02:28Z  
    • MarcHaber
    • ‏2012-06-12T10:58:02Z
    Sequential Files may be imported into the Repository using DataStage and published as Shared Metadata. The Workbench Lineage Services will link th Seq. File Stage to the imported file based upon the File Name and complete Path as set in the Stage. See attached document for further instructions.
    Hi,

Would this apply to v8.5?
  • MarcHaber
    MarcHaber
    11 Posts

‏2012-06-12T12:12:55Z  
    • eric g. s
    • ‏2012-06-12T12:02:28Z
    Hi,

Would this apply to v8.5?
    Yes - the steps to publish a Seq. File from DataStage are the same.
    Lineage has changed within MWB for version 8.7, however the process of the Automated Services remain the same - matching the Seq. File Name + Path to the imported Data File Name + Path.
  • eric g. s
    eric g. s
    8 Posts

‏2012-06-12T13:46:45Z  
    • MarcHaber
    • ‏2012-06-12T12:12:55Z
    Lineage has changed within MWB for version 8.7, however the process of the Automated Services remain the same - matching the Seq. File Name + Path to the imported Data File Name + Path.
    Thank you very much for the reply, Marc. Greatly appreciated...

As for the data lineage, I enable to Generated Operational Metadata in the DS Project properties. But when I select only Operational Data, no data lineage were generated. only when Design data is selected results of data lineage is displayed. Can you shed some light on this?

Many thanks again.
  • eric g. s
    eric g. s
    8 Posts

‏2012-06-12T17:22:31Z  
    • MarcHaber
    • ‏2012-06-12T12:12:55Z
    Hi,

The Data File now exist in the WorkBench but in the data lineage, it still does not appear. The data lineage only displays the database columns and stage columns..
  • MarcHaber
    MarcHaber
    11 Posts

‏2012-06-13T03:11:00Z  
    • eric g. s
    • ‏2012-06-12T17:22:31Z
    Hi,

The Data File now exist in the WorkBench but in the data lineage, it still does not appear. The data lineage only displays the database columns and stage columns..
    Have you checked the log file to try and understand why the Workbench Automated Service did not match to the imported File?

Please ensure the File Name and Path match exactly (case sensitive) the parameters in the Stage.
  • MarcHaber
    MarcHaber
    11 Posts

‏2012-06-13T03:12:35Z  
    • MarcHaber
    • ‏2012-06-13T03:11:00Z
    Have you checked the log file to try and understand why the Workbench Automated Service did not match to the imported File?

Please ensure the File Name and Path match exactly (case sensitive) the parameters in the Stage.
    Can you send a picture of the Stage Details from DataStage, and the Data File as seen in the Workbench - including its details (where you can see the path).
  • eric g. s
    eric g. s
    8 Posts

‏2012-06-13T11:29:15Z  
    • MarcHaber
    • ‏2012-06-13T03:12:35Z
    Can you send a picture of the Stage Details from DataStage, and the Data File as seen in the Workbench - including its details (where you can see the path).
    Hi March,

I think I found something, in all of the job logs this always appear:

"Process meta data not available in database"

Maybe that's why there's no result for Data Lineage or Impact Analysis when Operational Metadata is selected. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Many thanks,
    sega
  • eric g. s
    eric g. s
    8 Posts

‏2012-06-14T10:21:01Z  
    I posted additional question regarding the linking problems I found in the Workbench log on this topic:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=432557

Many thanks,
    sega
  • eric g. s
    eric g. s
    8 Posts

‏2012-06-14T10:23:11Z  
    • MarcHaber
    • ‏2012-06-13T03:12:35Z
    I lacked the step to import operational data (xml files) to repository to be able to see the operational data. Many thanks for the help...