Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-06-11T12:38:09Z by petersda
vishalendu
vishalendu
57 Posts

Pinned topic Can we see Protocol Data for mutiple/all VUsers while Perf Schedule running

‏2012-06-08T09:59:49Z |
Hi,

Is there any way in which I can monitor Protocol Data (Http request/response), reading from text based log file(s) generated by RPT while the Performance Schedule is running?
OR
IF not possible while running the schedule, is it possible to get text based log files containing all the Protocol Data collected during the run for all the VUsers?

I understand that the RPT GUI provides a "Watch Virtual User" option, but this will only give me Protocol Data for one user at a time. It would be helpful if I can just read all the Protocol Data for all the users simultaneously (probably from a text log file)

Thanks in advance,
Vishalendu
Updated on 2012-06-11T12:38:09Z at 2012-06-11T12:38:09Z by petersda
  • RobertoFdez
    RobertoFdez
    50 Posts

Re: Can we see Protocol Data for mutiple/all VUsers while Perf Schedule running

‏2012-06-08T10:50:13Z  
    You can get this log but at the end of the schedule, not while running.
  • vishalendu
    vishalendu
    57 Posts

‏2012-06-08T12:12:14Z  
    You can get this log but at the end of the schedule, not while running.
    Roberto,

Can you please elaborate on how to get the Protocol Data logs for all the VUsers, after the completion of Scheduled Run.
    Thanks,
    Vishalendu
  • RobertoFdez
    RobertoFdez
    50 Posts

‏2012-06-08T12:58:54Z  
    Roberto,

Can you please elaborate on how to get the Protocol Data logs for all the VUsers, after the completion of Scheduled Run.
    Thanks,
    Vishalendu
    Hi,

In the Schedule Report screen, right click over it and select "Test log". It will display a new tab with a 3D graph of the execution and the % of success. In the foot on the screen, click "events" tab and all the users will be displayed with their info. You can export them but remember that _only appear those users that you configured in the schedule configuration (Test Log Tab), for example: Show Warnings for all users
  • vishalendu
    vishalendu
    57 Posts

‏2012-06-08T13:32:41Z  
    Hi,

In the Schedule Report screen, right click over it and select "Test log". It will display a new tab with a 3D graph of the execution and the % of success. In the foot on the screen, click "events" tab and all the users will be displayed with their info. You can export them but remember that _only appear those users that you configured in the schedule configuration (Test Log Tab), for example: Show Warnings for all users
    Hi Roberto,

I had tried this earlier as well, I get something like the following:

Name: Product Name {2}
    Description:
    null
    Timestamp: May 21, 2012 7:44:57 PM GMT+05:30
    Text: HTTPPage: 'Product Name {2}' started 7472630 milliseconds after schedule start
    Event type: com.ibm.rational.test.lt.HTTPPageStart

Properties:
    Type: start

This mostly looks like timer information for the different pages, along with any messages reported during the Schedule execution.

What I am looking for is extracting the HTTPResponse and HTTPRequest (including any header info) from some kind of text file which RPT should either :
    "create and update while running the scenario"
    or
    "create after completing and analyzing the scenario"

Please let me know if anyone knows of any way besides doing reportMessage for all the requests/responses. Do I need to change the log level to a higher level?

Thanks,
    Vishalendu
  • petersda
    petersda
    376 Posts

‏2012-06-08T19:01:43Z  
    Hi Roberto,

I had tried this earlier as well, I get something like the following:

Name: Product Name {2}
    Description:
    null
    Timestamp: May 21, 2012 7:44:57 PM GMT+05:30
    Text: HTTPPage: 'Product Name {2}' started 7472630 milliseconds after schedule start
    Event type: com.ibm.rational.test.lt.HTTPPageStart

Properties:
    Type: start

This mostly looks like timer information for the different pages, along with any messages reported during the Schedule execution.

What I am looking for is extracting the HTTPResponse and HTTPRequest (including any header info) from some kind of text file which RPT should either :
    "create and update while running the scenario"
    or
    "create after completing and analyzing the scenario"

Please let me know if anyone knows of any way besides doing reportMessage for all the requests/responses. Do I need to change the log level to a higher level?

Thanks,
    Vishalendu
    I think you are looking to see the exact same information in the test log when you run a schedule as when you run a test.

If this is the case, in your schedule you need to click on the test log tab (click the schedule name in the schedule "tree" and on the right there are many tabs, pick the test log one).

On the test log tab there are three levels of logging you can control. Set all three levels to all.

Below these levels there is a sample x # of users. The default is 5. This means we will only log all the information for 5 users. If you want this higher, or you want to log for all users, change this value. NOTE: you will need a LOT of disk space depending on how many users and how big your tests are. Sampling is the preferred mode of operation.

Run your schedule like you always do. When the schedule run is done, right click on it in the Performance Test Runs view, and say Display Test Log. Click on the second tab (look at the bottom of the window for the tabs). You will now have the test log for the # of users you chose. You can also choose to export your test log to a text file if you would like. All this information will be in there assuming you set your log level correctly in the schedule.
  • vishalendu
    vishalendu
    57 Posts

‏2012-06-09T17:55:57Z  
    • petersda
    • ‏2012-06-08T19:01:43Z
    I think you are looking to see the exact same information in the test log when you run a schedule as when you run a test.

If this is the case, in your schedule you need to click on the test log tab (click the schedule name in the schedule "tree" and on the right there are many tabs, pick the test log one).

On the test log tab there are three levels of logging you can control. Set all three levels to all.

Below these levels there is a sample x # of users. The default is 5. This means we will only log all the information for 5 users. If you want this higher, or you want to log for all users, change this value. NOTE: you will need a LOT of disk space depending on how many users and how big your tests are. Sampling is the preferred mode of operation.

Run your schedule like you always do. When the schedule run is done, right click on it in the Performance Test Runs view, and say Display Test Log. Click on the second tab (look at the bottom of the window for the tabs). You will now have the test log for the # of users you chose. You can also choose to export your test log to a text file if you would like. All this information will be in there assuming you set your log level correctly in the schedule.
    Hi Dawn,

Thanks for the info, I will surely check this out and update the thread asap.

I am running only a few VUsers, which I wanted to monitor, that also for a very small duration. Hence, I dont expect a whole lot of logs to get generated.

One more question, if this test involves downloading some files, am I correct in assuming that, the downloaded file's content will also be included in the HTTP Protocol logs?

Thanks,
    Vishalendu
  • petersda
    petersda
    376 Posts

‏2012-06-11T12:38:09Z  
    Hi Dawn,

Thanks for the info, I will surely check this out and update the thread asap.

I am running only a few VUsers, which I wanted to monitor, that also for a very small duration. Hence, I dont expect a whole lot of logs to get generated.

One more question, if this test involves downloading some files, am I correct in assuming that, the downloaded file's content will also be included in the HTTP Protocol logs?

Thanks,
    Vishalendu
    You will see the downloaded file as part of the response content for the request that initiated the download. Often times the actual content of the files is not readable due to the file encoding, but you should be able to click on the response header tab of the protocol data viewer and look at the Content-Length header to make sure you downloaded something of similar size as to what you recorded.