Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-06-11T11:37:23Z by Roseberry
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6056 Posts

Pinned topic Table sums in ITM

‏2012-06-07T11:59:21Z |
Hi, I was wondering if there is some way I can add up a Column in a Table and get the average to a plot chart in the TEP. The logic isn't complicated I just don't know where I could do it? It would be (Disk percent busy disk 1 + disk2 + disk 3....)/number of disks = Average of disk percent busy. I can get a plot chart that shows the value for every separate disk but with 30+ disks that becomes very hard to read.

Regards Nicklas
Updated on 2012-06-11T11:37:23Z at 2012-06-11T11:37:23Z by Roseberry
  • Roseberry
    Roseberry
    311 Posts

Re: Table sums in ITM

‏2012-06-07T14:54:08Z  
    Hi,
    You could use a custom query on, for example, the Disk table of the TDW (something like SUM(disk_busy) as total_disk, count(disk_busy) as Nb_disk, (total_disk/Nb_disk) as average).
    On the other hand I am not sure that such an average will be usefull. If you have 2 disks, one 100% busy and one not bysy at all you will have (100%+0%)/2 = 0.5 which seems ok but one disk is, in fact, overused).
    Also do not forget that one cannot add percentage values and then do an average % ot the total. One need the raw data used to obtain each percentage and then use the raw data for the total % (or average) (yes, maths can be tricky).

• - - - - - - Luc Roseberry
    Tivoli Certified
    ITIL Master Certified
    Roseberry International
    http://www.roseberry-international.com
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6056 Posts

‏2012-06-11T09:18:55Z  
    • Roseberry
    • ‏2012-06-07T14:54:08Z
    Hi,
    You could use a custom query on, for example, the Disk table of the TDW (something like SUM(disk_busy) as total_disk, count(disk_busy) as Nb_disk, (total_disk/Nb_disk) as average).
    On the other hand I am not sure that such an average will be usefull. If you have 2 disks, one 100% busy and one not bysy at all you will have (100%+0%)/2 = 0.5 which seems ok but one disk is, in fact, overused).
    Also do not forget that one cannot add percentage values and then do an average % ot the total. One need the raw data used to obtain each percentage and then use the raw data for the total % (or average) (yes, maths can be tricky).

Tivoli Certified
    ITIL Master Certified
    Roseberry International
    Math has never been my friend but thanks for the reply anyway :)

Since my SQL skills aren't that great either I think I'm going to skip this step for the moment and revisit it later.

But you did answer my question about where to put the logic, in a custom query. One more question in a custom query can i use only the values that are collected by default in one of the i5/OS standard query's or can I get information from any DB table in my system?

Thanks again, Nicklas
  • Roseberry
    Roseberry
    311 Posts

‏2012-06-11T11:37:23Z  
    Math has never been my friend but thanks for the reply anyway :)

Since my SQL skills aren't that great either I think I'm going to skip this step for the moment and revisit it later.

But you did answer my question about where to put the logic, in a custom query. One more question in a custom query can i use only the values that are collected by default in one of the i5/OS standard query's or can I get information from any DB table in my system?

Thanks again, Nicklas
    Hi,
    As long as the user used for the query has the permissions needed you should be able to access the table (must be "seen" by the tivoli agent). Usually one is limited to Tivoli tables.

Tivoli Certified
    ITIL Master Certified
    Roseberry International