• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-07-28T21:09:37Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
603 Posts

Pinned topic Host cannot ping itself??

‏2012-06-04T12:34:42Z |
Hello!

I've started all again, as root user, but now another error message stops me to install BigInsights. Could anyone in this forum be so kind to help me sort out this problem? Please take a look on this script:
root@RHEL6 biginsights-basic-linux64_b20120406_0812# ./start.sh

WARNING: The host cannot ping itself (`ping RHEL6`), unless there is firewall, this usually means the network naming resolution is bad on this host and further installation shall not continue until the problem is fixed. Do you want to continue? y/N y
Extracting Java .... Java extraction complete, using JAVA_HOME=/root/biginsights-basic-linux64_b20120406_0812/_jvm/ibm-java-x86_64-60 Verifying port 8300 availability port 8300 available
Starting BigInsights Installer .... Could not verify BigInsights Installer startup, please check the log at /root/biginsights-basic-linux64_b20120406_0812/installer-console/var/log/server.out

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any hint.
Cristián Carranza
Brazil
Updated on 2012-07-28T21:09:37Z at 2012-07-28T21:09:37Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    603 Posts

Re: Host cannot ping itself??

‏2012-06-04T17:59:47Z  
    More useful information that can help one to help me:
    When typing dig command, the following message is displayed:

> dig
    Server: 200.222.145.84
    Address: 200.222.145.84#53

• server can't find dig: NXDOMAIN
    Is this perhaps related with the original problem I posted?

Thanks!

Cristián
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    603 Posts

‏2012-06-05T22:14:07Z  
    More useful information that can help one to help me:
    When typing dig command, the following message is displayed:

> dig
    Server: 200.222.145.84
    Address: 200.222.145.84#53

• server can't find dig: NXDOMAIN
    Is this perhaps related with the original problem I posted?

Thanks!

Cristián
    Hi Cristián,

The issue you are seeing could be due to a network configuration error. Unfortunately I don't know the answer on how to correct the networking side.

From BigInsights side we document the following prerequisite:

"Host name resolution must be properly configured, either by /etc/hosts or by DNS. The /etc/hosts file of each server cannot contain dual host definition, and the same host name cannot map to different IP addresses. "

URL:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/bigins/v1r3/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.swg.im.infosphere.biginsights.doc%2Fdoc%2Fc0057608.html&resultof=%22%2f%65%74%63%2f%68%6f%73%74%73%22%20

Please check to make sure your /etc/hosts is meeting the prerequisite.

Thank you,

Zach
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    603 Posts

‏2012-07-27T16:58:59Z  
    Hi Cristián,

The issue you are seeing could be due to a network configuration error. Unfortunately I don't know the answer on how to correct the networking side.

From BigInsights side we document the following prerequisite:

"Host name resolution must be properly configured, either by /etc/hosts or by DNS. The /etc/hosts file of each server cannot contain dual host definition, and the same host name cannot map to different IP addresses. "

URL:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/bigins/v1r3/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.swg.im.infosphere.biginsights.doc%2Fdoc%2Fc0057608.html&resultof=%22%2f%65%74%63%2f%68%6f%73%74%73%22%20

Please check to make sure your /etc/hosts is meeting the prerequisite.

Thank you,

Zach
    Have you found an answer to this problem yet ?? I am facing exactly the same error..

Is this something to do with the version of linux simulation software on my laptop ??

I have actually disabled all the firewalls etc and cant find anything wrong..
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    603 Posts

‏2012-07-27T17:07:20Z  
    Have you found an answer to this problem yet ?? I am facing exactly the same error..

Is this something to do with the version of linux simulation software on my laptop ??

I have actually disabled all the firewalls etc and cant find anything wrong..
    i have tried with no entries in the /etc/hosts and also one entry.. i dont what the entry should be or how many there should be

or what "localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself." this means ??!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    603 Posts

‏2012-07-28T21:09:37Z  
    i have tried with no entries in the /etc/hosts and also one entry.. i dont what the entry should be or how many there should be

or what "localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself." this means ??!
    Hi Octane_w_ryder!

I managed to solve the problem 10 days ago... not fully understood the cause, but solved.

The only way that I've found to allow host to ping itself, was through a static IP Address.
    If DHCP is used to get an IP address when a connection is established, then "host cannot ping itself" definitively will appear.

By thing this, I've finally installed Infosphere BI and start to use it.
    The problem now is that I cannot use BI out of the physical place I've used to get a static IP address...

Hope this help you to find a way out too.

Cristián