• 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-05T21:55:07Z by christopha
gsharma84
gsharma84
8 Posts

Pinned topic Deleting a Document

‏2012-06-04T11:33:47Z |
Hi,
I was going through the java samaples(TDELETE.java) provided on the IBM Content Management Information Center for deleting a item. This program deletes a document, does this physically deletes a document from Resource Manager? or would I have to perform another delete operation to delete the item physically(from resource manager)?

I tried a similar program and after deletion I was not able to find the itemId in the itemtype table and the ICMSTITEMEVENTS table had an entry for this document as deleted. So does that mean that the document has been physically also deleted?
Please respond to my question above...
Thanks
  • JKMorrow
    JKMorrow
    44 Posts

Re: Deleting a Document

‏2012-06-04T13:37:05Z  
    When the item is deleted a row is put in the table ICMSTITEMSTODELETE, referencing the RM object. If you have a z/OS RM using OAM, running program ICMMOSDI will delete the objects from OAM.
  • gsharma84
    gsharma84
    8 Posts

‏2012-06-04T18:20:02Z  
    • JKMorrow
    • ‏2012-06-04T13:37:05Z
    When the item is deleted a row is put in the table ICMSTITEMSTODELETE, referencing the RM object. If you have a z/OS RM using OAM, running program ICMMOSDI will delete the objects from OAM.
    Hi,
    I did the same. I imported a document to Content Manager. Deleted the document via the utility. But I was not able to find an entry in the ICMSTITEMSTODELETE table for that itemId I deleted. Thats when I tried checking the ICMSTITEMEVENTS table and it said - Document Deleted.
    Did I miss something? Where else can I search for the item id? A reference would help...

Thanks
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    228 Posts

‏2012-06-05T00:55:51Z  
    • gsharma84
    • ‏2012-06-04T18:20:02Z
    Hi,
    I did the same. I imported a document to Content Manager. Deleted the document via the utility. But I was not able to find an entry in the ICMSTITEMSTODELETE table for that itemId I deleted. Thats when I tried checking the ICMSTITEMEVENTS table and it said - Document Deleted.
    Did I miss something? Where else can I search for the item id? A reference would help...

Thanks
    Hi,

For a document with parts, you will have separate itemIDs for your doc and parts. The ones go to ItemToDelete table is part itemID. You probably can check the delete time of your DocID in itemEvent and partID in itemToDelete to match.
  • MikeAA
    MikeAA
    36 Posts

‏2012-06-05T22:34:57Z  
    When an item is deleted from the library server - entries are made in the ICMITEMSTODELETE as others mentioned. The physical file is not deleted from the resource manager at that time. JKMorrow gave you what is necessary to delete the file if you are using a z/OS resource manager. If your resource manager is on any other platform then how the resource manager gets cleaned up depends on the release of Content Manager. For version 8.4.x - the resource manager checks the ICMITEMSTODELETE table every 30 minutes (by default) and processes the deletions. For earlier versions you must schedule the migration utility. The first step in the migration utility is to do the deletes.
  • gsharma84
    gsharma84
    8 Posts

‏2012-06-06T14:22:38Z  
    • MikeAA
    • ‏2012-06-05T22:34:57Z
    When an item is deleted from the library server - entries are made in the ICMITEMSTODELETE as others mentioned. The physical file is not deleted from the resource manager at that time. JKMorrow gave you what is necessary to delete the file if you are using a z/OS resource manager. If your resource manager is on any other platform then how the resource manager gets cleaned up depends on the release of Content Manager. For version 8.4.x - the resource manager checks the ICMITEMSTODELETE table every 30 minutes (by default) and processes the deletions. For earlier versions you must schedule the migration utility. The first step in the migration utility is to do the deletes.
    Hi Mike,
    thats the problem, whenever I delete an item I'm not able to see that itemID in the ICMSTITEMSTODELETE table. Is it very fast? I checked the table the moment I deleted the item and the entry was not present in the that table.
    I also tried deleting the item through the windows client and the same happened, no entry in the ICMSTITEMSTODELETE table.
    So, I'm left with the question that how should I trace the resource manager holding this file if this table is never updated.
    Also, I constantly kept checking the ICMSTITEMEVENTS table it showed the deleted item with event code 303 (Delete).
    Any suggestions as to how can I trace the item to resource manager?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    228 Posts

‏2012-06-08T18:12:55Z  
    • gsharma84
    • ‏2012-06-06T14:22:38Z
    Hi Mike,
    thats the problem, whenever I delete an item I'm not able to see that itemID in the ICMSTITEMSTODELETE table. Is it very fast? I checked the table the moment I deleted the item and the entry was not present in the that table.
    I also tried deleting the item through the windows client and the same happened, no entry in the ICMSTITEMSTODELETE table.
    So, I'm left with the question that how should I trace the resource manager holding this file if this table is never updated.
    Also, I constantly kept checking the ICMSTITEMEVENTS table it showed the deleted item with event code 303 (Delete).
    Any suggestions as to how can I trace the item to resource manager?
    I don't know for sure, but it may be the itemID of the object to delete in the ITEMSTODELETE table. This would be different than the itemID of the CM Document Model itemID. If you are familiar with the II4C APIs, this would be the itemID of the CMBObject or DKLobICM blob.

To find the name of the physical file, you'll need to know the CMBObject's ItemID and find the row in the RMOBJECTS table of the RM database. There's a column OBJ_PATH that has a number 1-99. The file will be under your LBOSDATA directory in the subdirectory named that number, and then L1.<itmeID>.V1 (V1 is for the version number if you have that implemeted)
  • gsharma84
    gsharma84
    8 Posts

‏2012-06-30T07:04:59Z  
    I don't know for sure, but it may be the itemID of the object to delete in the ITEMSTODELETE table. This would be different than the itemID of the CM Document Model itemID. If you are familiar with the II4C APIs, this would be the itemID of the CMBObject or DKLobICM blob.

To find the name of the physical file, you'll need to know the CMBObject's ItemID and find the row in the RMOBJECTS table of the RM database. There's a column OBJ_PATH that has a number 1-99. The file will be under your LBOSDATA directory in the subdirectory named that number, and then L1.<itmeID>.V1 (V1 is for the version number if you have that implemeted)
    thanks GCampbell.
    Now that I have developed some understanding of CM I feel that there is some utility that is running in the background that is emptying my ICMSTITEMSTODELETE table.
    Everytime I delete an image I'm not able to see its entry in the ICMSTITEMSTODELTE table as its getting emptied...It was only once that I saw an entry in that table and by the time i performed another select on that table, the entry was gone. Do you have any idea of any service that could be doing this...I checked purger and thats not running.
    Is there any configuration parameter that may have been set that could be emptying the ICMSTITEMSTODELTE table like the DK_CM_DESTROY_DELETE flag (If I'm correct it cause irrecoverable delete)...

thanks
  • christopha
    christopha
    23 Posts

‏2012-12-05T21:55:07Z  
    • gsharma84
    • ‏2012-06-30T07:04:59Z
    thanks GCampbell.
    Now that I have developed some understanding of CM I feel that there is some utility that is running in the background that is emptying my ICMSTITEMSTODELETE table.
    Everytime I delete an image I'm not able to see its entry in the ICMSTITEMSTODELTE table as its getting emptied...It was only once that I saw an entry in that table and by the time i performed another select on that table, the entry was gone. Do you have any idea of any service that could be doing this...I checked purger and thats not running.
    Is there any configuration parameter that may have been set that could be emptying the ICMSTITEMSTODELTE table like the DK_CM_DESTROY_DELETE flag (If I'm correct it cause irrecoverable delete)...

thanks
    According to the CM 8.4.2 Information Center the RM Migrator task does the deletion.