Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-08-08T16:16:47Z by KiYa
CJane
CJane
50 Posts

Pinned topic How do you assign a module attribute to a variable?

‏2012-06-01T16:02:37Z |
I know this general topic has been discussed a lot in this forum, but I'm still not understanding a few things.
First: the big picture: I'm trying to pull four (4) attributes from a DOORS schema into four text boxes in my master page header. The four attributes are module number, module title, module issue (a letter value), and module version (a number value).

To start this discussion, let me focus on creating a new variable for the title; I'll name this new variable moduleTitle.

Here are my questions:

1. Would this variable be internal or external? I think it's external but I'm not sure.

2. The name of the attribute in the DOORS schema is Module(DOORSModule)/Title(string). How do I assign this attribute to the variable moduleTitle?

3. In forum discussions and in the RPE User Guide I see reference to putting the new variable in a container on the template page. Is this right? If this is correct . . . since I want to create four variables for the master page header, will I need to create four containers on the template, or can I put all four variables into one container.

All help will be appreciated!
Updated on 2012-08-17T17:17:15Z at 2012-08-17T17:17:15Z by pete.giorgianni
  • CJane
    CJane
    50 Posts

Re: How do you assign a module attribute to a variable?

‏2012-06-03T18:30:44Z  
    Nevermind. Figured out how to do it. Happy to share if anybody else out there is as lost as I was.
  • jester76
    jester76
    25 Posts

‏2012-08-17T04:28:44Z  
    • CJane
    • ‏2012-06-03T18:30:44Z
    Nevermind. Figured out how to do it. Happy to share if anybody else out there is as lost as I was.
    Can you please share this information. I can not figure out how to assign variales to header in master template. Please help
  • pete.giorgianni
    pete.giorgianni
    23 Posts

‏2012-08-17T17:15:12Z  
    • jester76
    • ‏2012-08-17T04:28:44Z
    Can you please share this information. I can not figure out how to assign variales to header in master template. Please help
    I made this simple 2-slide ppt for a customer once that shows variables and how to use them.

Regards,

Pete
  • pete.giorgianni
    pete.giorgianni
    23 Posts

‏2012-08-17T17:17:15Z  
    I made this simple 2-slide ppt for a customer once that shows variables and how to use them.

Regards,

Pete
    And now for the ppt...
  • KiYa
    KiYa
    2 Posts

‏2014-08-04T13:49:27Z  
    And now for the ppt...

Dear Pete / Jester, I would be much interested in your instructions to do what the thread's title suggests? Could anyone repost Pete's 2-slide ppt? It's not accessible here (anymore)  ... many thanks indeed.

• ChrisHardy68
    ChrisHardy68
    86 Posts

‏2014-08-04T21:04:15Z  
    • KiYa
    • ‏2014-08-04T13:49:27Z

Dear Pete / Jester, I would be much interested in your instructions to do what the thread's title suggests? Could anyone repost Pete's 2-slide ppt? It's not accessible here (anymore)  ... many thanks indeed.

Hi

The basic steps are:

1 Create a variable (Internal)

2 In the template create a container at the module level if you do not already have one

3. inside this container create a new container

4. In the new container select the properties and click on then Assignment button

5. Click Add and select the variable you created

6. In the dialog presented select the Data Expression tab. From here select the module attribute you wish too use.

You can now use the variable in the tile page or where ever you wish

Hope that helps

• Kumaraswamy M
    Kumaraswamy M
    251 Posts

‏2014-08-05T04:07:19Z  

Hi

The basic steps are:

2 In the template create a container at the module level if you do not already have one

4. In the new container select the properties and click on then Assignment button

6. In the dialog presented select the Data Expression tab. From here select the module attribute you wish too use.

Hope that helps

That's perfect, Chris!

Additionally, use "Javascript" studio palette element for assignment instead of going through Assignment on a container. The advantage is that you could see the assignment logic directly on the template without having to open the assignment editor.

Thanks,

Kumar

• KiYa
    KiYa
    2 Posts

‏2014-08-08T16:16:47Z  

Hi

The basic steps are:

Hope that helps

Dear Chris, thanks for this! Cheers, Kian