Topic
9 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-07T10:33:42Z by Jasi
bobreaman
bobreaman
7 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Successful implementation of JSF 2.0 in Websphere Server 7.0 (WAS 7)

‏2012-06-01T14:57:52Z |
Technically, JSF 2.0 requires java 1.5 or later, JSP 2.1, JSTL 1.2 and a Java Servlet 2.5 implementation, they are supported by WAS 7.0

Based on Google search, I was not able to locate any official support announcements, except how to change default JSF Implementation (even they only explains about JSF1.2). I have found fix pack (myfaces http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&uid=swg1PM40949) and forum discussions nothing ended any final answer as Yes or No.

I would like to ask the developer groups from IBM or Others from all over the world, do you have successful implementation of JSF 2.0 with WAS 7.0. If you are successful what type of JSF (Sun or MyFaces) and version has been used? Please also specify the Fixpack version of WAS 7 server.
Updated on 2013-01-07T10:33:42Z at 2013-01-07T10:33:42Z by Jasi
  • adbdkb
    adbdkb
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Successful implementation of JSF 2.0 in Websphere Server 7.0 (WAS 7)

‏2012-06-01T15:40:08Z  in response to bobreaman
    In our company we have successfully implemented JSF 2.0 with WAS 7 ( 7.0.0.15 in production, 7.0.0.19 on development boxes ). We have done this for over a year and have a lot of applications running in production without any issues.

We have used Mojarra ( do not remember the current version ). We use PF component library and had some incompatibilities / issues with MyFaces so we chose Mojarra
    • bobreaman
      bobreaman
      7 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-01T16:19:55Z  in response to adbdkb
      Thanks for the reply.
      jsf jar file META-INF\MAINFEST.MF usually has the build/implementaion version number.
      By the way do you use Prime Faces 2.x or 3.x? any advise on deployment specific configurations (like parent_last etc)?
  • bobreaman
    bobreaman
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-01T16:36:28Z  in response to bobreaman
    Please update your successful note here, so that people like me find this helpful in their future impementations.
    • adbdkb
      adbdkb
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-01T16:49:04Z  in response to bobreaman
      I don't have any workspace / project at hand at the moment - so can't fine out the version ( thanks for the info, but I knew about it :) ) - mbut i think we are using the javax.faces-2.1.6 or 2.1.7

We use PF 3.1 ( 3.2 had some issues with datatable )

You need to make sure that you set-up the classloader to be PARENT_LAST on both EAR and WAR modules ( in RAD ), in WAS I believe it has a different terminology

Hope this is helpful
      • Jasi
        Jasi
        41 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-04T06:39:28Z  in response to adbdkb
        Guys, check this out ... http://wasbehindtheglass.blogspot.in/2011/11/myfaces-20-and-websphere-application.html
        This has been tried with success.
        Do let me know if any issues.
        • bobreaman
          bobreaman
          7 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-08T13:02:27Z  in response to Jasi
          I would like to give it a try, I will follow the steps posted on the blog. I would like to drop in Prime faces 3.3 showcase, do the necessary config or changes and make it fully functional in WAS 7.

I will update my experiences in few days.
          • bobreaman
            bobreaman
            7 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-15T13:44:54Z  in response to bobreaman
            I made good progress last night.

I was able to prime faces showcases (3.3.1) and primefaces-extension showscases (0.5) with help of JBoss-EL (2.0.2CR1) and Isolated shared library of Sun JSF 2.1.9. There is some updates required to web.xml make Websphere server (like enabling JBoss EL, adding mime types for PNG etc). Soon I will post them in Github.

-Bob.
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              6420 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-04T20:05:41Z  in response to bobreaman
              Can you please give a step by step detail about how you did it. I added shared library but the application doesn't work. I've an application with xhtml pages using facelets, primefaces 3, richfaces 4 and client requires it to be run on WAS 7.0.0.21. Or just give a link of any solution that you have posted.
              Thanks.
              • Jasi
                Jasi
                41 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-07T10:33:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                I think it would serve you better if you can simply post a fresh thread reporting your problem including what all you tried.