• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-06-06T06:54:19Z by SystemAdmin
ober76
ober76
3 Posts

Pinned topic ORABR_CONF.TXT questions

‏2012-05-31T20:20:51Z |
Hello,

Could you comment on the following settings in the ORABR_CONF.TXT, I have put my questions next to them in brackets:
DR HANG TIME IN MINUTES (Is this the amount of time a DR waits and then on expiration fails that chain and goes to the next?)

JOB ACTIVITY TIMEOUT (Is this the amount of time that a local backup job waits and then fails if no activity)

PERIODIC CHECK RESET TIMEOUT (Is this for local or DR or both)

DEFAULT POLICY SCRIPTS TIMEOUT (pre and post backup scripts?)
Thank you

Geoff
Updated on 2012-06-06T06:54:19Z at 2012-06-06T06:54:19Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    68 Posts

Re: ORABR_CONF.TXT questions

‏2012-06-05T19:08:43Z  
    Hello,

DR External Process Hang Time in Minutes
    How many minutes until determining that DR phase1/2 is hanging and DR goes to next chain

Job activity timeout
    Every snapshot job is monitored for an activity and if no activity was during "Job activity timeout" monutes the job is aborted.

Periodic Check Reset Timeout
    Periodically every program thread is checked if it is working and if any of them is not working for "Periodic Check Reset Timeout" minutes the Fastback server will restart.

Default policy scripts timeout
    Every time the pilicy script (pre and post) is running the system waits for
    "Default policy scripts timeout" seconds before killing it.
  • ober76
    ober76
    3 Posts

‏2012-06-05T20:15:15Z  
    Hello,

DR External Process Hang Time in Minutes
    How many minutes until determining that DR phase1/2 is hanging and DR goes to next chain

Job activity timeout
    Every snapshot job is monitored for an activity and if no activity was during "Job activity timeout" monutes the job is aborted.

Periodic Check Reset Timeout
    Periodically every program thread is checked if it is working and if any of them is not working for "Periodic Check Reset Timeout" minutes the Fastback server will restart.

Default policy scripts timeout
    Every time the pilicy script (pre and post) is running the system waits for
    "Default policy scripts timeout" seconds before killing it.
    Thank you Alexey,

This is very useful as I could not find any info in the documentation about this.

I would really appreciate it if you could answer just a couple more questions about settings in that file:
    What does the DR Optimization Percentage do? (would this be something that could be tweaked depending on different bandwidth?)

and

Enable DAT Files Rename Optimization (Does this have something to do with the cleanup?)
    Again thank you very much
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    68 Posts

‏2012-06-06T06:54:19Z  
    • ober76
    • ‏2012-06-05T20:15:15Z
    Thank you Alexey,

This is very useful as I could not find any info in the documentation about this.

I would really appreciate it if you could answer just a couple more questions about settings in that file:
    What does the DR Optimization Percentage do? (would this be something that could be tweaked depending on different bandwidth?)

and

Enable DAT Files Rename Optimization (Does this have something to do with the cleanup?)
    Again thank you very much
    DR Optimization Percentage
    The ratio between storage capacity growth and WAN capacity transfer. 0 - meaning maximal disk cleanup, 100 - minimal disk cleanup and lowest bandwidth requirements.
    Note: Disk cleanup policy affects the bandwidth required for the replication process. The more expired data and its underlying storage is freed up, the more bandwidth is required, since some data may have to be retransmitted.

Enable DAT Files Rename Optimization
    Sppeds up the cleanup process by moving whole data files from old snapshot to newly created instead of copying its data.

*WARNING
    Please note, that is it highly recommended NOT to alter configuration files entries without consulting technical support stuff!!!*