4 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-01-07T21:41:32Z by EdG0212
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
304 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Optim Compare

‏2012-05-31T06:34:12Z |
Hello,

I want to ask about Optim Compare. This utility can be used to modify the archive file with the latest update in the database, please correct me if I'm wrong.

When I used Optim 7.3, I modify some record in the database and when I run compare, the old archive file will be modified.

But when I used Optim 8.1, I run the same step, and I got warning message (same with Optim 7.3) "the compare process will modify Archive file xxx.AF. This modification is irreversible." But nothing changed in the Archive File.

Anyone got the same problem ?

Regards,

Deny Sutani
Updated on 2012-06-06T23:53:56Z at 2012-06-06T23:53:56Z by Ducatiman
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    304 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Optim Compare

‏2012-05-31T11:31:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Deny,

Unfortunately you are mistaken. Optim Compare simply provides a side-by-side comparison of the data in a the database at two points in time. This is used primarily for test data management to confirm the expected changes to the data have taken place after running your tests.

Please note that there is also no easy or direct way to modify the data in an archive file. Archive files are immutable. That is, by modifying them, you actually destroy the ability to access the data. Archive files were designed this way for audit and compliance reasons. You can assure any auditor that the archives are accurate snapshots of the data at the time of the archive. (There are a few utilities like pr0cmnd /MIGRATE that will change certain things about an archive file, but you'll notice that the archives are recreated completely during those processes)

If you want the updates to the database incorporated into an archive, you will have to run the archive again to pick up any new data. If you want a consolidated view of multiple archive files and you have the ODM, you can build archive file collections to do that.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      304 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-04T11:07:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi John,

Thanks for your response. I've tried again optim compare in 7.3 and what I said earlier is not happened.
      I think I made mistake open extract file (not the archive file) after I changed the database.

But I still confused, what modification will happen in this warning message ?

Regards,

Deny Sutani
  • Ducatiman
    Ducatiman
    58 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-06T23:53:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi as John mentioned, the COMPARE utility only compares the contents between either database tables, Optim extract/archive files, or a combination betweem them.

The COMPARE utility will create (or overwrite if exists) a compare file (e.g. results.cmp).
    If you are comparing information from a database table then a temporary extract file will be created also.

• Duc
    • EdG0212
      EdG0212
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-07T21:41:32Z  in response to Ducatiman

In order to compare two tables Optim Compare must first sort the rows (by match keys).  This is accomplished by re-ordering the  pointers to each row; these are called Relative Byte Addresses or RBAs. The "irreversible modification" that Optim warns you about is the rewriting of the RBAs.

However, even though the archive/extract file that participates in a Compare process has been physically altered it is still logically identical to its pre-Compare state.

Ed