• 12 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-06-17T09:28:24Z by Chris01
dznunn
dznunn
1 Post

Pinned topic 3573-L2U Incompatible magazine

‏2012-05-28T13:51:26Z |
Hi All

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I have a 3573-L2U tape library, we were having problems with it (Windows server it's attached to reports it as unable to start). So having a poke around in the config I found that it had 3 i/o stations when it should have 1. So I upgraded to the latest firmware but now the library complains that the left hand magazine is incompatible.

I cannot access the web interface anymore, when I log in I get the message "Incompatible Magazine. Please change the left magazine via OCP". If I eject the mag and re-insert, the OCP displays incompatible magazine.

What should I do next?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Dave
Updated on 2012-10-24T19:24:49Z at 2012-10-24T19:24:49Z by SystemAdmin
  • NTL
    NTL
    1 Post

Re: 3573-L2U Incompatible magazine

‏2012-07-09T16:02:22Z  
    Did you ever find a solution to this problem Dave? I've had the exact same problem. Started getting the "incompatible magazine" a year or two ago but was still able to use the TS3100. Today I just upgraded the firmware of the library from 9.20 to A60 to fix another issue and now I can't even log into the web interface because of the incompatible magazine message. As a result, I don't even have the option of downgrading the firmware to get where I was before (able to use the web interface). If anyone else has a suggestion it would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Nathan
  • Stanzak
    Stanzak
    1 Post

‏2012-08-30T12:57:58Z  
    • NTL
    • ‏2012-07-09T16:02:22Z
    Did you ever find a solution to this problem Dave? I've had the exact same problem. Started getting the "incompatible magazine" a year or two ago but was still able to use the TS3100. Today I just upgraded the firmware of the library from 9.20 to A60 to fix another issue and now I can't even log into the web interface because of the incompatible magazine message. As a result, I don't even have the option of downgrading the firmware to get where I was before (able to use the web interface). If anyone else has a suggestion it would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Nathan
    Hello,

I have same problem. Do you have any fix or workaround ?

Pelase contact at stanzak123(at)yahoo.com
  • pdsharpe
    pdsharpe
    1 Post

‏2012-09-03T09:20:27Z  
    I too have exactly the same issue.
    Currently waiting for a hardware engineer to arrive on site.
    If I get any info on this issue I will post on here
  • Oubyone
    Oubyone
    1 Post

‏2012-09-07T13:16:32Z  
    Hi all,

I have the same problem. Please can you give us an answer.

Thanks.
  • Petter(Lan-x)
    Petter(Lan-x)
    1 Post

‏2012-10-08T07:58:20Z  
    Hi :)
    I have the same problem on my T3100 Library, and it's drivin' me nuts!!
    Did anybody find a solution for this?

-Petter
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts

‏2012-10-24T19:24:49Z  
    Hi :)
    I have the same problem on my T3100 Library, and it's drivin' me nuts!!
    Did anybody find a solution for this?

-Petter
    I found a solution but no one will like it. There are multiple components to this unit, the magazines, the drive, the nic and the entire chassis unit. The incompatible magazine can only mean two things. First would be that a piece of plastic broke off on the back of the magazine. I don't believe anyone is having that situation. The only thing that I have seen is that the arm in the chassis is having issues detecting anything on the left side. IBM's only option would be to replace the chassis unit. The drive, nic, and magazines are fine and swappable. Unfortunately IBM has this chassis unit listed at 4000. I hope this helps everyone because I really didn't want to replace the unit.
  • MuhammadFurqan
    MuhammadFurqan
    1 Post

‏2013-08-05T05:47:01Z  
    I found a solution but no one will like it. There are multiple components to this unit, the magazines, the drive, the nic and the entire chassis unit. The incompatible magazine can only mean two things. First would be that a piece of plastic broke off on the back of the magazine. I don't believe anyone is having that situation. The only thing that I have seen is that the arm in the chassis is having issues detecting anything on the left side. IBM's only option would be to replace the chassis unit. The drive, nic, and magazines are fine and swappable. Unfortunately IBM has this chassis unit listed at 4000. I hope this helps everyone because I really didn't want to replace the unit.

Recently I installed an our client, TS3100 FC. For about a week, It worked fine , but when yesterday, support personnel changed the tape cartridges, and tried to login to the WEBGUI of library to manage and move the tape to drive, it showed following error on screen.

tape error

and the tape library showed this "Scanning" message on its panel and none of any function worked properly

IMAG0480

I tried every possible method of re installing drivers, pulling magazines manually from back using Access hole (small hatches, facing rear of the library) with pin, but no use.

After carefully deep inspection, I found out that the support personnel remove the MAGAZINE FIDUCIALS by mistake (plastic part attached with the every level of magazine where the cartridge is placed) , the support personnel thought it was some sort of un necessary packing ☻

As showed in the image below . . .

fudicials

IMAG0518

After placing the Magazine Fiducials back to its place, every thing worked fine.
    Also make sure that you are using the latest Firmware, it helps too :)

Magazine Fiducials  are location sensors utilized by the library accessors.

Possibly it may help some one else too, because in my personal experience, If you don't have SLA or service contract with the IBM or there vendors, you won't gonna find much support over the web or in local market.

• Tulein
    Tulein
    33 Posts

‏2013-08-05T17:55:38Z  

I had a similar situation and the only way  I found to solve the problem was replacing the Chassis Unit

• MikeFord
    MikeFord
    1 Post

‏2013-10-22T19:53:00Z  
    • Tulein
    • ‏2013-08-05T17:55:38Z

I had a similar situation and the only way  I found to solve the problem was replacing the Chassis Unit

The company I work for is an IBM refurbisher.  I work on IBM tape all day.  I fixed this by swapping out the picker and LED display from a damaged system into this one.  Works like a charm - had to take a chance because I would have been required to purchase an additional $1200 encrytion key.

While I am not sure which part fixed the unit - a $600 damaged unit saved us $4000 for a chassis and $1200 for encrytion key

• BOB_tt
    BOB_tt
    1 Post

‏2013-12-31T13:55:40Z  

Recently I installed an our client, TS3100 FC. For about a week, It worked fine , but when yesterday, support personnel changed the tape cartridges, and tried to login to the WEBGUI of library to manage and move the tape to drive, it showed following error on screen.

tape error

and the tape library showed this "Scanning" message on its panel and none of any function worked properly

IMAG0480

I tried every possible method of re installing drivers, pulling magazines manually from back using Access hole (small hatches, facing rear of the library) with pin, but no use.

After carefully deep inspection, I found out that the support personnel remove the MAGAZINE FIDUCIALS by mistake (plastic part attached with the every level of magazine where the cartridge is placed) , the support personnel thought it was some sort of un necessary packing ☻

As showed in the image below . . .

fudicials

IMAG0518

After placing the Magazine Fiducials back to its place, every thing worked fine.
    Also make sure that you are using the latest Firmware, it helps too :)

Magazine Fiducials  are location sensors utilized by the library accessors.

Possibly it may help some one else too, because in my personal experience, If you don't have SLA or service contract with the IBM or there vendors, you won't gonna find much support over the web or in local market.

I had similar problem on TS 3100 tape library (Incomaptible left magazines! message). I found that setting configuration the I/O slot to disable, restating the library and than setting it to enable state solves the problem.

• KorRay
    KorRay
    1 Post

‏2014-01-30T17:42:47Z  

OK je lis l'anglais mais je ne l'écris pas. Désolé de répondre en français. :)

J'avais le même problème que vous, j'étais désespéré et j'étais prêt à racheter un châssis.
    Après multiple recherche sur internet, forum et documentation, Je suis tombé sur une note qu'on pouvait se connecter par Telnet sur le TS3100.
    Mais aucune documentation sur les commandes disponibles par Telnet sur le TS3100. Je trouve que IBM pourrait mettre à disposition ce genre de documentation qu'on puisse se débrouiller nous même. Nous sommes quand même des informaticiens et nous sommes capable de comprendre un minimum le fonctionnement d'une librairie. Et ça sans devoir passer par de la formation IBM qui coûte du temps et la peau du dos (pour rester poli), partenaire IBM ou je ne sais quoi encore. Bref, j'ai trouvé la solution tout par hasard un soir où je m'énervais contre ce TS3100:

- Eteindre la librairie.
    - Allumer la librairie.
    - Pendant le démarrage (Scanning...), Aller dans le menu « service -> Telnet service port » sur OCP.
    - Telnet sur l'adresse IP de librairie puis taper « login », User name « admin », password « <password> »
    - Taper « RestoreDBRob » ou l'équivalent « rsdb »
    La librairie charge une config puis reboot et OK.

En espérant avoir aidé quelques-uns et pas passer, comme moi, près de 6heures à trouver une solution (Merci IBM).
    Raymond

• Chris01
    Chris01
    1 Post

‏2014-06-17T09:28:24Z  

Hi guys,

One more methods I tried, it might sound little silly, but it worked for me, was to swap left magazines between them, re-inventory library and everything went OK.

Hope this also helps