Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-05-29T13:16:31Z by YU1E_Wataru_Taniguchi
YU1E_Wataru_Taniguchi
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to Obtain a Copy of sMash Enterprise Packager

‏2012-05-27T08:22:40Z |
Hi,

I tried several times to download the sMash Enterprise Packager only to find out the download page keeps insisting me to have a valid Project Zero login account,
https://www.projectzero.org/zeroreg/packager/
while the project says new registrations are suspended:
https://www.projectzero.org/zeroreg/register/

IBM id does not work either.
Can anyone kindly suggest how I may obtain a copy of the Enterprise Packager?
Thank you in advance.

Wataru Taniguchi
Enterprise Architect
Prudential Japan
wataru.taniguchi@prudential.co.jp
Updated on 2012-05-29T13:16:31Z at 2012-05-29T13:16:31Z by YU1E_Wataru_Taniguchi
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9224 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to Obtain a Copy of sMash Enterprise Packager

‏2012-05-29T10:38:23Z  in response to YU1E_Wataru_Taniguchi
    Hello Wataru,
    The enterprise packager was introduced as an unsupported technology preview several years ago. It did not generate the interest required to drive continued development and has been abandoned and unlinked from the main projectzero website, but there are enough live links in old forum posts and cached content that the landing page was still accessible. Since we get this question about once a year, I've tried to make it more clear on the packager landing page that this is an obsolete, abandoned project. I apologize for your time spent researching this.
    • YU1E_Wataru_Taniguchi
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-29T10:52:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thank you very much for having answered to my question.

It is not just old forum posts and cached content but the commercial software feature description from IBM:
      http://www-01.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/was/featurepacks/dynamicscripting/features/?S_CMP=wspace

"Community-supported centralized management and deployment -- sMash Enterprise Packager -- available on the Project Zero community Web site"

I suspect that IBM's intention in providing the feature pack "WebSphere Application Server Feature Pack for Dynamic Scripting" is for its customers to allow deploying their sMash-based application onto WAS 6.1 and 7.0 servers.
      However, the problem is AppBuilder does not generate ear files. That is why I was looking for the non-existing Enterprise Packager.

Do you have any suggestions?

Rgds,

Wataru
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        9224 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-29T11:24:12Z  in response to YU1E_Wataru_Taniguchi
        Hosting sMash apps on already-deployed WebSphere Application Server infrastructure was certainly a direction we had hoped that the Packager would drive, but there was not significant community interest in the Packager to continue pursuing the technology at that time.

The chief alternative to sMash in a WAS/JEE environment is JAX-RS, which provides a standards-based alternative for RESTful services and has been embraced by the WAS/JEE community. The upcoming Liberty Profile in WAS 8.5 provides a small-footprint, highly agile, standards-based server environment for simplified application deployment. There is no alternative for re-hosting a custom sMash application as an ear/war on a JEE server.
        • YU1E_Wataru_Taniguchi
          3 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-29T13:16:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Jeff (my apology if I am mistaken for I only guessed from your account name),

Thank you for your reply with clear explanation. Understood.

JAX-RS may not be an alternative as we were looking at the feature in order for us to use PHP on WAS as a tool to enable a rapid development of tiny enterprise business applications. But it's ok, we will find another way.

Now, it is surprising that even rather recent announcement letter from IBM regarding WAS 8.0, dated on April 5, 2011, includes "WAS Feature Pack for Dynamic Scripting," which really is sMash, as its option. The naming of the feature pack (and its description on IBM web pages) gives WAS customers an illusion that the feature pack enables the use of the script languages on WAS.

I will get in touch with IBM and suggest them not to describe the feature pack in conjunction with WebSphere Application Server. I see that the sMash execution environment works very well as standalone server, however has nothing to do with WAS.

Wataru