Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-05-26T16:46:54Z by SystemAdmin
Bucknut05
Bucknut05
2 Posts

Pinned topic External load balancing benefit?

‏2012-05-25T14:33:15Z |
If we create a IBM Application Network Deployment with the IHS located directly on each WebSphere node (rather than a remote IHS), is there a benefit to having an external load balancer spread the requests across the WebSphere nodes? My thought was that since the plugin handles workload management by round robin, if we have a load balancer as well isn't this over doing it or wasted resources?
Updated on 2012-05-26T16:46:54Z at 2012-05-26T16:46:54Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3908 Posts

Re: External load balancing benefit?

‏2012-05-25T15:41:04Z  
    Usually you need a load balancer to have more than 1 instance of a webserver frontending a client-addressable domain/IP address. How would work find its way to your ND cluster with N webservers?
  • Bucknut05
    Bucknut05
    2 Posts

‏2012-05-26T12:59:54Z  
    Usually you need a load balancer to have more than 1 instance of a webserver frontending a client-addressable domain/IP address. How would work find its way to your ND cluster with N webservers?
    That's the part I wasn't 100% about is if the webservers themselves, say across 4 nodes, had load balancing between them. Typical setup for us is 4 nodes, with 3 jvms each and each node has a webserver. Saw some diagrams online made it look like the webservers themselves would load balance across the JVMs (spanning multiple nodes).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3908 Posts

‏2012-05-26T16:46:54Z  
    • Bucknut05
    • ‏2012-05-26T12:59:54Z
    That's the part I wasn't 100% about is if the webservers themselves, say across 4 nodes, had load balancing between them. Typical setup for us is 4 nodes, with 3 jvms each and each node has a webserver. Saw some diagrams online made it look like the webservers themselves would load balance across the JVMs (spanning multiple nodes).
    > Bucknut05 wrote:
    > That's the part I wasn't 100% about is if the webservers themselves, say across 4 nodes, had load balancing between them. Typical setup for us is 4 nodes, with 3 jvms each and each node has a webserver. Saw some diagrams online made it look like the webservers themselves would load balance across the JVMs (spanning multiple nodes).
    The webservers typically do, but if you've got multiple webservers (for the same application mapped to your cluster) you still have to handle how you actually send traffic to multiple webservers.

--
    Eric Covener
    IBM HTTP Server and Apache Development