• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-06-11T05:08:21Z by anabatic_aal
anabatic_aal
anabatic_aal
3 Posts

Pinned topic Db2 command editor closed but backend still processing

‏2012-05-25T01:58:52Z |
Hi there, i need some opinion/suggestion

Im using db2 command editor (db2ce) v9.7 as a query tool and mmy database is in As400 platform.
Lets say i have a query that take 10 mins to show the result. Somehow before 10 min, my db2ce window is closed accidentally or theres a LAN disconnected. But my query is still running at backend as400 and it takes alot of resources.
Is there a way that when db2ce close, job process backend also stop immediately ?
Is there any settings in db2 command editor interface ?

Thanks before.
Updated on 2012-06-11T05:08:21Z at 2012-06-11T05:08:21Z by anabatic_aal
  • lenkum
    lenkum
    1 Post

Re: Db2 command editor closed but backend still processing

‏2012-05-28T03:17:57Z  
    It also happened to me. The session wont drop in as400.
    Is it a nature of db2ce query tool when connecting to as400 ?
    I used to play with oracle db and query tools, but never happened like this.
  • krmilligan
    krmilligan
    450 Posts

‏2012-05-31T20:31:07Z  
    • lenkum
    • ‏2012-05-28T03:17:57Z
    It also happened to me. The session wont drop in as400.
    Is it a nature of db2ce query tool when connecting to as400 ?
    I used to play with oracle db and query tools, but never happened like this.
    Not sure if the DB2 Command Editor supports a Cancel capability, but System i Navigator Run SQL Script interface supports a Cancel function to stop the back-end processing.

You might want to investigate the settings of the QINACTITV & QINACTMSGQ system values.
  • anabatic_aal
    anabatic_aal
    3 Posts

‏2012-06-05T01:48:27Z  
    Not sure if the DB2 Command Editor supports a Cancel capability, but System i Navigator Run SQL Script interface supports a Cancel function to stop the back-end processing.

You might want to investigate the settings of the QINACTITV & QINACTMSGQ system values.
    Thanks krmilligan for your input.
    I have tested with iNavigator Run SQL Script which is "cwbunds" interface, and yes it is better than db2ce. As my case above, somehow at back-end the process will be ended automatically withing 20 min (i dont do any settings in as400).
  • krmilligan
    krmilligan
    450 Posts

‏2012-06-07T15:42:12Z  
    Thanks krmilligan for your input.
    I have tested with iNavigator Run SQL Script which is "cwbunds" interface, and yes it is better than db2ce. As my case above, somehow at back-end the process will be ended automatically withing 20 min (i dont do any settings in as400).
    Didn't fully understand your response. Are you saying that the Run SQL Scripts Cancel support does not stop the back-end processing?
  • anabatic_aal
    anabatic_aal
    3 Posts

‏2012-06-11T05:08:21Z  
    Didn't fully understand your response. Are you saying that the Run SQL Scripts Cancel support does not stop the back-end processing?
    I meant i dont use cancel support. What i did was, at the time i executed the query, i immediately unplug LAN cable. So here i try to create an abnormal condition and watch the as400 backend process condition. Run SQL Scripts client will obviously hang which is ok, but backend is still running in as400. I dont do any setting yet in QINACTITV & QINACTMSGQ system values as you said, but somehow within 20 min backend process ends automatically.