8 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-05-28T12:29:43Z by GovindDhume
GovindDhume
GovindDhume
9 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Impact 6.1 Installation - Not able to launch the TIP console

‏2012-05-24T10:02:59Z |
Hi,

I have installed Impact 6.1 choosing both the Impact Server and GUI Server. The installation logs did show some errors as given below but the installation completed.

2012-05-24 00:22:10.661-07:00 : FINE : COIEventType.ERROR (from com.ibm.ac.coi.ext.ia.COIWrapperPluginImpl.eventOccurred)
2012-05-24 00:22:10.668-07:00 : FINE : MachinePlanEventOccurred(An exception was received during the processing of MachinePlan: localhost. See the Exception Stack Trace for more information.) (from com.ibm.ac.coi.ext.ia.COIWrapperPluginImpl

I proceeded with starting the Impact server and GUI server using $IMPACT_HOME/bin/ewasImpactStartStop.sh script as given in the documentation. The logs (netcool.log) show that the Impact server has started fine. However I not able to access the TIP. I tried the following URL and it did not work – http://<hostname>:16310/ibm/console.
Could you please let me know the procedure to access the TIP console?

Attaching the netcool.log for reference.

Thanks,
Govind Dhume
Updated on 2012-05-28T12:29:43Z at 2012-05-28T12:29:43Z by GovindDhume
  • sunjit
    sunjit
    95 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Impact 6.1 Installation - Not able to launch the TIP console

‏2012-05-24T12:43:20Z  in response to GovindDhume
    Did you start the GUI Server using ewasGUIStartStop.sh? If you did, there must be a netcoolgui.log file created in your IMPACT_HOME/logs folder. Check if you see anything mentioned there.

Regards,
    Sunjit
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    255 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-24T18:59:31Z  in response to GovindDhume
    You also need to start the TIP profile.

$IMPACT_HOME/bin/ewasGUIStartStop.sh

Once started, you should be able to access the Impact UI in TIP by going to http://<hostname>:<port>/ibm/console

Oskar Zinger
    Product Architect - Netcool/Impact
    • thomaspdaniel
      thomaspdaniel
      63 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-24T19:05:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      regarding starting the TIP profile
      I got bit by that as well. Why 2 scripts? I don't want to see the websphere ugliness, I just want to start and use the application. :)
      • sunjit
        sunjit
        95 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-24T19:15:40Z  in response to thomaspdaniel
        UI and Server are separate, each using a separate profile in Websphere. You can do a UI only install or server only install. Having separate scripts gives you more flexibility and control in such deploymets.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        255 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-24T19:52:35Z  in response to thomaspdaniel
        We have two scripts available for starting the Server and UI profiles. As Sunjit has specified, because these are two separate components and are deployed separately.

If you install Impact Server and GUI Server, the two scripts are available:
        $IMPACT_HOME/bin/ewasImpactStartStop.sh | .bat
        $IMPACT_HOME/bin/ewasGUIStartStop.sh | .bat

If you install just Impact Server, you only have:
        $IMPACT_HOME/bin/ewasImpactStartStop.sh | .bat

If you install just GUI Server, you only have:
        $IMPACT_HOME/bin/ewasGUIStartStop.sh | .bat

Considering, we could have a single script that wraps these two scripts and starts | stops those components that are available, for example:
        $IMPACT_HOME/bin/ewasImpactSuiteStartStop.sh | .bat

But you could also easily create one for the convenience (this is just a skeleton):

#!/bin/sh

binDir=`dirname $0`
        if http:// -f $binDir/ewasGUIStartStop.sh
        // run GUI server stop | start

if http:// -f $binDir/ewasImpactStartStop.sh
        // run Impact Server stop | start
        Oskar Zinger
        Product Architect - Netcool/Impact
        • GovindDhume
          GovindDhume
          9 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-25T08:00:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Thanks for your responses Oskar and sunjit. I sense some installation issue here.

1. I did the install in console mode on my Solaris Sparc machine. During the install - in the Choose Impact Server Type, I selected both the GUI Server and Impact Server. So I presume that both the Impact Server and GUI server got installed.

2. In my $IMPACT_HOME/bin, I see only ewasImpactStartStop.sh and a bunch of other nci_* scripts. I do not see ewasGUIStartStop.sh. Does it mean there was a problem with the installation. I verified that the script is also not present in $TIP_HOME/bin.

3. I tried to start the TIP portal using $TIP_HOME/bin/startServer server1. However this profile is used by the Impact server. Could someone please explain how I can create a new profile for my GUI server?

4. During installation, I did see the following exception in my Install Log:
          eployement Plan execution general failure:
          Additional Notes: FATAL ERROR - The Deployement Plan Execution failed.

Custom Action: com.ibm.ac.coi.ext.ia.plugin.COIProcessPlan
          Additional Notes: FATAL ERROR - class com.ibm.ac.coi.ext.ia.plugin.COIProcessPlan FatalInstallException: The Deployment Plan Execution Failed.
          Attaching my install log file for your reference. (Since this forum allows only single attachment, I am attaching the detail log file).

Need your expert opinion on how to move forward. Should I uninstall my Impact package and DE and then deploy only the Impact Server followed by a separate installation of the GUI server?

Thanks,
          Govind Dhume
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            255 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-25T15:20:58Z  in response to GovindDhume
            Hi Govind,

I kind of experienced same issue when I installed Impact 6.1. I had to install both GUI and Impact server and TIP framework on the same machine. After the installation, I saw the issue that I didn't have all the executables in the $IMPACT_HOME/bin. Install says successful, but it had some issues for starting the Impact and accessing it. Tried couple of times by increading memory (RAM) on my system and finally it installed and got everything running successfully. I am not sure 100% if the memory is the reason, but by going through some install docs, I thought we need more memory.

Please Check your memory settings, since you are installing everything on the same machine, it may need more memory. I had 3GB RAM when I got installed for my configuration, but you can check documentation, you may need different for your configuration. There might be other reasons why it is failing to run, but this is just my thoughts.

Thanks,
            Raji.
            • GovindDhume
              GovindDhume
              9 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-28T12:29:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              I tried to do the install differently today. I first installed Impact Server. I am able to start the Impact server fine using $IMPACT_HOME/bin/ewasImpactStartStop.sh start command.

I then installed the GUI server separately on the same machine within the same TIP. The installation completed with some errors (same errors were observed during the Impact server installation). I observed that the $IMPACT_HOME/bin/ewasGUIStartStop.sh script to start the GUI server is not available in the $IMPACT_HOME/bin folder.

I did check $TIPHOME/profiles and see 2 server profiles there: ImpactProfile and TIPProfile. Could someone tell me what are the default server names that are setup so that I can start the servers using the generic $TIPHOME/bin/startServer script. I believe the Impact server is server1. Is the GUI Server setup as server2?

Seems to be a very wierd issue where some files are not getting installed.

Thanks,
              Govind