Topic
10 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-06-20T13:53:44Z by gulfsoft
AntonZ
AntonZ
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RESTful API for accessing events data: where can I find docs/exampes?

‏2012-05-22T10:48:45Z |
Hi All,

I'm trying to find a way to retrieve data from netcool impact data sources using RESTful services. To be more specific this data is a part of incoming event and stored in the database.
The infocenter says that in netcool impact 5.1 there is a "REST API for the data access layer", but I couldn't find the reference doc or user's guide. I have found a devWorks article (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-impactJRulesInt/index.html?ca=drs-) that also states the following:
"The Impact server also exposes the data through Restful APIs. This Restful API provides a way to retrieve the data from the configured Data source and Data type. In this scenario the end user does not have to define a policy to retrieve the data. They could use their favourite HTTP Client to retrieve the data. The data can be returned as JSON format or XML format. This alternative access pattern has not been included in the walkthrough in the next section." So it seems that funcitonality is really available.

Any links to documentation or examples are very appreciated.

Thanks1
Updated on 2012-06-20T13:53:44Z at 2012-06-20T13:53:44Z by gulfsoft
  • AntonZ
    AntonZ
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RESTful API for accessing events data: where can I find docs/exampes?

‏2012-05-23T10:33:31Z  in response to AntonZ
    It seems that nobody used that functionality.

Maybe there are some other ways to interact externaly with netcool impact? I need to retreve programmatically some events data.

Thanks!
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      255 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-23T10:51:17Z  in response to AntonZ
      Hi,
      There is a webservices interface available to interact with Impact.

What version of impact are you using ?

Thanks and Regards
      Sudhakar
      • AntonZ
        AntonZ
        4 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-23T11:07:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi Sudhakar,

Thank you for answering,

I'm using 5.1.1. Can you please say where those webservices are described?
        Anton Zorin
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          255 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-23T13:08:07Z  in response to AntonZ
          Hi,
          Here are some of the links
          http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v8r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.netcoolimpact.doc5.1.1%2Fdsa%2Fimdsa_web_web_services_dsa_overview_c.html

Please look in the section "Web services listener"

Thanks and regards
          Sudhakar
  • gulfsoft
    gulfsoft
    12 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-23T13:14:54Z  in response to AntonZ
    I'm still trying to find more info, but I have found two URLs for Impact 5.1.1 (I found them in some TBSM-supplied policies):

(in /opt/IBM/tivoli/tbsm/policy/TBSM_REST_GetByKey.ipl)
    http://guiserverhost:port/nci/data/cluster/datasource/datatype/key

and ( (in /opt/IBM/tivoli/tbsm/policy/TBSM_REST_GetByFilter.ipl)
    http://guiserverhost:port/nci/data/cluster/datasource/datatype?filter=filter

But those would only work for 5.1.1 - the /nci context root is no longer valid on version 6.1 (it appears to be /impactAdmin now, and /impactAdmin/data is handled by the RESTDataServlet class), but it can't figure out the cluster name, and so keeps throwing an error no matter what URI I try.

Frank

We can make Tivoli software work for you!
    www.gulfsoft.com
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      255 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-23T13:23:59Z  in response to gulfsoft
      Hi Frank,

Looks like there is a need to make changes to the Impact 5.1.1 REST API and to make it work for Impact 6.1 and future releases.

If you were using Impact 5.1.1, attached is the document that describes the uses and examples.

Thanks,

Oskar Zinger
      Product Architect - Netcool/Impact
      • AntonZ
        AntonZ
        4 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-23T13:53:28Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your answers! Your links and the attachement are very helpful.

Best regards,

Anton Zorin
      • gulfsoft
        gulfsoft
        12 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-23T18:45:54Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Thanks for the great info, Oskar. And it would be great to have it working in 6.1.

Frank

We can make Tivoli software work for you!
        www.gulfsoft.com
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          255 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-20T13:15:47Z  in response to gulfsoft
          Hallo,

i have been working with the REST API in Impact 5.1.1 with Operator Views.
          It seems that the REST API in Impact 6.1 does not work anymore. I didn´t find
          any documentation changes, but the access via the URL http://guiserverhost:port/nci/data/cluster/source/type?filter=filter does not work ?

Has anybody used the REST API in Version 6.1 ?

Thanks for any help

Heinz-Werner
          • gulfsoft
            gulfsoft
            12 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-20T13:53:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            No. Read the previous replies and you'll see that it no longer works in 6.1, and that Oskar at IBM is aware of this.

We can make Tivoli software work for you!www.gulfsoft.com