• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-06-25T12:10:01Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
847 Posts

Pinned topic ITCAM for Transactions which one to use

‏2012-05-17T08:29:16Z |
Hi,
I am planning to monitor the following Blue environment.
IBM IHS, WebSphere Portal, Process Server, ESB. These components are communicating with DB2, MQ and some mainframe back ends and in the future we might monitor TAM as well.

We have ITCAM for SOA and ITCAM for WebSphere fully deployed. We also have the AMC and TREP deployed.
Currently the customer has placed custom arm calls into their code but I am trying to move them to a more dynamic form of monitoring using the ITCAM agents.

The customer wants to be able to understand where transactions are going and to be able to understand roughly what’s happening in the server - e.g JDBC calls.

The question is do I use the integration with ITCAM for WebSphere or do I use ARM or TTAPI?
Thanks guys.
Jonny
Updated on 2012-06-25T12:10:01Z at 2012-06-25T12:10:01Z by SystemAdmin
  • gulfsoft
    gulfsoft
    20 Posts

Re: ITCAM for Transactions which one to use

‏2012-05-17T13:25:17Z  
    I'm assuming you're using the ITCAM for WebSphere ITM agent (product code YN)? Also, you say you have the AMC and TREP deployed. I'm assuming you're referring to the Application Management Console (part of ITCAM for Transactions) and TEP (the Tivoli Enterprise Portal).

So, with all of those assumptions, my suggestion would be to use the TTAPI integration that's built into the ITCAM for AD data collectors to give you a topology view of your WebSphere (AS, Process Server and ESB). With this configuration, you could also use the Web Response Time agent (product code T5) of ITCAMfT, which would also add to the topology (tho you do have to manually enable this integration when configuring the YN agent). And you can ARM-enable DB2 to connect to the ITCAMfT Transaction Collector, which will actually make TTAPI calls (tho the calls are simply ARM calls as far as DB2 is concerned). The calls made from WebSphere to MQ will normally be picked up by the YN agent also.

So those are the details. The straight answer to your question is "You'll use all of them".

Frank

We can make Tivoli software work for you!
    www.gulfsoft.com
  • LukeMcKenna
    LukeMcKenna
    16 Posts

‏2012-05-18T01:13:11Z  
    • gulfsoft
    • ‏2012-05-17T13:25:17Z
    I'm assuming you're using the ITCAM for WebSphere ITM agent (product code YN)? Also, you say you have the AMC and TREP deployed. I'm assuming you're referring to the Application Management Console (part of ITCAM for Transactions) and TEP (the Tivoli Enterprise Portal).

So, with all of those assumptions, my suggestion would be to use the TTAPI integration that's built into the ITCAM for AD data collectors to give you a topology view of your WebSphere (AS, Process Server and ESB). With this configuration, you could also use the Web Response Time agent (product code T5) of ITCAMfT, which would also add to the topology (tho you do have to manually enable this integration when configuring the YN agent). And you can ARM-enable DB2 to connect to the ITCAMfT Transaction Collector, which will actually make TTAPI calls (tho the calls are simply ARM calls as far as DB2 is concerned). The calls made from WebSphere to MQ will normally be picked up by the YN agent also.

So those are the details. The straight answer to your question is "You'll use all of them".

Frank

We can make Tivoli software work for you!
    www.gulfsoft.com
    Frank - great response.

Jonny - an alternative to using ARM in DB2 would be to turn on the JDBC reporting feature in ITCAM for AD - this will give you response time information for your database calls without having to add any overhead to your database server.

Details are here:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v24r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.itcamfad.doc_7101%2Fwas_agent_install_guide_dist%2Fwas_agent_shared%2Fchapter_adv_dc%2Fenabling_ttapi_on_the_dc.html

Regards
    Luke McKenna
    --
    Development Manager
    Tivoli Application Performance Management
    Australia Development Lab
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    847 Posts

‏2012-06-25T12:10:01Z  
    Thanks for all the posts. We are going to start testing shortly.

Thanks
    Jonny