6 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-05-18T17:25:33Z by jream
jream
jream
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Development tooling story

‏2012-05-16T15:20:02Z |
Hi,

I'm currently working on a WCG proof of concept. I have to say, I'm quite impressed with the "container" side of the product, but the "framework" side is another story. We've had good success proving out Java Batch as a viable go forward approach, but I'm having reservations about the development side of it.

Given that JSR-352 just went to draft (congrats!!), it's probably going to be a year or so before the framework is mature and integrated into the WebSphere and Rational products. I'm looking for recommendations on getting started "the right way" from a development perspective, using currently available tools.

I've built a few jobs using the Rational tooling, and it seems to be a step or two behind the WCG product. Plus I'm concerned about the portability of it, like being able to build/test the code during continuous integration builds.

The "POJO method" is quite appealing, and seems like a very natural development experience, but the batch jars seem to be distributed via forum posts and obscure links. This makes me concerned about version incompatibilities between dev and runtime.

Another question is how to build/test jobs using the PJM. Neither Rational nor the POJO framework jar include things like the "parameterizer".

So... what is the "right way" to start building batch jobs now, without shooting ourselves in the foot with a bunch of rework once JSR-352 matures?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Jon
Updated on 2012-05-18T17:25:33Z at 2012-05-18T17:25:33Z by jream
  • sspavan
    sspavan
    60 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Development tooling story

‏2012-05-16T17:04:13Z  in response to jream
    Hi,

If you are looking for some sample PJM jobs, I have attached them here. We can use BuiltInParameterizer or have a custom Parameterizer.

We are using WCG for few months and I see testing is a challenging task. Per IBM documentation they had something called BatchSimulator for previous WCG version-6 but not for current version and from forums I understand they are planning on it.

Thanks,
    Pavan

Attachments

• SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      783 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-16T17:26:36Z  in response to sspavan
      The new "batch simulator" is available in the WCG v8 Sample Workspace. It's actually a Java SE version of the batch container found in WCG v8. We have been having a problem getting the file uploaded to this site. It may be a size issue. I'm going to try attaching to this post; maybe I'll get lucky :)
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        783 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-16T17:27:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Upload complete; no link in post ... I will refrain from using expletives :)
  • sajan
    sajan
    42 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-16T22:45:58Z  in response to jream
    Jon,
    You are correct. RAD was a couple of steps behind the full WCG product and they are trying to catch up with the latest fix pack RAD 8.0.4.1. This fix pack should support the development of parallel (PJM) APIs and the xJCL (like the <run> element).

And regarding your concern about incompatibilities between the BDS framework jars in the forum and the product, I would recommend using the framework jar from the WCG v8 product and its service.

And finally, the RecordProcessor model in the BDS framework is very close to the reader-processor-writer pattern in the JSR-352. This would provide the best migration going forward.

Sajan.
  • jream
    jream
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-18T17:25:33Z  in response to jream
    Thanks for the followups. I'll check out the fixpack.