Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-05-16T07:54:19Z by MAC
MAC
MAC
4 Posts

Pinned topic Migrating from WAS 6.1 to WAS 7.0

‏2012-05-15T13:49:12Z |
I am migrating an applciation from WAS 6.1 to WAS 7.0 when running the Migration Tools the following report is flagged

Behavior changes
Only use JAX-WS annotations in Java EE 5 or later

This is going through a lot of places in the code.

I looked in the following URL:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.express.doc%2Finfo%2Fexp%2Fae%2Frwbs_jaxwsannotations.html

it does give two solutions one by META.inf change and the other is to define
a property on the JVM.

Can someone please clarify if any code changes is required here or is it just simply applying the
above?

I appreciate your support.

Kind Regards

MC
Updated on 2012-05-16T07:54:19Z at 2012-05-16T07:54:19Z by MAC
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

Re: Migrating from WAS 6.1 to WAS 7.0

‏2012-05-15T18:58:20Z  
    Hello, Simply applying one of the solutions in the 'For transitioning users:' link is sufficient.

If you migrated the node configurations using the WebSphere migration tools, and if you had web services feature pack installed, the JVM property for com.ibm.websphere.webservices.UseWSFEP61ScanPolicy will automatically be added to your configuration. We recommend you check that first.

If you have many web services applications consider adding the JVM property instead of changing the application. However, that comes at a cost for the time needed to scan all the applications for annotations.

If only a small proportion of your applications have annotations, it might be worthwhile to set the scan policy in the MANIFEST.MF so that only those applications are scanned.

Your choice comes down to the trade off between simplicity and performance.
  • MAC
    MAC
    4 Posts

‏2012-05-15T20:07:09Z  
    Thank you for the reply, I appreciate the feedback.

We do not use the migration assistant as we do prefer to build all our WAS 7.0 from scratch, We have the strategy of side-by-side parallel migration and retaining the current WAS 6.1 intact.

The annotation is used all over the place in our application so putting it in the Manifest or the property would not make any difference.

I need to understand why in WAS 7.0 introduced this behavior change, I am really after the reason?

Also I need know confirmation if the code will still function in the same way after applying the tweak.

Do you have experience with this kind in production environment.

Kind Regards

MC
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

‏2012-05-15T20:42:06Z  
    • MAC
    • ‏2012-05-15T20:07:09Z
    Thank you for the reply, I appreciate the feedback.

We do not use the migration assistant as we do prefer to build all our WAS 7.0 from scratch, We have the strategy of side-by-side parallel migration and retaining the current WAS 6.1 intact.

The annotation is used all over the place in our application so putting it in the Manifest or the property would not make any difference.

I need to understand why in WAS 7.0 introduced this behavior change, I am really after the reason?

Also I need know confirmation if the code will still function in the same way after applying the tweak.

Do you have experience with this kind in production environment.

Kind Regards

MC
    Hi MC,
    Here is a bit of the history. WebSphere 6.1 supports J2EE 1.4 modules. J2EE 1.4 did not include annotations in its specification definition. They were introduced in Java EE 5. However, the web services feature pack did support web services annotations and that feature pack would scan applications for annotations in J2EE 1.4 modules.

When you move a J2EE 1.4 (or lower) module to WebSphere v7, it will not automatically be scanned for annotations without the UseWSFEP61ScanPolicy JVM property or MANIFEST property as described in the information center. This is done for performance reasons since scanning for annotations is expensive. The migration toolkit flagged those annotations because it also looked to see the version of the web modules containing the annotations and recognized they were at a lower level than WebSphere version 7 will scan by default.

Since you say that the annotations are all over the place, I would suggest that you set the JVM property in the servers (and deployment manager, if ND) so that these applications will be scanned and your web services will continue to work in V7.
  • MAC
    MAC
    4 Posts

‏2012-05-15T20:55:26Z  
    Thanks the answer is very informative.

One final answer, Do I need still to install the WEB SERVICES FEATURE PACK in my new WAS 7.0 installation.

Thanks again for your kind support.

Kind Regards

MC
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts

‏2012-05-16T04:41:32Z  
    • MAC
    • ‏2012-05-15T20:55:26Z
    Thanks the answer is very informative.

One final answer, Do I need still to install the WEB SERVICES FEATURE PACK in my new WAS 7.0 installation.

Thanks again for your kind support.

Kind Regards

MC
    Hi MC,
    Web services support is built into WebSphere Application Server Version 7. There is no feature pack to install.

Cindy
  • MAC
    MAC
    4 Posts

‏2012-05-16T07:54:19Z  
    Thanks all for your contribution.

I will now start the migration and share my experience once I have some results

Regards

Mc