Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-05-15T13:35:48Z by whaselton
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1382 Posts

Pinned topic Oddities in Tivoli CDP for Files?

‏2012-05-15T05:46:00Z |
I'm interested in using the "light" version of this tool, entirely locally, to back up to a second hard drive. There are two points which I'm finding confusing.

1) I want to back up more than one working-space drive. This doesn't seem to be possible; it seems to be hardcoded to access only the C: partition. Am I missing something?

2) The scheduled/e-mail backup runs only to the "remote" location. Admittedly I can set the "remote" to be "external drive" and map it to the same drive I'm using for local backup, but...

3) I've never seen the status at the bottom of the UI's entry screen say anything but "idle", even when backup is running. Bug?

4) CDP keeps complaining that it can't reach the network target, even when both local and remote are set to the external drive letter (G:). I'm not sure what it's trying to tell me.

5) I think I actually want to record changes to almost all files, not just a selected subset. But this tool apparently assumes it's protecting only a relatively small set of business-critical files. That makes sense for backing up remotely, but given a local 1.5TB drive I'm not convinced I want to restrict things that much. (Yes, the ability to "vault" some files may address this, but I'm not convinced -- eg, I could "vault" the operating system, but then patches couldn't be applied, right?)

I love the idea of CDP. But I'm not sure this implementation will do what I need for this application. Can someone help me understand how much of this is limitations in the tool, and how much is limitations in the user?

Thanks in advance!
Updated on 2012-05-15T13:35:48Z at 2012-05-15T13:35:48Z by whaselton
  • whaselton
    whaselton
    126 Posts

Re: Oddities in Tivoli CDP for Files?

‏2012-05-15T10:51:36Z  
    1) CDP will back up any local fixed drive that you add to the include list.

2) Correct. The theory in the initial design was that critical files get backed up immediately to local storage and remote storage and less critical files get backed up more leisurely on a schedule to the remote storage.

3) Could be a bug but it seems to work for most people. It's possible that the backups happen so quickly the status, which is only updated every few seconds, does not get a chance to change.

4) When that happens, try accessing the remote backup directory using explorer. If explorer can access the directory, CDP should be able to as well.

5) You can add items to the include list for any local fixed drive. For example you could include D:\*.

Regards,

Bill
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1382 Posts

‏2012-05-15T12:57:41Z  
    • whaselton
    • ‏2012-05-15T10:51:36Z
    1) CDP will back up any local fixed drive that you add to the include list.

2) Correct. The theory in the initial design was that critical files get backed up immediately to local storage and remote storage and less critical files get backed up more leisurely on a schedule to the remote storage.

3) Could be a bug but it seems to work for most people. It's possible that the backups happen so quickly the status, which is only updated every few seconds, does not get a chance to change.

4) When that happens, try accessing the remote backup directory using explorer. If explorer can access the directory, CDP should be able to as well.

5) You can add items to the include list for any local fixed drive. For example you could include D:\*.

Regards,

Bill
    1) Hm. I added D:\, but I have yet to see any evidence that changes on D: are being backed up; there is no D directory in the backups. Possible that I just haven't changed anything there yet. On the other hand, I did request the initial snapshot, and I know there are files on D: that should have been captured...

2) OK; I understand the model. It would be nice if the tool made this more explicit and engaged in a dialog with us about whether that's really what we want.

4) "Remote" drive in this case is G:, the same USB-attached drive used for local. There shouldn't be a network issue...

5) Hm. As I said in (1), that isn't what I seem to be seeing. Maybe I need to explicitly add D:\* rather than just having clicked on, and gotten, D:\?

Could indeed be user error. Could be that the UI and/or online docs need to be a bit more descriptive. Could just be that my machine is somehow being perverse...
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1382 Posts

‏2012-05-15T13:04:10Z  
    1) Hm. I added D:\, but I have yet to see any evidence that changes on D: are being backed up; there is no D directory in the backups. Possible that I just haven't changed anything there yet. On the other hand, I did request the initial snapshot, and I know there are files on D: that should have been captured...

2) OK; I understand the model. It would be nice if the tool made this more explicit and engaged in a dialog with us about whether that's really what we want.

4) "Remote" drive in this case is G:, the same USB-attached drive used for local. There shouldn't be a network issue...

5) Hm. As I said in (1), that isn't what I seem to be seeing. Maybe I need to explicitly add D:\* rather than just having clicked on, and gotten, D:\?

Could indeed be user error. Could be that the UI and/or online docs need to be a bit more descriptive. Could just be that my machine is somehow being perverse...
    Aaah. Looks like some of this may have been the distinction between realtime and scheduled. Overnight, the D directory has appeared. Maybe it was just waiting to do the continuous until the initial full backup had run, and was delaying that until a scheduled cycle. If so, reasonable but not at all obvious from the UI or (what I read of) the help files; a bit more descriptive text might be a Good Thing to set expectations.

Interesting: Another directory also appeared, with my machine name. It seems to be completely empty. Not a problem, just not expected and I'm not sure what the intent was.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1382 Posts

‏2012-05-15T13:08:44Z  
    Aaah. Looks like some of this may have been the distinction between realtime and scheduled. Overnight, the D directory has appeared. Maybe it was just waiting to do the continuous until the initial full backup had run, and was delaying that until a scheduled cycle. If so, reasonable but not at all obvious from the UI or (what I read of) the help files; a bit more descriptive text might be a Good Thing to set expectations.

Interesting: Another directory also appeared, with my machine name. It seems to be completely empty. Not a problem, just not expected and I'm not sure what the intent was.
    BTW, one suggestion: It seems we can select either compressed or encrypted but not both. If the latter implies the former, this could be made more clear. If it doesn't... why the restriction? Or is that one of the things the full version of the tool supports but the light version doesn't?

(My company wants us to use encrypted backup tools, so I'm very glad that feature is offered -- though right now I'm running it on a nonsecure machine to try it out.)

Also, wishlist item: If there isn't a Linux version yet (and I couldn't find one in the catalog), it would be nice to have. I'm sure there are open-source CDP implementations for Linux, but it's easier to convince Manglement to consider a product from IBM.
  • whaselton
    whaselton
    126 Posts

‏2012-05-15T13:32:23Z  

Is your D: drive a fixed disk or a removable disk? Only fixed disks are protected, but an initial backup will back up a removable disk as well.

Regards,

Bill
  • whaselton
    whaselton
    126 Posts

‏2012-05-15T13:35:48Z  
    BTW, one suggestion: It seems we can select either compressed or encrypted but not both. If the latter implies the former, this could be made more clear. If it doesn't... why the restriction? Or is that one of the things the full version of the tool supports but the light version doesn't?

(My company wants us to use encrypted backup tools, so I'm very glad that feature is offered -- though right now I'm running it on a nonsecure machine to try it out.)

Also, wishlist item: If there isn't a Linux version yet (and I couldn't find one in the catalog), it would be nice to have. I'm sure there are open-source CDP implementations for Linux, but it's easier to convince Manglement to consider a product from IBM.
    Yes, encryption and compression are mutually exclusive in CDP.

Regards,

Bill