Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-06-18T16:55:16Z by kalyankanu
toneman
toneman
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Cognos BI Scheduled Reports run, email successfully, Execute for about 15 m

‏2012-05-11T20:39:11Z |
In our 10.1 environment, my scheduled reports will run fine and email the recipients. But the job waits 15 minutes while "Executing" and then status turns to "Failed." The 15 minutes is standard on all the failures.

We're running in a distributed environment, using Jboss.

Ensuing message is:
java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

Does anybody have any ideas on how to resolve this? The error is pretty vague and haven't been able to produce any worthwhile search results on the inter-tubes. Thanks!
Updated on 2012-05-15T21:09:14Z at 2012-05-15T21:09:14Z by toneman
  • RobHatfield
    RobHatfield
    27 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Cognos BI Scheduled Reports run, email successfully, Execute for about 15 m

‏2012-05-14T11:01:54Z  in response to toneman
    Is there a stack trace attached to the socket exception? Does the report run fine interactively? Is there a more detailed log message in cogserver.log? What data source are you reporting against? Are you using compatible or dynamic query mode for your package? Also check for crash dump files in the bin and bin64 directories.

Sorry to answer your question with more questions, but it is hard to tell what the problem is from the error message.
    • toneman
      toneman
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-15T14:50:15Z  in response to RobHatfield
      "Sorry to answer your question with more questions, but it is hard to tell what the problem is from the error message."

Exactly! :/

Is there a stack trace attached to the socket exception?
      No, there is no stack trace with the exception.

Does the report run fine interactively?
      The report runs, but it will send the email confirmation and continue to try to execute for 15 minutes, and then you get the socket exception. Same as when scheduled.

Is there a more detailed log message in cogserver.log?
      This is the only warning/error I could find at the time of initial execution to when it fails.
      Warning RSV-RND-0004 Invalid CSS Declaration found '

What data source are you reporting against?
      OS400 data source

Are you using compatible or dynamic query mode for your package?
      I don't actually build the packages, so I can't confirm this.

Also check for crash dump files in the bin and bin64 directories.
      No dump files found.
      • RobHatfield
        RobHatfield
        27 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-15T16:29:40Z  in response to toneman
        Does JBoss log the console to a file? If so, can you search your JBoss console logs for the exception to get the rest of the stack? Is the exception in the pogo_<date>.log file?

I doubt the CSS issue is causing this problem. This technote describes it: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21343153

You may need to log a support ticket for this one. I wish I could be more helpful.
        • toneman
          toneman
          3 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-15T21:09:14Z  in response to RobHatfield
          Unfortunately, the Jboss server.log and the Cognos cogserver.log don't provide anything more than that vague exception.

I was doubting the CSS issue as well, but that was the only thing in the logs around the time of execution and failure.

I'll see about opening a ticket with IBM and see what they have to say.

Thanks anyways for help!

Cheers, toneman
          • kalyankanu
            kalyankanu
            1 Post
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-06-18T16:55:16Z  in response to toneman

Hi Toneman, did you receive any response from IBM. Right now we are facing the same issue with IBM Cognos 10.2.