Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-05-16T11:13:25Z by vkalangu
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
8 Posts

Pinned topic How to process after registration in IOSDP

‏2012-05-11T13:14:32Z |
Hi ,I am new to the concepts of integration of products using IOSDP.I have seen the videos relating the provider registry and resource registry and understood the registration process into the registry. What is the process to be followed after product registration?
Updated on 2012-05-16T11:13:25Z at 2012-05-16T11:13:25Z by vkalangu
  • joe_ross
    joe_ross
    2 Posts

Re: How to process after registration in IOSDP

‏2012-05-11T21:53:52Z  
    A product should register its OSLC provider in the provider registry, and it should register the common resources managed by that product to the resource registry. These registrations contain a URL referring to a detail record about the resource in the product's provider. The registration records created in the resource registry contain identifying properties like "manufacture", "model", "serialNumber", which can be used to link the registration record of one product with registration records about the same resource from other products.

A product can then use the reconciled resource record in the resource registry to find which products have information about a managed resource, and the URLs to get detailed information about the resource from the product providers. For example, this can be useful when trouble-shooting a problem about a resource, since it allows to quickly get to monitoring records, change management records, problem tickets associated with the resource etc. The linkage information in the resource registry can be used to access all of this information quickly, without copying all of the information in one location.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    8 Posts

‏2012-05-14T14:14:43Z  
    • joe_ross
    • ‏2012-05-11T21:53:52Z
    A product should register its OSLC provider in the provider registry, and it should register the common resources managed by that product to the resource registry. These registrations contain a URL referring to a detail record about the resource in the product's provider. The registration records created in the resource registry contain identifying properties like "manufacture", "model", "serialNumber", which can be used to link the registration record of one product with registration records about the same resource from other products.

A product can then use the reconciled resource record in the resource registry to find which products have information about a managed resource, and the URLs to get detailed information about the resource from the product providers. For example, this can be useful when trouble-shooting a problem about a resource, since it allows to quickly get to monitoring records, change management records, problem tickets associated with the resource etc. The linkage information in the resource registry can be used to access all of this information quickly, without copying all of the information in one location.
    Thanks Joe.I have a query that after being registered in the registry services how the product will get integrated in UI providing services of IOSDP like Tivoli Integrated Portal.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    8 Posts

‏2012-05-14T19:14:46Z  
    Can you give more detail about the scenario for integration? What type of data do you have, and how would you like it to appear in the UI? Is this similar to the videos that show a rich hover preview from multiple providers for a given resource? Or, is it a more generic question for building a new TIP UI?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    8 Posts

‏2012-05-15T08:14:43Z  
    Can you give more detail about the scenario for integration? What type of data do you have, and how would you like it to appear in the UI? Is this similar to the videos that show a rich hover preview from multiple providers for a given resource? Or, is it a more generic question for building a new TIP UI?
    Actually i am only exploring through the iosdp currently. I have created a dummy service provider rdf/xml and registered it in the provider registry and now i want to know how can i proceed further in the integration process so that i can access it in the TIP . Or do i need to have a real scenario of a product integration otherwise it is not possible.
  • JohnArwe
    JohnArwe
    5 Posts

‏2012-05-15T12:42:36Z  
    • joe_ross
    • ‏2012-05-11T21:53:52Z

To refine what Joe said:

it should register the common resources managed by that product to the resource registry

That part of the statement was overly broad as written. The resources that you should register in the Resource Registry are ones like computer system, software modules, etc. that are NOT electronic documents. Those are objects that multiple tools can observe but none of those tools truly "owns" the object's full lifecycle; contrast that with resources that are electronic documents (defects, work orders) - for those kinds of objects, there is a single tool that owns the full lifecycle, so they get no value from being added in the Resource Registry.
    John Arwe
    Tivoli OSLC Technical Lead
  • JohnArwe
    JohnArwe
    5 Posts

‏2012-05-15T12:55:51Z  
    Actually i am only exploring through the iosdp currently. I have created a dummy service provider rdf/xml and registered it in the provider registry and now i want to know how can i proceed further in the integration process so that i can access it in the TIP . Or do i need to have a real scenario of a product integration otherwise it is not possible.
    Think of the scenario in terms of what do you want the user to see; that's what Chris is asking about. Regardless of the service provider's implementation (product x, product y, component z, dummy for testing), in order to guide you effectively we need to know what you're trying to accomplish.

E.g.
    1. Display Foo in TIP.
    2. User clicks on Y to populate a link, to display a list of resources in the dummy SP, to select one.
    3. Foo now shows the link to the dummy SP's resource.
    4. User verb on Z to display the UI preview for the dummy SP's resource.

The registries provide ways to find tools (provider registry) and find resources that the tools manage (reconciled resources: resource registry; electronic documents: search provider registry for OSLC domain of interest, iterate over results, query each service provider for the domain(s) of interest).

An individual service provider may support OSLC UI primitives (creation and selection dialogs); an individual resource may support another OSLC UI primitive (UI preview).

John Arwe
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    8 Posts

‏2012-05-15T14:24:08Z  
    • JohnArwe
    • ‏2012-05-15T12:55:51Z
    Think of the scenario in terms of what do you want the user to see; that's what Chris is asking about. Regardless of the service provider's implementation (product x, product y, component z, dummy for testing), in order to guide you effectively we need to know what you're trying to accomplish.

E.g.
    1. Display Foo in TIP.
    2. User clicks on Y to populate a link, to display a list of resources in the dummy SP, to select one.
    3. Foo now shows the link to the dummy SP's resource.
    4. User verb on Z to display the UI preview for the dummy SP's resource.

The registries provide ways to find tools (provider registry) and find resources that the tools manage (reconciled resources: resource registry; electronic documents: search provider registry for OSLC domain of interest, iterate over results, query each service provider for the domain(s) of interest).

An individual service provider may support OSLC UI primitives (creation and selection dialogs); an individual resource may support another OSLC UI primitive (UI preview).

John Arwe
    Thanks John for giving a dummy example.
    I just want to ask that how can product Y( as in your example) been displayed on UI?
    I have registered it in both registries all the registration part is over and now i just want my SP to be displayed on UI of TIP. How can i do that? Is something else is required (like other software) or just after putting all the details in the registries SP's link is automatically displayed in TIP.
  • JohnArwe
    JohnArwe
    5 Posts

‏2012-05-15T15:44:14Z  
    I just want to ask that how can product Y( as in your example) been displayed on UI?
    I have registered it in both registries all the registration part is over and now i just want my SP to be displayed on UI of TIP. How can i do that? Is something else is required (like other software) or just after putting all the details in the registries SP's link is automatically displayed in TIP.
    TIP is a component that lets you build/run a UI. It needs an exploiting product to use its functions at run time in order to "have" a functional operating UI. Hence terms like "TIP-based UI" being used to describe products like TBSM dashboards.

So if you want your data to be displayed on a TIP-based UI, which product's TIP-based UI are we talking about? There's just no such thing as fully-automatic right now.
    John Arwe
  • vkalangu
    vkalangu
    3 Posts

‏2012-05-16T11:13:25Z  
    I would suggest you navigate to Registry Services->Getting started with Registry Services and just play around with the sample python scripts provided. That will help you to get a feel on how UI preview works.

regards,
    Vijay