• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-11-04T15:17:08Z by llandale
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3180 Posts

Pinned topic load() vs. read()

‏2012-05-11T10:51:09Z |
Hello,

I was wondering what the difference is when you use the below functions to open the current version of a Module and having it displayed on the screen? I understand the load() is used for baselines but what is the difference if any(performance) between the two functions when opening the current version of a Module? Thank you.

Module load(ModuleVersion modver, bool display)
Module read(string name[,bool disp, bool loadStandardView])

-Jim
  • grasswistle
    grasswistle
    13 Posts

Re: load() vs. read()

‏2013-11-01T17:51:18Z  

This is my exact question!  I need an answer to this!  

Thanks in advance,

Grasswistle

• llandale
    llandale
    3035 Posts

‏2013-11-01T18:30:55Z  

This is my exact question!  I need an answer to this!  

Thanks in advance,

Grasswistle

• "read" (string Name) only gets the current version of the module.
    • "load" (ModuleVersion) lets you open the baseline version of the module associated with some versioned link.
    • "load" (Baseline, Module) which lets you open a baseline of a module directly.

So "load" when following links or browsing Baselines; "read" when dealing with current version of a module.

-Louie

• grasswistle
    grasswistle
    13 Posts

‏2013-11-01T19:49:41Z  
    • llandale
    • ‏2013-11-01T18:30:55Z
    • "read" (string Name) only gets the current version of the module.
    • "load" (ModuleVersion) lets you open the baseline version of the module associated with some versioned link.
    • "load" (Baseline, Module) which lets you open a baseline of a module directly.

So "load" when following links or browsing Baselines; "read" when dealing with current version of a module.

-Louie

So, just to be clear, it is not possible to follow links and get the current version of a module with load?

Thanks,

Grasswistle

P.S.  By the way Louie, I've been lurking this forum for a while and I must say that the code fragments you have posted have made a world of difference in my work.  I have links to your profile (as credits) all over the place and people keep asking who this God, Louie, is.  Keep up the good work!

• llandale
    llandale
    3035 Posts

‏2013-11-04T15:17:08Z  

So, just to be clear, it is not possible to follow links and get the current version of a module with load?

Thanks,

Grasswistle

P.S.  By the way Louie, I've been lurking this forum for a while and I must say that the code fragments you have posted have made a world of difference in my work.  I have links to your profile (as credits) all over the place and people keep asking who this God, Louie, is.  Keep up the good work!

No, you can get to the current version following links using "load"; but only if the versioned link (and therefore the "ModuleVersion") is actually to the current version of the module.  If you know you want the current version, use "read".