Topic
11 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-05-11T22:13:37Z by SystemAdmin
jschertz
jschertz
15 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Baseline Modification Possible?

‏2012-05-10T15:17:48Z |
Hi,

OK - I have another weird question: Is it possible to modify a previously created baseline?

(I'm not asking if it's advisable - I know it isn't. I'm asking on behalf of a colleague.)

Thanks!
Jackie
Updated on 2012-05-11T22:13:37Z at 2012-05-11T22:13:37Z by SystemAdmin
  • jschertz
    jschertz
    15 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Baseline Modification Possible?

‏2012-05-10T15:50:27Z  in response to jschertz
    Allow me to clarify: I believe that it isn't possible... however, I would like to go back to this person with a definitively unarguable answer from a more technically apt person. Thanks!
    • kbmurphy
      kbmurphy
      165 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

kevin.murphy@baselinesinc.com

‏2012-05-10T16:13:33Z  in response to jschertz
      No.
    • llandale
      llandale
      595 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-10T16:44:13Z  in response to jschertz
      Not with the GUI.

Some folks have had some luck throwing unloaded hand-grenades into the DB file structure; most others have had terrible luck doing the same thing.

-Louie
  • jschertz
    jschertz
    15 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-10T16:15:59Z  in response to jschertz
    Thanks!
    • kbmurphy
      kbmurphy
      165 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-10T17:16:23Z  in response to jschertz
      Louie, it's better to just say no.

Anything is possible, theoretically. But this task isn't straightforward and can have lots of dire consequences. It also goes against the entire purpose of baselining. I'd go so far to say that if this were easy to do, then one of the best reasons to use DOORS goes away. Integrity of a baseline must never be questioned.
      • llandale
        llandale
        595 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-10T19:01:43Z  in response to kbmurphy
        I'm figured that most folks know not to "throw unloaded hand-grenades" and so thought it obvious I was being facetious and dodn't embrace that as a real option.

But it indeed would be nice if "Baseline" had an interum stage perhaps "Proposed", that could be edited after it was reviewed, prior to it becoming either "Committed" or "Deleted".

-Louie
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1084 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-11T01:45:33Z  in response to llandale
          Would be nice if DOORS supported more Administrator (super user) only type functions to do things like "Repairing" Baselines - e.g. redo the last baseline.

Many Configuration Management tools support the ability to deal with inadvertent exceptions (which some may say is a euphemism for when users screw up) and support repairing versions\baselines. But only under a Super User login - the assumption being that the Super User understands governance responsibilities and has authority to carry out such repairs....oh, and doesn't suffer a scorching case of introducing inadvertent exceptions as well!

Paul Miller
          Melbourne, Australia
          • llandale
            llandale
            595 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-11T16:47:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            One big problem with the notion that only the current version can be baselined causes some problem; development must stop on that module during the baseline review-and-tweak cycle. If there was an interim stage, both efforts can go forward.

It would also be better that "deleting a baseline" meant "merging that History into the next baseline". So if you Baseline 3.0a, 3.0b, and finally 3.0c is approved, it would be nice to remove 3.0a and 3.0b and merge their history into 3.0c.

-Louie
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              1084 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-11T22:13:37Z  in response to llandale
              Agree Louie - this is where the configuration management concepts of Main Line, Branching, Merging and Re-basing would become highly useful in DOORS. Anyone who has used CM tools like ClearCase, Subversion, CVS and many others would appreciate the value of these concepts.
              Paul Miller
              Melbourne, Australia
  • lahines
    lahines
    40 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-10T17:37:23Z  in response to jschertz
    You are better of copying the baseline to create a new module, then modify that.
    • jschertz
      jschertz
      15 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-10T18:08:15Z  in response to lahines
      Lahines - Yes, I think that's what he's going to end up doing.

Kevin - I completely agree with you about the integrity of baselines. It is one of those situations where I'm fairly new at the company and wanted back-up on my original answer.

Louie - Yeah, I know the DOORS GUI really well. And I know a lot of tips and tricks to get around a lot of its more unintuitive behaviors... but I'm not knowledgeable enough to go into the DB file structure. And I know enough about DOORS to not trust anyone at my company to do that either. :) Especially since I'm considered one of the "experts" here. (I'm not a coder/programmer; I fell into DOORS via Technical Documentation :) )