Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
11 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-05-17T08:24:09Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1143 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Connecting informix from windows

‏2012-05-10T13:21:57Z |
Hi All,

I want to connect my informix database from windows;
In fact i'm using old Informix version 5.0 which is not supporting the ODBC
Do you have some soluation that enables me to connect the old informix from windows??

Thanks for the support,
Ahmed
Updated on 2012-05-17T08:24:09Z at 2012-05-17T08:24:09Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Connecting informix from windows

‏2012-05-10T14:29:08Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Ahmed,

Have you got I-Net installed as suggested by Andrea? If so, you should be able to connect to your online 5 from your ODBC application.

By the way, I would recommend that you consider upgrading your online 5 to Informix 11.50 or 11.70 if possible.

Regards, Yunming
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1143 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-10T15:24:58Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Yunming,

I did not get the informix net, can you provide it?
      currently i cannot upgrade the informix

Please let me know if you can provide me the informix net or if you have some other alternative

WBR
      Ahmed
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1143 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-11T13:40:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Yunming,
      I have just installed Informix 11.50 on windows 7 and i want to connect it through ODBC
      Could you please explain me how to start with the new database and how can i setup the sqlhosts file in order to access it from odbc and how can i connect from telnet?

Regards,
      Ahmed
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1143 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-11T14:48:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi Ahmed,

When installing Informix 11.50 on your Windows 7 machine, have you selected the option to create the demo instance? Assuming you have, you can create a new database from DBACCESS utility as user infomix:

1) go to All Programs > IBM Informix 11.50 and select the command named as your Informix server name. This will start a Windows 7 command prompt with Informix environment set.

2) from the command window, run "dbaccess" and you can create a database there

3) once you get the database created, run setnet32.exe to configure a connection ((you need to have Informx CSDK installed)

4) go to Windows control panel and create a ODBC data source name that uses Informix ODBC driver from CSDK. Once the DSN is created you can connect to the server using your ODBC DSN.

please see more detailed information about Informix 11.50 and CSDK at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v115/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.common.doc/ids_cm_not.htm

HTH,
        Yunming
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1143 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-11T17:06:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi Yunming,
          In setnet32 i have to enter the hostname, protocolname, service name ..etc, from where can i get this information?
          As you told before this located in the sqlhosts file, so how can i access the sqlhosts file? as i know it should be under $INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts But from comand line i cannot get to this directory!!

moreover the step 4 is not clear to me, how can i create a ODBO source name in control panel?

it is the first time for me to use ODBC so i need your valuable support

WBR
          Ahmed
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            1143 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-11T17:42:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hi Ahmed,

Do you have registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Informix\SQLHOSTS on your Windows 7 machine? You can find the SQLHOSTS entry there.

Regarding creating ODBC DSN, you can go to Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools\Data Sources (ODBC) to create it. Make sure you select IBM Informix ODBC.

Regards, Yunming
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              1143 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-11T19:11:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Hi Yunming,

It is done, I can access the new database now through ODBC, thanks a lot for your kind support!
              Still i need your support dear: in fact i have installed informix 11.50 because i could not connect to informix 5.0 from ODBC
              Now i want to create some tables in informix 11.50 exactly as the one in informix 5.0 then i will upload the data to informix 11.50
              I know how to create the tables and how to upload the data but i want to schedule a time for uploading the data from informix 5.0 to informix 11.50 and i need this to happen automaticly!
              I don't want to upload the data manually, i want to schedule this and i need your help on that (please note that informix 5.0 is installed on Unix)

Thanks again for your support Yunming

WBR
              Ahmed
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                1143 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-11T21:46:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                Hi Ahmed,

That is good news.

Regarding your data migration, I would suggest you to check out the following link:
                http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v115/topic/com.ibm.mig.doc/ids_mig_031.htm?resultof=%22%6d%69%67%72%61%74%65%22%20%22%6d%69%67%72%61%74%22%20%22%64%61%74%61%22%20%22%66%72%6f%6d%22%20%22%6f%6e%6c%69%6e%65%22%20%22%6f%6e%6c%69%6e%22%20%22%35%22%20%22%31%31%2e%35%30%22%20

HTH,
                Yunming
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  1143 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-12T05:32:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  Hi Yunming,

Thank you i will go through it!
                  In order to access the database from other computer through telnet or through ODBC what should i do?
                  The current host now is 127.0.0.1
                  Do i need to create a host file? if so where it should be created

WBR
                  Ahmed
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  1143 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-12T14:11:12Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  Hi Yunming,

I could now connect to the new informix database from ODBC please ignore my last message

WBR,
                  Ahmed
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-17T08:24:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    still i cannot connect to informix 5.0.5 from odbc