Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-06-07T09:05:06Z by phil.v
phil.v
phil.v
8 Posts

Pinned topic Does IBM Support Assistant allow gc and heap analyse off line ?

‏2012-05-09T17:17:07Z |
Hi,

I have to do a garbage collector and heapdump analysis on a 64 bits JVM. The server is a JBoss server. Can I do with this tool an offline analysis on the GC file and heapdumps taken from JBoss ? By the past I was using 2 IBM tools GCanalyse and Heap analyser.

Thanks for your help
Updated on 2012-06-07T09:05:06Z at 2012-06-07T09:05:06Z by phil.v
  • RickyHolcomb
    RickyHolcomb
    417 Posts

Re: Does IBM Support Assistant allow gc and heap analyse off line ?

‏2012-05-11T18:57:46Z  
    Hello Phil,
    I don't understand what you mean by "offline analysis". However everything with the exception of Health Center, is performed offline against diagnostics that have been collected. Regarding the question about analyzing diagnostics from a 64-bit JVM. There are a few options, but some may support only IBM JVM's.

Here are some different option for you:
    You could use Garbage Collection and Memory Visualizer (supported tool) or PMAT (unsupported tool) for the GC logs. Both are available on V4 and V5 Beta. With V5 Beta you have the advantage of 64-bit support for GCMV. For the heap dump analysis you can use Memory Analyzer (supported) or HeapAnalyzer (unsupported.

• HeapAnalyzer is available only on V4
    • Memory Analyzer is available on V4 and V5 Beta in various flavors.
    • 32-bit and 64-bit desktop app with ISA V4
    • 64-bit desktop, 64-bit report generator and web app with ISA V5 Beta
    Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
    Ricky Holcomb
  • phil.v
    phil.v
    8 Posts

Re: Does IBM Support Assistant allow gc and heap analyse off line ?

‏2012-06-07T09:05:06Z  
    Hello Phil,
    I don't understand what you mean by "offline analysis". However everything with the exception of Health Center, is performed offline against diagnostics that have been collected. Regarding the question about analyzing diagnostics from a 64-bit JVM. There are a few options, but some may support only IBM JVM's.

Here are some different option for you:
    You could use Garbage Collection and Memory Visualizer (supported tool) or PMAT (unsupported tool) for the GC logs. Both are available on V4 and V5 Beta. With V5 Beta you have the advantage of 64-bit support for GCMV. For the heap dump analysis you can use Memory Analyzer (supported) or HeapAnalyzer (unsupported.

• HeapAnalyzer is available only on V4
    • Memory Analyzer is available on V4 and V5 Beta in various flavors.
    • 32-bit and 64-bit desktop app with ISA V4
    • 64-bit desktop, 64-bit report generator and web app with ISA V5 Beta
    Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
    Ricky Holcomb
    Hi,

thanks for you reply, I succeed in finding how to load the GC logfile from ISA.