Topic
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-04-02T14:36:01Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
139 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Questions regarding Installing the IBM Virtual Pattern Kit for Developers?

‏2012-05-09T04:06:00Z |
Please post your questions pertaining to installation or configuration for "IBM Virtual Pattern Kit for Developers"
Updated on 2013-04-02T14:36:01Z at 2013-04-02T14:36:01Z by SystemAdmin
  • Michael@MQSystems
    Michael@MQSystems
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Questions regarding Installing the IBM Virtual Pattern Kit for Developers?

‏2012-05-10T12:37:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Can I ask questions here?

Downloaded it, and got it started on VMWare Workstation (don't have ESX...)
    How can I see if the second disk (content.vmdk) is properly accesible?

What commands can be used from Console> ?

If i type show commandref I think the screen scrolls to fast and I can see all commands... (first command shown is "net-test" and then upto "xml")

When accessing the Kit through the Web Interface I see lots of stuff so it is working, but when I try to: Download IBM Image Construction and Composition Tool
    I get: Download IBM Image Construction and Composition Tool License Agreement
    No ICON is available to download. please enable the latest foundation pattern type.
    • morganri
      morganri
      109 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-10T12:41:01Z  in response to Michael@MQSystems
      Hello,

Your question is being reviewed. Thank you.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        139 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-11T01:24:48Z  in response to morganri
        Hi,

The content.vmdk is correctly loaded if you can see the patterns on the console. Once you have the kit up and running, go to the url http://<ip>. Post login, click on "Cloud" -> "Pattern Types". You should see "Web Application Pattern Type 2.0", "IBM Database Patterns 1.1", "IBM Data Mart Pattern 1.1", "IBM Transactional Database Pattern 1.1". This will confirm that content.vmdk is correctly loaded.

Regarding "When accessing the Kit through the Web Interface I see lots of stuff so it is working, but when I try to: Download IBM Image Construction and Composition Tool
        I get: Download IBM Image Construction and Composition Tool License Agreement
        No ICON is available to download. please enable the latest foundation pattern type."

You will have to enable the foundation pattern type to download IBM Image Construction and Composition Tool. To enable Foundation pattern type, click on "Cloud" -> "Pattern Types" -> Select "Foundation Pattern Type 2.0" on the left panel. On the right panel, you will see an enable switch. Click to enable the pattern.

Regarding "What commands can be used from Console> ? If i type show commandref I think the screen scrolls to fast and I can see all commands... (first command shown is "net-test" and then upto "xml". I will respond to this query as it is under review.

I hope this is helpful. Let us know if you have other questions. Thank you.
        • Michael@MQSystems
          Michael@MQSystems
          2 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-11T17:09:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Thanks for the replies sofar, I will try the suggestions and see how it works!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    139 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-19T15:25:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello,

I've been trying to configure the VPDK for some time now.

The VPDK has been setup following the instructions and I also followed the very useful video by an IBMer, Joe Bohn - Link here.
    The problem is, once this has been setup there is only a vanilla Red Hat OS image on there... I can successfully deploy blank virtual machines but we need to do more...

I work for an IBM business partner and we have access to the Software Access Catalog, so I've downloaded and attempted to upload the OVA images for WebSphere Broker and WebSphere Application Server (Part No. CRH9TML) but I have hit a brick wall...
    The images are annoyingly uploaded to the box via http and driven from the VPDK side. So I have downloaded the images and put them on another box where I have IBM HTTP Server to host the files. All is well... Apart from the file seems to be uploading but fails after hours of waiting... Please see attached screenshot

The VPDK seems to have around 70GB space allocated on the VM, so that's enough space for more images... The ESX cloud also has tonnes of spare resource.
    No idea what is causing this...
    Tried uploading from the web GUI and through the CLI using Putty, same result.
    I've also built a fresh instance thinking I'd missed something around the disk properties..

Found this in the logs:
    com.ibm.research.mirage.LogStreamHandler run error: ../codec/mtar.c:linux_index_partition:127: Failed to create mg_archive!
    com.ibm.research.mirage.LogStreamHandler run error: ../codec/mtar.c:index_partition:161:
    com.ibm.research.mirage.LogStreamHandler run error: ../codec/mtar.c:index_disk:251: Unable to index partition
    com.ibm.research.mirage.LogStreamHandler run error: ../commands/publish.c:publish:374: /drouter/ramdisk2/mnt/raid-volume/raid0/templates/rainmaker-templates/import-1353940466460/RHEL55-64-flat.vmdk: failed to publish

Any assistance, greatly appreciated.
    • morganri
      morganri
      109 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-26T21:31:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi David,

I will ask Amit to take a look at this when he is available.

What account number are you using when this error occurs? I wondering if the permissions are in place.

//Rich
    • binnes
      binnes
      21 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-08T17:19:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      The WMB image is a little different to some. The image on the software catalog is a compressed archive that must be uncompressed before loading into the VPDK.

Once you have uncompressed the archive you will find a doc directory containing product documentation in pdf files. Chapter 9 of the pdf file explains how to load the WMB image into VPDK. You simply need to run the loader script contained in the archive providing the host name or address of your VPDK, a username and password and the script will load the image and script packages. After the initial upload it does take a little time, but I tested it today and it does work.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    139 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-02T14:36:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    We tried loading the VM and while we got the linux boot message in the console window, we never got the login prompt.

The last messages were:

EXT3 FS on sdb1, internal journal
    EXT-fs: recovery complete
    EXT-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.

then nothing.....just hangs there.