Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-05-09T16:01:04Z by jcdelmo
Harshix
Harshix
40 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Does RAA support Easytrieve programs?

‏2012-05-04T11:43:32Z |
I tried loading one easytrieve program into RAA but the tools shows its language as UNKNOWN.
But I can see CA-Easytrieve in the assign language options.
So I was wondering if RAA can support Easytrieve programs? If yes, how can it help with those programs?
Updated on 2012-05-09T16:01:04Z at 2012-05-09T16:01:04Z by jcdelmo
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Does RAA support Easytrieve programs?

‏2012-05-07T19:54:09Z  in response to Harshix
    RAA does not support CA-Easytrieve, scanning is limited to language agnostic symbol collection if you opt for RAA to do that, just like any other file on Windows. RAA tries to classify files as CA-Easytrieve, based on very limited code examples from clients.

The symbols scanning gives you the unstructured data, that you can use in context of other, structured data RAA collects. See this demo on how you can find database table references in Java and DDL files, similar approach can be taken with Easytrieve:
    Explore Java, COBOL, and DB2 assets using IBM Rational Asset Analyzer
    • Harshix
      Harshix
      40 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-08T06:41:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thank you for the information.

Please correct me if I am wrong. So RAA can give table name references in a file. But I have loaded all the EZT files into RAA and I still find 0 table references in the files. Is this because of the follwing reason?

We have 2 sites in RAA, A and B. Only Site A contains the Db2 system data but not Site B.
      The EZT programs are loaded in Site B.
      • jcdelmo
        jcdelmo
        343 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-08T15:21:08Z  in response to Harshix
        Some background may help.

RAA has four classes of file scanners: containerScan, classificationScan, analysisScan and symbolScan.

The containerScan scans CONTAINERs (e.g., directory on workstation, PDS on z/OS) to get a list of FILEs in the container.
        The classificationScan scans FILEs to determine languageCd, fileTypeCd and gather file-based meta-data.
        The analysisScan scans groups of FILEs, based on languageCd and fileTypeCd to gather program/job/map meta-data.
        The symbolScan, which is optional, scans files to gather SYMBOLs without regard to languageCd or fileTypeCd.

For EZT files, RAA does not ship an analysisScan scanner. However, a combination of the symbolScan on the EZT files and analysisScan on any files that do have DB2_TABLE references (or a DB2 catalog scan) allows RAA to related the symbols found in the EZT file(s) with the symbols that represent DB2_TABLE (and other asset names).

You should be able to see all the EZT symbols on the symbol summary page (if symbolScan was run) where any symbol matching a DB2 table name will show a link to that table name. The symbol summary page is across all assets and is not scoped by SITEs.

I have to assume the symbolScan check box on the inventory wizard was not checked when the EZT files were scanned, was it ?
        • Harshix
          Harshix
          40 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-09T15:27:24Z  in response to jcdelmo
          Thank you for the information. That was very helpful.
          Yes, the symbolScan check box was unchecked. I will correct it and update you.

Meanwhile, can you please explain how a DB2 system comes into RAA.
          Is it to be manually loaded into RAA or RAA generates itself?

This is because, in our RAA, I see a Db2 system called WSAA in Site A but not in Site B though same components are loaded in both the Sites.
          • jcdelmo
            jcdelmo
            343 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-09T16:01:04Z  in response to Harshix
            There are three ways db2Subsystem asset rows get entered in RAA:

1) When discovered by JCL scan, as in Batch TSO running a program under DB2
            2) When a DB2 catalog scan is run
            3) When SQL references are found in programs

In the last case, attempt is made to match the SQL reference to actual DB2 subsystem table, column and procs. However, if no DB2 cataglog scan has been run a placeholder DB2 subsystem (named *WSAA*) is added to the data base.

In RAA v6.0.0.8 (and all prior versions) there is one WSAA placeholder subsystem for all SITEs. The match for table, column and proc will all reference the placeholder rows. Any time a DB2 catalog scan is done, the placeholder subsystem rows are evaulated to see if they should be properly migrated to a real subsystem.

In the future, there are plans to have one placeholder subsystem for each SITE.