Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-05-09T12:04:47Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
13279 Posts

Pinned topic Alert not appearing in Health Manager / Scoreboard

‏2012-05-04T06:47:40Z |
I've added a storage device (Compellent storage) using a SNMP discovery.
The device is configured to send traps to IBM Systems Director.
The traps are received with Severity Unknown, so I added an Automation Plan to change the Severity to Warning.

All this works fine. In the Event Log I see the old and modified Alerts, with the correct Severity. However, the Warnings (even if I bumped the event modification to Critical) do not appear in the Health Manager. So my Scoreboard tells me I have no outstanding issues despite new Warnings being reported in the Event Log.

The device I'm monitoring has a Type of Generic Network Device, Status is OK but Access is Offline. When I select Configure Access it tells me that Access Type SNMP has an Access Status of OK. Also performing a snmpwalk from the Systems Director Server to the device works fine.

What's going wrong here?
Updated on 2012-05-09T12:04:47Z at 2012-05-09T12:04:47Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

Re: Alert not appearing in Health Manager / Scoreboard

‏2012-05-04T09:23:44Z  
    > leesew wrote:

> The device I'm monitoring has a Type of Generic Network Device, Status is OK but Access is Offline. When I select Configure Access it tells me that Access Type SNMP has an Access Status of OK.

Got Access to Online by specifying the same Connection Credentials as that I did originally during the Discovery Job.. so now my storage device says it's Online.

Regardless, I still don't get notified for Warning or Critical events.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2012-05-04T13:43:15Z  
    > leesew wrote:

> The device I'm monitoring has a Type of Generic Network Device, Status is OK but Access is Offline. When I select Configure Access it tells me that Access Type SNMP has an Access Status of OK.

Got Access to Online by specifying the same Connection Credentials as that I did originally during the Discovery Job.. so now my storage device says it's Online.

Regardless, I still don't get notified for Warning or Critical events.
    There are specific status set entries that trigger the events appearing in Active Status (and the other status areas). SNMP traps are generally not included in this.

What type of storage are you using? If it is a storage device with a supported SMI-S provider, you have much better chances of getting this to work as you would like.

----
    Craig Elliott
    IBM Advanced Technical Skills
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2012-05-09T05:11:56Z  
    There are specific status set entries that trigger the events appearing in Active Status (and the other status areas). SNMP traps are generally not included in this.

What type of storage are you using? If it is a storage device with a supported SMI-S provider, you have much better chances of getting this to work as you would like.

----
    Craig Elliott
    IBM Advanced Technical Skills
    I see. Strange, my FC Switches send traps, which are 'correctly' displayed in the Scoreboard.
    A Dell Compellent - sadly witout SMI-S support.
    Is there any other way to get this working?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts

‏2012-05-09T12:04:47Z  
    I see. Strange, my FC Switches send traps, which are 'correctly' displayed in the Scoreboard.
    A Dell Compellent - sadly witout SMI-S support.
    Is there any other way to get this working?
    And here's the solution to my problem:

Create a mapping between SNMP traps received from IBM Systems Director to Events:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/director/pubs/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.director.automation.helps.doc%2Ffqm0_c_ea_mapping_snmp_traps_events.html