Topic
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2012-05-04T05:13:27Z by j.gann
RFS
RFS
13 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Setting CPU Entitlement Low

‏2012-05-03T16:54:35Z |
Are there any known pitfalls of setting the SPLPAR entitlement well below normal CPU Unit usage levels while using the "Online Virtual" setting to support application peak loads.

My goal is to get more utilization from my FRAME.

I am finding I run out of "CPU Entitlement" before the FRAME is out CPU capacity when looking at my historical utilization levels.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

RFS
Updated on 2012-05-04T05:13:27Z at 2012-05-04T05:13:27Z by j.gann
  • j.gann
    j.gann
    52 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Setting CPU Entitlement Low

‏2012-05-04T05:13:27Z  in response to RFS
    > RFS wrote:
    > Are there any known pitfalls of setting the SPLPAR entitlement well below normal CPU Unit usage levels while using the "Online Virtual" setting to support application peak loads.

this is common practice for uncapped lpars. it allows starting a lot of lpars initially while still enabling them to grab additional cycles once the workloads ramp up.
    the pitfall is that small entitlements will cause more frequent rescheduling by the hypervisor (under competition, lpars are forced off after they have used up their entitlement although they might be reconsidered for running again later on). the negative side effect is that very probably the memory caches are invalidated during this reschedule (different lpar, different code and data).

I'd use a strategy to give the "performance-wise important" lpars enough entitlement for their typical workload and the "not-so important" ones a minimum.

for details check out nigel griffith's excellent article series about power(7) affinity on dw called "local, near & far" here on dw.

Joachim Gann