• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-05-09T15:49:29Z by dan_darnell
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6195 Posts

Pinned topic Android Apps?

‏2012-05-03T14:05:06Z |
Hi Cafe,

I know that EGL RUI can be used to develop web based applications. This means that if the project is deployed on a server tomcat or WAS then an android device would be able to access this page. However, can EGL be used to generate pure Java that can be run natively on an android?

Alternatively can an EGL page be generated so that it can be used offline (disconnected from the application server)?

Many Thanks

James
Updated on 2012-05-09T15:49:29Z at 2012-05-09T15:49:29Z by dan_darnell
  • wisenose
    wisenose
    125 Posts

Re: Android Apps?

‏2012-05-09T11:26:46Z  
    Hi James,

Last year november Will Smythe presented the EGL Strategy update 2011.
    I attached an image of one of the sheets which probably answers your question.
    I'm not sure if this is allowed but I'm sure IBM will remove my attachment if not.
    Also: when googling for 'egl mobile web' you will find some interesting items on this topic.

Guus
  • dan_darnell
    dan_darnell
    973 Posts

Re: Android Apps?

‏2012-05-09T15:49:29Z  
    "However, can EGL be used to generate pure Java that can be run natively on an android?"

The short answer is 'no'. EGL does not currently generate Java code using the Android API's. You can write EGL code using Dojo Mobile but it isn't a native Android app with access to all of the bells and whistles of the underlying device.

"Alternatively can an EGL page be generated so that it can be used offline (disconnected from the application server)?"

Because the Rich UI side of an EGL application is JavaScript, it is not dependent upon an application server. So if you can stay client-side in your application then you don't need an application server.

You will need an application server or some other "connected" way to obtain data (non-EGL web services for example) in order to have a very useful business application but it is possible to use browser-local storage and construct an application that has online and offline modes wherein you practice a store-and-forward or other synchronization method for working offline.

--Dan