IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-05-02T11:23:46Z by hovish
Lambrigtsen
Lambrigtsen
4 Posts

Pinned topic Visual Studio 2008 Setup Project

‏2012-05-01T17:50:22Z |
I have developed a .NET Framework 3.5 WPF application using Visual Studio 2008. I have also created a Setup Project within the same solution that I'll be using to distribute my application. The application makes reference to the .NET data provider for Informix. My setup project detects the IBM.Data.Informix.dll and IBM.Data.U2.Ucinet.dll libraries but after installing the MSI file and running the app, I recieve data access exceptions.

My question is this - is it possible to deploy an application that successfully connects to IDS without installing the IBM Data Server Driver Package on the client machine. I'm having difficulty finding a definitive answer to this question so decided to ask it myself.

I'd appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction.
Updated on 2012-05-02T11:23:46Z at 2012-05-02T11:23:46Z by hovish
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

Re: Visual Studio 2008 Setup Project

‏2012-05-01T19:07:56Z  
    Hi,

you absolutely need to install an IBM Data Server Driver ( or Client ) package on every machine that is planning to run application connecting to IDS ( or DB2 ) server.
    You can either specify it as a pre requisite for your application, or you can add IBM Data Server Driver Merge Module to your Setup project in order to distribute the driver together with your application.

Regards,
    Alex
  • Lambrigtsen
    Lambrigtsen
    4 Posts

‏2012-05-01T22:02:18Z  
    Hi,

you absolutely need to install an IBM Data Server Driver ( or Client ) package on every machine that is planning to run application connecting to IDS ( or DB2 ) server.
    You can either specify it as a pre requisite for your application, or you can add IBM Data Server Driver Merge Module to your Setup project in order to distribute the driver together with your application.

Regards,
    Alex
    Is there no way to just include the files necessary for the IDS .NET Data Provider? Installation of the driver package via the setup exe or merge module looks to require admin rights. I don't need all of the connection options provided by the driver package, just the IDS provider.
  • hovish
    hovish
    10 Posts

‏2012-05-02T11:23:46Z  
    Is there no way to just include the files necessary for the IDS .NET Data Provider? Installation of the driver package via the setup exe or merge module looks to require admin rights. I don't need all of the connection options provided by the driver package, just the IDS provider.
    Hi,
    since it is a common provider, there is no way to select only IDS specific files. You can follow either of the approaches which Alex has suggested in his previous reply.

Regards
    Vishwa