Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-05-02T11:24:39Z by Harshix
Harshix
Harshix
40 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Found unsupported syntax 'IDMS-CONTROL'- How to get away with this

‏2012-04-29T13:39:48Z |
We have around 1000 programs that have the IDMS-CONTROL SECTION in their ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
As we loaded all the components, all but these programs went through. These programs show the analysis status as "Error" with the following message

RC=8 TYPE=COBOL AES1004E: Found unsupported syntax 
'IDMS-CONTROL'

Is there a work around for getting these programs analysed successfully? Can any of the scanning help?
Updated on 2012-05-02T11:24:39Z at 2012-05-02T11:24:39Z by Harshix
  • Harshix
    Harshix
    40 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Found unsupported syntax 'IDMS-CONTROL'- How to get away with this

‏2012-04-29T13:45:43Z  in response to Harshix
    *Can any of the scanning options help?
  • jcdelmo
    jcdelmo
    343 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-30T15:23:31Z  in response to Harshix
    The existence of the 'IDMS-CONTROL' section label in the program(s) indicates they implement the IDMS extensions to the COBOL standard to invoke IDMS functionality - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDMS

The RAA COBOL scanners do not support IDMS extensions.

There are a number of options you could pursue:

1) open an Request For Enhancement against RAA
    2) comment out the IDMS extensions
    3) develop a preprocessor to change/remove the IDMS extensions
    4) run the IDMS preprocessor
    5) contact RAA development team regarding joint venture to add support
    • Harshix
      Harshix
      40 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-01T10:19:08Z  in response to jcdelmo
      There are too many programs in our environments that contain IDMS usage. Manually commenting/removing the IDMS section may not be a fesiable option.
      4) run the IDMS preprocessor

Does the IDMS preprocessor come with in the default RAA package?
      Or it has to be installed seperately?

3) develop a preprocessor to change/remove the IDMS extensions

How can a preprocessor be developed/modified? Some light on it please.
      • jcdelmo
        jcdelmo
        343 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-01T15:24:28Z  in response to Harshix
        on 4: CA-IDMS (see http://www.ca.com/us/products/detail/CA-IDMS.aspx) is a product offered by CA Technologies. I do not have access to, or experience with, but assume it has a pre-processor for source code in order to prepare the source for IBM's COBOL compiler. My assumption may be wrong. Because your environment has IDMS syntax, I would suggest contacting the application owner(s) to see how they prepare the editable files for compilation. Whatever process that is, is what I was referring to when I said to 'run the IDMS preprocessor'.

on 3: An RAA custom preprocessor is a user supplied program, invoked via REXX prior to RAA's execution of the COBOL and/or PLI scanners. It accepts the original source file(s) and is expected to produce a modified source file and a mapping file (which indicates which lines were preprocessed in some fashion). The attached file documents this method of extending RAA for source file syntax it does not natively handled. My assumption is you would process your input source files and comment out the IDMS specific syntax -- but again, that's just my initial thought.

Alternatively, you can a) open an RFE as suggested earlier or b) indicate you want/need help via an IBM services engagement.
        • Harshix
          Harshix
          40 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-02T11:24:39Z  in response to jcdelmo
          That was helpful. Thank you