• 17 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-05-17T18:11:57Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1143 Posts

Pinned topic IBM Informix SDK 3.70

‏2012-04-29T08:43:01Z |
Hi All,
I have downloaded IBM Informix Clint SDK 3.7 to connect informix database from windows 7, in Setnet32 it is asking for Services and Protocol, I have added service name as "informix" and protocol as "onsoctcp", I also added in /windows/system32/driver/etc/services the service "informix" and the port "1526/tcp" and "onsoctcp" is the protocol

Now when i'm trying to connect the server i'm receiving the error message "Error 08004 attempt to connect to database server failed"

Could you please advise!

Thanks a lot for your support
Ahmed Yasin
Updated on 2012-05-17T18:11:57Z at 2012-05-17T18:11:57Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts

Re: IBM Informix SDK 3.70

‏2012-04-30T14:44:20Z  
    Hi Ahmed,

The error 08004 is a generic error message.

Double check the connection information you entered in setnet32 and make sure it matches the SQLHOST entry for your Informix server. If the connection information is correct, try to telnet the port from your Windows 7 machine using
    "telnet <hostname> 1526" and see if it works.

Hope it helps.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts

‏2012-05-02T07:26:24Z  
    Hi Ahmed,

Double check the connection information you entered in setnet32 and make sure it matches the SQLHOST entry for your Informix server. If the connection information is correct, try to telnet the port from your Windows 7 machine using

Hope it helps.
    Hi Dear,
    Thanks for your kind reply, i was really waiting for it but i have just seen it!

In fact i'm using informix version 5.05 and i'm not able to find the file "SQLHOST"
    In setnet32 i have entered the server name, hostname, protocol name and service name
    I'm sure about server name and hostname but i'm not sure about protocol and service
    in protocol field i used "onsoctp"
    in service field i used "informix"
    in windows 7 i have added the protocol and service as below
    1. <service name> <port number>/<protocol> http://aliases... <comment>
    informix 1526/tcp onsoctcp #for informix

i'm not sure if 1526 is really the port for my informix or not? and i'm not also sure if informix is the service name for my informix server or not?
    do i have to add some thing in informix to enable me to access the informix server?

Awaiting your kind reply

Thanks a lot
    Ahmed
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts

‏2012-05-02T14:06:09Z  
    Hi Ahmed,

Hope it helps.
    Hi Yunming,
    Have you seen my last message? could you please help because i'm still cannot access the database from SDK client
    Thanks dear
    Ahmed
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts

‏2012-05-02T14:34:52Z  
    Hi Yunming,
    Have you seen my last message? could you please help because i'm still cannot access the database from SDK client
    Thanks dear
    Ahmed
    Hi Ahmed,

Informix server 5.0.5 is really old. To configure the Informix client on your Windows 7 machine, you need to find the SQLHOSTS entry of your Infomix server. The Informix sever SQLHOSTS entry tells you the Informix server name, protocol type, host name (or IP address), and the TCP port number that your Informix server instance is listening to. You may want to contact your Informix DBA for it.

Once you obtain the above connection informaton, you can enter it in setnet32.exe. If you enter the TCP port number in the service field, you don't need to add anything to the services file. It is important that the connecton information you enter in setnet32.exe matches your Informix server SQLHOSTS entry.

Hope this helps.

Yunming
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts

‏2012-05-03T07:03:59Z  
    Hi Ahmed,

Informix server 5.0.5 is really old. To configure the Informix client on your Windows 7 machine, you need to find the SQLHOSTS entry of your Infomix server. The Informix sever SQLHOSTS entry tells you the Informix server name, protocol type, host name (or IP address), and the TCP port number that your Informix server instance is listening to. You may want to contact your Informix DBA for it.

Once you obtain the above connection informaton, you can enter it in setnet32.exe. If you enter the TCP port number in the service field, you don't need to add anything to the services file. It is important that the connecton information you enter in setnet32.exe matches your Informix server SQLHOSTS entry.

Hope this helps.

Yunming
    Hi Yunming,

I have a file called hosts which having the server name and the ip address of the server, also there is a file called services which having informix like this:
    1. UNIX specific services
    exec 512/tcp
    biff 512/udp comsat

But there is no file called sqlhosts!!
    is there any way to work around? Couldn't we add manually the TCP port in informix?

Please try to help me, i don't have any support here and i'm the one who taking care after data base

Regards,
    Ahmed
  • andreasl
    andreasl
    372 Posts

‏2012-05-03T07:58:55Z  
    Hi Yunming,

I have a file called hosts which having the server name and the ip address of the server, also there is a file called services which having informix like this:
    1. UNIX specific services
    exec 512/tcp
    biff 512/udp comsat

But there is no file called sqlhosts!!
    is there any way to work around? Couldn't we add manually the TCP port in informix?

Please try to help me, i don't have any support here and i'm the one who taking care after data base

Regards,
    Ahmed
    There should be a file called sqlhosts in etc directory under your Informix install directory ($INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts).
    Alternatively you might have an environment variable $INFORMIXSQLHOSTS pointing to such file (absolute path, so could reside anywhere).

HTH,
    Andreas
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts

‏2012-05-03T10:30:53Z  
    • andreasl
    • ‏2012-05-03T07:58:55Z
    There should be a file called sqlhosts in etc directory under your Informix install directory ($INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts).
    Alternatively you might have an environment variable $INFORMIXSQLHOSTS pointing to such file (absolute path, so could reside anywhere).

HTH,
    Andreas
    Hi Andreas,

I cannot find the sqlhosts file under $INFORMIXDIR/etc
    Could you please explain me the alternative way?

I can call you and give you access to my computer to sort the problem if you like because i have tried to sort it by many means but i could not

WBR
    Ahmed
  • andreasl
    andreasl
    372 Posts

‏2012-05-03T13:12:01Z  
    Hi Andreas,

I cannot find the sqlhosts file under $INFORMIXDIR/etc
    Could you please explain me the alternative way?

I can call you and give you access to my computer to sort the problem if you like because i have tried to sort it by many means but i could not

WBR
    Ahmed
    Looks like you're using Informix 5 without NET/STAR, so no remote/network access is possible. Please verify this is installed by checking for $INFORMIXDIR/lib/sqlexecd. If it is not installed, you'd have to obtain this package from somewhere to enable accessibility from your Windows box.

Might want to check out old documentation for Online5 and NET-STAR, from Alphabetical listing of titles (2006 and earlier)

HTH,
    Andreas
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts

‏2012-05-04T11:30:43Z  
    • andreasl
    • ‏2012-05-03T13:12:01Z
    Looks like you're using Informix 5 without NET/STAR, so no remote/network access is possible. Please verify this is installed by checking for $INFORMIXDIR/lib/sqlexecd. If it is not installed, you'd have to obtain this package from somewhere to enable accessibility from your Windows box.

Might want to check out old documentation for Online5 and NET-STAR, from Alphabetical listing of titles (2006 and earlier)

HTH,
    Andreas
    Hi Andreas,

under $INFORMIXDIR/lib there is no file with the name "sqlexecd"
    I can see only two files sqlturbo and tools directory

To enable accessibility from my windows Do I have to reinstall informix with NET/STAR? or just install NET/STAR package? if so how can i install it seperately?

Please note that informix online 5.0.5 is installed on UNIX

Kindly advise

Thanks a lot for your kind support
    WBR
    Ahmed
    UAE, Dubai
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts

‏2012-05-08T08:27:39Z  
    • andreasl
    • ‏2012-05-03T13:12:01Z

HTH,
    Andreas
    Hi Andreas,

I have gone through the manual as you advised and i found out the steps for installing the informix.net
    The problem that i don't have the product material so i'm requesting you to help me to download the informix.net and install it from internet

Thanks for your support
    Ahmed
  • andreasl
    andreasl
    372 Posts

‏2012-05-08T09:55:46Z  
    Hi Andreas,

I have gone through the manual as you advised and i found out the steps for installing the informix.net
    The problem that i don't have the product material so i'm requesting you to help me to download the informix.net and install it from internet

Thanks for your support
    Ahmed
    Hi Ahmed,

that's what I'd have assumed too, but I can't provide you this package.

I'd advise you to contact IBM sales, afaik Informix version 5 still is on offer (though definitely no longer in your version 5.05, I think 5.20 is kind of 'current').
    You might want to try askIFMX@us.ibm.com for this inquiry.

Alternatively you might want to bring your database server to a more recent version, there also are no-cost versions available per "www.informix.com".

HTH,
    Andreas
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts

‏2012-05-08T13:15:27Z  
    • andreasl
    • ‏2012-05-08T09:55:46Z
    Hi Ahmed,

I'd advise you to contact IBM sales, afaik Informix version 5 still is on offer (though definitely no longer in your version 5.05, I think 5.20 is kind of 'current').

Alternatively you might want to bring your database server to a more recent version, there also are no-cost versions available per "www.informix.com".

HTH,
    Andreas
    Hi Andreas,

Thanks for you support, I have sent email to askIFMX@us.ibm.com I hope they will come back to me!

I will let you know once it is ok

Regards,
    Ahmed
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts

‏2012-05-10T05:31:00Z  
    • andreasl
    • ‏2012-05-08T09:55:46Z
    Hi Ahmed,

HTH,
    Andreas
    Good Morning Andreas,

In fact I have not got a reply from IBM yet!
    Do you have any alternative soluation?

WBR
    Ahmed
    UAE, Duabi
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts

‏2012-05-12T14:17:32Z  
    Hi Andreas,

Thanks for you support, I have sent email to askIFMX@us.ibm.com I hope they will come back to me!

I will let you know once it is ok

Regards,
    Ahmed
    Hi Andresas / Yunming,
    In fact we cannot upgrade our existing informix 5.0.5 because we have a third party software which is running on this version and it can run only with this version
    With informix 11.50 i can run the ODBC but still i need to run it on 5.0.5 because all our data there!
    I have not got any reply from IBM regarding informix net!
    If you can help out i will be really thankful to you.

WBR,
    Ahmed
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts

‏2012-05-14T13:13:00Z  
    Hi Andresas / Yunming,
    In fact we cannot upgrade our existing informix 5.0.5 because we have a third party software which is running on this version and it can run only with this version
    With informix 11.50 i can run the ODBC but still i need to run it on 5.0.5 because all our data there!
    I have not got any reply from IBM regarding informix net!
    If you can help out i will be really thankful to you.

WBR,
    Ahmed
    Hi Ahmed,

Please contact your local IBM sales focal and get the Informix Net product. I confirmed that we still sell this. If you don't know who your sales focal is, please let me know and I'll see if I could help.

Regards,
    Yunming
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts

‏2012-05-17T08:29:12Z  
    Hi Ahmed,

Please contact your local IBM sales focal and get the Informix Net product. I confirmed that we still sell this. If you don't know who your sales focal is, please let me know and I'll see if I could help.

Regards,
    Yunming
    Hi Yunming,

I have a difficulty in reaching the right person at IBM, can you please send me the contact details for some one in UAE

Regards,
    Ahmed
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1143 Posts

‏2012-05-17T18:11:57Z  
    Hi Yunming,

I have a difficulty in reaching the right person at IBM, can you please send me the contact details for some one in UAE

Regards,
    Ahmed
    Hi Ahmed,

I will try to find the contact information for you. I will let you know.

Regards, Yunming