Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-05-01T22:15:09Z by Matt_DOORS
Matt_DOORS
Matt_DOORS
5 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Can not restore DOORS projects on DOORS server (Windows) with DOORS 6.0 SR1

‏2012-04-27T23:21:54Z |
I have a DOORS server (Windows) with DOORS 6.0 SR1 installed (2004)

I have been restoring DOORS project archive files on it for years (doing one as recently as two months ago). I tried to restore a DOORS project archive file this week and unfortunately, even though I have Database Manager permissions, the 'File' -> 'Restore' -> 'Project' menu selection is greyed out and therefore, I can not do a restore/install action.

Thus, I can not restore/install any more DOORS project archive files (I also can not do any deletes/purges since those menu selections are greyed out too). My menu selection lists behave as if I am a regular user without any 'Database Manager' permissions. Other DOORS user accounts with 'Database Manager' permissions behave similarly, including all 'administrator' type accounts.

I do not think it is a license problem, or an issue with the number of
DOORS user accounts on the system, or an issue with the number of DOORS
projects/modules that have already been restored onto the DOORS server.
I could be wrong about that though.

The only thing that has occurred over the past two months is that a new user or two have been added (with only user permissions).

I'd like to know if there is a solution to this problem, which seemed to just pop up out of nowhere, or if there is no other solution except to try and reinstall DOORS 6.0 SR1 and see if that enables the menu selections to behave as expected for those DOORS accounts that have 'Database Manager' permissions.
Thank you
Updated on 2012-05-01T22:15:09Z at 2012-05-01T22:15:09Z by Matt_DOORS
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    132 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Can not restore DOORS projects on DOORS server (Windows) with DOORS 6.0 SR1

‏2012-04-29T03:24:25Z  in response to Matt_DOORS
    Can you confirm that when you login, you see something like "User Type: Database Manager" in status area at the bottom of the DOORS Explorer window.

You stated "...permissions behave similarly, including all 'administrator' type accounts..". This suggests multiple admin accounts - but there is only one Administrator (super user) account in DOORS - so not sure if you're confusing users who have been assigned a lot powers with the actual single "Administrator" login. If you can login as the Administrator and this problem is still happening then, yep, you have a big problem. The double problem is that DOORS 6.0 was end-lifed a long long time ago so IBM will not give you much joy in terms of support (well, not without incurring a hefty fee for service).

I don't think reinstalling the DOORS client will help as the permissions data that the client uses is all stored in the database - if all other clients exhibit the same greying out of menu items then it's not the client.

If you have overnight backups and this problem only occurred recently, can you create another DOORS DB instance in a sandpit area on a server and restore into that DB, redirect a client to connect with that DB, confirm all is OK, and then regress the production DB back to this restore point?
    Paul Miller
    Melbourne, Australia
    • Matt_DOORS
      Matt_DOORS
      5 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-30T11:28:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thank you Paul for your reply.

The bottom of the DOORS screen does say "Database Manager" for my DOORs account and I have been able to routinely restore .dpa files for many years (including late February 2012). Something happened over the last two months that is preventing my menu drop down lists from having the 'restore' selection activated so I can click on it and then complete the restoration of a .dpa file.

When I mentioned doing a reinstall of DOORS in my original post, I meant a reinstall on the server, not the client installations. Also, it does not look like I can create another DB instance. I can not do deletes/purges either.

I'm thinking that maybe a recent MS Windows update to either my PC or the
      server machine may have had an impact ( or some other configuration update such as a Java update), but otherwise, it seems to me that a
      total uninstall and reinstall on the server is the best chance to resolve
      the problem ( I have backups of the DOORS projects that are currently installed so there should be no loss of data).

Thanks again for the info/suggestions in your reply.
      • Matt_DOORS
        Matt_DOORS
        5 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-30T20:28:12Z  in response to Matt_DOORS
        Paul,

When I show the properties of the database view, it shows the access for 'Everyone' as being 'R' (i.e., at the root database level). Therefore, all menu selection items for things like
        'purge', 'delete', 'restore' --> 'project', etc. are greyed out
        and thus not active.

Also, it does not seem possible to try and add a new database view to this DOORS database at the root level (due to the problem that has been encountered as described in this thread).
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          132 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-30T21:54:13Z  in response to Matt_DOORS
          Can you login as the "Administrator" account? The Administrator is immune from all access rights and will be able to change the root access rights.

Is it possible that someone else with DB Manager powers has inadvertently changed the root access permissions to "R" which will lock everyone out including the person who changed it.

Paul Miller
          Melbourne, Australia
          • Matt_DOORS
            Matt_DOORS
            5 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-01T06:32:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Paul,

The IT person on our project did try the 'administrator' account and was also unable to do the typical Database Manager operations (e.g., restores, purges, etc.).

The chances are virtually zero that anyone else who has Database Manager permissions would have changed the root access permissions to 'R'.

I think that the DOORS database has somehow been corrupted (maybe due to
            abrupt/ungraceful exits from DOORS sessions by DOORS users on the project I work on and/or due to locks/lock removals that were done while DOORS sessions were open). Seems that a re-install and/or something along that line is probably the only possible solution.

Thank you for your thoughts on the matter and I certainly welcome any additional possibilities that you might think are worth considering, even if the chances are quite remote.
            • Matt_DOORS
              Matt_DOORS
              5 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-01T22:15:09Z  in response to Matt_DOORS
              FYI, I had to resort to a total reinstall of the DOORS 6.0 SR1 tool and when I logged into my DOORS 'Database Manager' account, I was able to do a restore of a DOORS project archive (.dpa) file. All other behavior of the DOORS system appears normal as well, so it looks like the reinstall was a solution. Unless someone still wants to add any thoughts on this matter, which might lead to a solution that is short of having to do a complete reinstall of the DOORS tool, then this forum thread should be considered completed/closed.

Thank you again for your responses and attempts to assist on the matter. I am very grateful and I hope all your projects are going well.