Topic
  • 29 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-06-18T13:51:24Z by JoeWinchester
JohnKnutson
JohnKnutson
126 Posts

Pinned topic CICS Explorer V1.1.1 announcement

‏2012-04-27T09:57:55Z |
IBM CICS Explorer V1.1.1 (CICS Explorer) has been restructured to separate the CICS-specific perspectives and capabilities from the connectivity infrastructure and z/OS platform views to create a new, reusable component known as IBM Explorer for z/OS V1.1 (z/OS Explorer).

As mentioned in another post, the V12.1 plug-ins for five IBM Problem Determination tools: Fault Analyzer, File Manager, Debug Tool, Application Performance Analyzer, and - new this year - Workload Simulator, will utilize the z/OS Explorer component. The z/OS Explorer component will be seamlessly integrated with CICS Explorer, providing full compatibility for existing CICS TS and CICS Tools perspectives, and enhanced usability by the PD Tools.

z/OS Explorer V1.1 is also embedded in IMS Enterprise Suite Explorer for Development V2.1.2, giving the PD Tools plug-ins a consistent user experience regardless of platform.

Key capabilities provided by z/OS Explorer include:

Connections
A common connections framework provides a consistent visual and programming experience for managing connections between plug-ins and server components such as CICS TS regions, DB2 databases, and tool servers. When plug-ins use the connection framework, users are only prompted for their ID and password once per session, even when accessing multiple tools on same LPAR.

A new Connection Management view will supplement the current modal Preferences panel, providing enhanced capabilities including filtering, intelligent automatic connection naming, connection status, as well as the ability to define, edit, and export/import connection definitions. Credentials can now be associated with multiple connections in a single operation.

Connection definitions can now be centrally defined and remotely accessed by individual Explorers, without the need for them to be manually configured or imported by each user.

Users of the V11.1 PD Tools plug-ins will need to migrate their connection definitions, when they will benefit from the common connection framework and the shared connection definitions.

The SDK (Software Development kit) has been updated with a source code sample plug-in to demonstrate the use of the connection framework. The sample integrates a telnet client with the existing zFS file support.

Access to z/OS resources
z/OS Explorer includes a perspective, views, and APIs to list, create, edit, and control z/OS datasets, partitioned datasets, zFS files and paths, submit jobs and view JES spool output. When used in conjunction with z/OS releases V1.9 to V1.12, these capabilities require the FTP (File Transfer Protocol) server provided by IBM Communications Server.

Customers with z/OS V1.13 and above can connect z/OS Explorer to z/OSMF V1.13 (z/OS System Management Facility) using its RESTful interface, to submit jobs, obtain the status of a job, list the spool files for a job, retrieve the contents of a job spool file, cancel a job, or purge a job from the JES spool. z/OSMF integration extends the capabilities provided by the current FTP connection to display spool output for active jobs, such as CICS regions, faster retrieval of spool output, and enhanced manipulation of jobs. A FTP connection is still required to access z/OS datasets and zFS files.

Other CICS Explorer V1.1.1 enhancements
Java Web Start (JWS) technology can now be used to deploy the CICS Explorer executable from a network connection, removing the need for individual users to update their CICS Explorer, and facilitating large-scale deployment to hundreds or thousands of users. When used in conjunction with shared connection definitions, JWS allows centralized rollout to large numbers of desktops from a single control point.

In addition to the new generic capabilities introduced with the z/OS Explorer, CICS Explorer V1.1.1 includes the following enhancements:

o Copying and pasting resource data to a spreadsheet
o Exporting a file or folder to a z/OS Unix file system
o Creating a new z/OS Unix file
o Creating a new data set
o Support for CICS VSE - equivalent to the read-only capabilities available with CICS TS for z/OS V3
o Ability to create a new resource from an existing definition
o Ability to see the contents resource definition group
o Support for multiple selection job submission from the z/OS Data Sets view
o Support for deleting or purging multiple files in the z/OS Explorer
o Ability to create a Job Submission project and JCL files, in the Project Explorer view in the resource perspective, while working offline

CICS Explorer V1.1.1 will be generally available for download from http://ibm.com/cics/explorer/download on May 11th 2012.
Updated on 2012-06-18T13:51:24Z at 2012-06-18T13:51:24Z by JoeWinchester
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

Re: CICS Explorer V1.1.1 announcement

‏2012-05-01T12:22:37Z  
    Hi John,

When we come to put on V1.1.1, I'd like a suggestion as to the best way.

Currently, we are on V1.1.0.1 with the plugin loaded for CICS PA 3.2. The directory that Explorer is in....is on the network so that all can use it. It is in a directory with 1.1.0.1 in the pathname (maybe that wasn't such a good idea in retrospect but seemed OK at the time).

In your opinion, would it be best to start anew with V1.1.1 and reload the new PA plugin on top of that or just update the existing Explorer with the 1.1.0.1 in the pathname?

Can we pull all the connection type data across from V1.1.0.1 if we setup V1.1.1 in a new folder?
    Can we open 2 versions at the same time so I can re-do all the connections into V1.1.1?

Thanks,

Kevin
  • JoeWinchester
    JoeWinchester
    32 Posts

‏2012-05-02T14:43:23Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-05-01T12:22:37Z
    Hi John,

When we come to put on V1.1.1, I'd like a suggestion as to the best way.

Currently, we are on V1.1.0.1 with the plugin loaded for CICS PA 3.2. The directory that Explorer is in....is on the network so that all can use it. It is in a directory with 1.1.0.1 in the pathname (maybe that wasn't such a good idea in retrospect but seemed OK at the time).

In your opinion, would it be best to start anew with V1.1.1 and reload the new PA plugin on top of that or just update the existing Explorer with the 1.1.0.1 in the pathname?

Can we pull all the connection type data across from V1.1.0.1 if we setup V1.1.1 in a new folder?
    Can we open 2 versions at the same time so I can re-do all the connections into V1.1.1?

Thanks,

Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

For moving your Explorer 1.1.0 environment which has the PA 3.2 plugin to Explorer 1.1.1, both of your two suggestions for upgrade should work.

In the Explorer 1.1.0 we include the URL of the update site that is used to deliver new releases of explorer software, which will be: "IBM CICS Explorer Update Site - http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/htp/cics/updates/explorer/1.1/latest/". If you select "Help>Install New Software" what the explorer will do is connect to this update site and see that there is a 1.1.1 release which, because it is higher numerically than your 1.1.0 release, give you the opportunity to confirm you want it and then upgrade your environment to 1.1.1. (Note that we won't be making the 1.1.1 build available till May 11th). Having done this after a restart the PA 3.2 plugin should continue to work.

When any of your users restart their explorer their workspace, which is held locally for them, will be "upgraded" as it will become a 1.1.1 compatible workspace. It won't be possible for them to re-use that workspace with their 1.1.0 explorer, so I think leaving the 1.1.0 version available and creating a new 1.1.1 drive might not be the best route - possibly better to just upgrade the 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 and leave it on the 1.1.0 drive which presumably folks have a mapping to.

If you do leave the 1.1.0 CICS Explorer where it is, then when you create a 1.1.1 folder with the CICS Explorer the same workspace should be used (depending on how you've configured the cicsexplorer.ini or -data parameters) and the connection details will just be brought forward without any problems. One thing you might want to look at though is a new feature in the CICS Explorer 1.1.1 where you can dyamically share files containing connections - to create one of these from any explorer environment (whether 1.1.0 or 1.1.1) you export the connections from the workspace into a file called "some_connections.prefs" (any file name will do) and then in a workspace you do an import from this file and choose to dynamically load. This means that each time a workspace begins the file is read and the list of previously imported connections updated, allowing you to add/remove/change connection details as new systems are added, ports changed, systems brought down, etc...

You cannot open two versions at the same time with same workspace - when a CICS Explorer is opened a file called .lock is created in the .metadata folder in the workspace and if this file is present - and locked - when the CICS Explorer opens a nice error dialog will let you know and your only choice is to exit.

For your shared environment, one thing you might want to consider is the Java Web Start deployment solution. There is a very nice article written by some of the development team in Hursley, at https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/aimsupport/entry/deploy_cics_explorer_using_java_web_start?lang=en. The JWS solution is effectively a shared drive (although over HTTP) but it has the advantage of faster startup times as the explorer gets kept in the browser's cache until the network copy is updated.

Best regards,

Joe
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-05-02T14:50:08Z  
    Hi Kevin,

For moving your Explorer 1.1.0 environment which has the PA 3.2 plugin to Explorer 1.1.1, both of your two suggestions for upgrade should work.

In the Explorer 1.1.0 we include the URL of the update site that is used to deliver new releases of explorer software, which will be: "IBM CICS Explorer Update Site - http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/htp/cics/updates/explorer/1.1/latest/". If you select "Help>Install New Software" what the explorer will do is connect to this update site and see that there is a 1.1.1 release which, because it is higher numerically than your 1.1.0 release, give you the opportunity to confirm you want it and then upgrade your environment to 1.1.1. (Note that we won't be making the 1.1.1 build available till May 11th). Having done this after a restart the PA 3.2 plugin should continue to work.

When any of your users restart their explorer their workspace, which is held locally for them, will be "upgraded" as it will become a 1.1.1 compatible workspace. It won't be possible for them to re-use that workspace with their 1.1.0 explorer, so I think leaving the 1.1.0 version available and creating a new 1.1.1 drive might not be the best route - possibly better to just upgrade the 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 and leave it on the 1.1.0 drive which presumably folks have a mapping to.

If you do leave the 1.1.0 CICS Explorer where it is, then when you create a 1.1.1 folder with the CICS Explorer the same workspace should be used (depending on how you've configured the cicsexplorer.ini or -data parameters) and the connection details will just be brought forward without any problems. One thing you might want to look at though is a new feature in the CICS Explorer 1.1.1 where you can dyamically share files containing connections - to create one of these from any explorer environment (whether 1.1.0 or 1.1.1) you export the connections from the workspace into a file called "some_connections.prefs" (any file name will do) and then in a workspace you do an import from this file and choose to dynamically load. This means that each time a workspace begins the file is read and the list of previously imported connections updated, allowing you to add/remove/change connection details as new systems are added, ports changed, systems brought down, etc...

You cannot open two versions at the same time with same workspace - when a CICS Explorer is opened a file called .lock is created in the .metadata folder in the workspace and if this file is present - and locked - when the CICS Explorer opens a nice error dialog will let you know and your only choice is to exit.

For your shared environment, one thing you might want to consider is the Java Web Start deployment solution. There is a very nice article written by some of the development team in Hursley, at https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/aimsupport/entry/deploy_cics_explorer_using_java_web_start?lang=en. The JWS solution is effectively a shared drive (although over HTTP) but it has the advantage of faster startup times as the explorer gets kept in the browser's cache until the network copy is updated.

Best regards,

Joe
    Thanks Joe, much appreciated. I'm out the week of May 7th...so will check those hints out when I return.

Regards,

Kevin
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-05-14T18:43:07Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-05-02T14:50:08Z
    Thanks Joe, much appreciated. I'm out the week of May 7th...so will check those hints out when I return.

Regards,

Kevin
    Interesting. Even though I can download Explorer V1.1.1 from the web, trying to do an update via Explorer itself finds no updates.

Kevin
  • SteveBolton
    SteveBolton
    18 Posts

‏2012-05-15T08:48:54Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-05-14T18:43:07Z
    Interesting. Even though I can download Explorer V1.1.1 from the web, trying to do an update via Explorer itself finds no updates.

Kevin
    Hi Kevin

We have just tried running help->check for updates on Windows and Linux versions of Explorer 1.1.0.1 and they updated fine.
    Can you confirm which version of Explorer you are trying to update.

Also please would you check the update site IBM CICS Explorer Update Site is
    http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/htp/cics/updates/explorer/1.1/latest/
    Thanks
    Steve Bolton
    IBM CICS Explorer Development
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-05-15T10:32:55Z  
    Hi Kevin

We have just tried running help->check for updates on Windows and Linux versions of Explorer 1.1.0.1 and they updated fine.
    Can you confirm which version of Explorer you are trying to update.

Also please would you check the update site IBM CICS Explorer Update Site is
    http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/htp/cics/updates/explorer/1.1/latest/
    Thanks
    Steve Bolton
    IBM CICS Explorer Development
    OK, I just checked Preferences\Install/Update\Available Software Sites and the check box for CICS EXplorer was unchecked. Checked that and the update was found. Now, for the PA Plugin update on June 1st.

Regards,

Kevin
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-05-15T10:46:22Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-05-15T10:32:55Z
    OK, I just checked Preferences\Install/Update\Available Software Sites and the check box for CICS EXplorer was unchecked. Checked that and the update was found. Now, for the PA Plugin update on June 1st.

Regards,

Kevin
    Hi Steve,

When restarting CICS Explorer, I see it prompts for a workspace (like RD/z)...don't remember seeing that before. So, when our IT Support rollout a new version of RD/z very soon...they do it by replacing the hard drive (all data is stored on the server EXCEPT RD/z workspaces and now CICS Explorer workspaces). We store RD/z (and now CICS Explorer) workspaces under a single directory on the C: drive that we have write access to.

What would the procedure be to retain the CICS Explorer workspace for copying back to the "new" harddrive when the new version of RD/z (V8.0.3) is rolled out?

RD/z itself "should" be covered (assuming that it's "pushtoclient' feature works properly) as once we log back on (with RD/z)to the "primary" LPAR, all the preferences and connections should be downloaded to each user.

I put the CICS Explorer in the directory that we have write access to, but I don't see any connections that I had before the update. Can I import these from the c:\documents and settings/logonname/.cicsexplorer?

REgards,

Kevin
  • SteveBolton
    SteveBolton
    18 Posts

‏2012-05-15T11:38:38Z  
    • kevmeist

Regards,

Kevin
    Thanks Kevin, glad to hear it - it should be checked by default.
  • SteveBolton
    SteveBolton
    18 Posts

‏2012-05-15T11:39:15Z  
    • kevmeist

Regards,

Kevin
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-05-15T11:46:00Z  
    Hi Steve,

It may be that I unchecked it some while ago and don't remember that. Maybe Explorer should tell me that the switch is off rather than say "no updates found"? Makes sense to me at least <g>.

Kevin
  • SteveBolton
    SteveBolton
    18 Posts

‏2012-05-15T11:54:28Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-05-15T11:46:00Z
    Hi Steve,

It may be that I unchecked it some while ago and don't remember that. Maybe Explorer should tell me that the switch is off rather than say "no updates found"? Makes sense to me at least <g>.

Kevin
    Yes, a warning would be good wouldn't it? However that function is part of base eclipse so we don't control the way that works :-(
    Steve
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-05-15T12:05:44Z  
    Yes, a warning would be good wouldn't it? However that function is part of base eclipse so we don't control the way that works :-(
    Steve
    OK, but IBM created Eclipse....so that suggestion should still be able to be passed on to whatever group maintains Eclipse, no?

Kevin
  • SteveBolton
    SteveBolton
    18 Posts

‏2012-05-15T12:18:15Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-05-15T10:46:22Z
    Hi Steve,

When restarting CICS Explorer, I see it prompts for a workspace (like RD/z)...don't remember seeing that before. So, when our IT Support rollout a new version of RD/z very soon...they do it by replacing the hard drive (all data is stored on the server EXCEPT RD/z workspaces and now CICS Explorer workspaces). We store RD/z (and now CICS Explorer) workspaces under a single directory on the C: drive that we have write access to.

What would the procedure be to retain the CICS Explorer workspace for copying back to the "new" harddrive when the new version of RD/z (V8.0.3) is rolled out?

RD/z itself "should" be covered (assuming that it's "pushtoclient' feature works properly) as once we log back on (with RD/z)to the "primary" LPAR, all the preferences and connections should be downloaded to each user.

I put the CICS Explorer in the directory that we have write access to, but I don't see any connections that I had before the update. Can I import these from the c:\documents and settings/logonname/.cicsexplorer?

REgards,

Kevin
    Hi Kevin

If the only reason you want to retain the workspace is for the connections, then we have good solutions for that in 1.1.1

You can now set up connections and then use the Host Connections View (accessible from the connections trim widget, or Window->Manage Connections) to export the connections you have set up. The details exported are the host, port and connection type (the credentials - userid and password are not exported).

This can be done by a system administrator. If you use a file name of "connections.pref", and you put this file in the explorer directory then these connections will automatically be loaded for anyone using the explorer.

You can also put "someusefulname.pref" on a network drive or website - you might have different files for different groups of users. Using the Host Connections View a user can load or import one or more files from a network drive or URL. If the connections are loaded then every time explorer is started it will refresh the connections. If you import the connections you are getting a copy that you can change.

Search for connections in the explorer help to read about all of this :-)

The workspace also contains customisation of perspectives. A system administrator can load a new copy of explorer and perform any perspective customisations required and then arrange for a copy of this workspace to be installed for every user. The workspace stores the customisation of perspectives and any local projects in the resource perspective of explorer (bundles, event bindings and so forth), and the encrypted credentials a user may store - so each user needs their own workspace when using the explorer. If you are overwriting that you may wish to provide a write accessible network folder for each user, or just wipe them back to the standard workspace you could copy over when refreshing the workspace with any customisations from the 'standard workspace'. If you are creating resources like bundles then you should check them into a source code repository such as SVN.

You can also use Java Web Start to deliver explorer to windows users, with automatic refresh of the latest version from a web server, but you will still need a writeable workspace. I think Joe may have mentioned that earlier in the thread, I can give you a link to a developerworks article about it if you are interested.

Does that answer your question?
    Cheers, Steve
  • SteveBolton
    SteveBolton
    18 Posts

‏2012-05-15T12:22:27Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-05-15T12:05:44Z
    OK, but IBM created Eclipse....so that suggestion should still be able to be passed on to whatever group maintains Eclipse, no?

Kevin
    IBM contribute to eclipse, but it is now run by eclipse.org - there are forums and a bugzilla database on there that can be used to request things like this.

We have to carefully choose which version of eclipse the Explorer is based upon to ensure that Explorer and the tools based upon it all work correctly together as well as Rational Developer for System/z. The current release is Explorer 3.6.2
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-05-15T12:50:22Z  
    IBM contribute to eclipse, but it is now run by eclipse.org - there are forums and a bugzilla database on there that can be used to request things like this.

We have to carefully choose which version of eclipse the Explorer is based upon to ensure that Explorer and the tools based upon it all work correctly together as well as Rational Developer for System/z. The current release is Explorer 3.6.2
    OK, Bug 379537 filed on eclipse.org.

K
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-05-15T13:30:17Z  
    Hi Kevin

If the only reason you want to retain the workspace is for the connections, then we have good solutions for that in 1.1.1

You can now set up connections and then use the Host Connections View (accessible from the connections trim widget, or Window->Manage Connections) to export the connections you have set up. The details exported are the host, port and connection type (the credentials - userid and password are not exported).

This can be done by a system administrator. If you use a file name of "connections.pref", and you put this file in the explorer directory then these connections will automatically be loaded for anyone using the explorer.

You can also put "someusefulname.pref" on a network drive or website - you might have different files for different groups of users. Using the Host Connections View a user can load or import one or more files from a network drive or URL. If the connections are loaded then every time explorer is started it will refresh the connections. If you import the connections you are getting a copy that you can change.

Search for connections in the explorer help to read about all of this :-)

The workspace also contains customisation of perspectives. A system administrator can load a new copy of explorer and perform any perspective customisations required and then arrange for a copy of this workspace to be installed for every user. The workspace stores the customisation of perspectives and any local projects in the resource perspective of explorer (bundles, event bindings and so forth), and the encrypted credentials a user may store - so each user needs their own workspace when using the explorer. If you are overwriting that you may wish to provide a write accessible network folder for each user, or just wipe them back to the standard workspace you could copy over when refreshing the workspace with any customisations from the 'standard workspace'. If you are creating resources like bundles then you should check them into a source code repository such as SVN.

You can also use Java Web Start to deliver explorer to windows users, with automatic refresh of the latest version from a web server, but you will still need a writeable workspace. I think Joe may have mentioned that earlier in the thread, I can give you a link to a developerworks article about it if you are interested.

Does that answer your question?
    Cheers, Steve
    Hi Steve,

What I was trying to get at was this.....if I copy the standard ".explorer" workspace file (under docs and settings/my logon name) to another directory on the hard drive and then start Explorer again, select the "new" workspace...will that work? Workspace experiments tried with RD/zV7.6.1, in a similar vein, didn't seem to work that way.

Our IT Support folks graciously give us write privileges to a specific directory (and it's subs) on the HD (that's where we keep the RD/z workspaces and would like to keep the Explorer workspaces)...so, when the IT Support folks switch hard drives to put in RD/z V8.0.3, we can have previously copied that workspace to the network and back again to the "new" hard drive in the same directory. Explorer itself is installed on a network directory and everyone pulls Explorer from there.

Connections etc
    The install of the new version (using the standard Explorer workspace) kept all my connections and view customization as far as I can tell so far. So, I will try copying the standard workspace to the directory that we are given to use and try starting Explorer from there.

Regards,

Kevin
  • SteveBolton
    SteveBolton
    18 Posts

‏2012-05-15T14:48:36Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-05-15T13:30:17Z
    Hi Steve,

What I was trying to get at was this.....if I copy the standard ".explorer" workspace file (under docs and settings/my logon name) to another directory on the hard drive and then start Explorer again, select the "new" workspace...will that work? Workspace experiments tried with RD/zV7.6.1, in a similar vein, didn't seem to work that way.

Our IT Support folks graciously give us write privileges to a specific directory (and it's subs) on the HD (that's where we keep the RD/z workspaces and would like to keep the Explorer workspaces)...so, when the IT Support folks switch hard drives to put in RD/z V8.0.3, we can have previously copied that workspace to the network and back again to the "new" hard drive in the same directory. Explorer itself is installed on a network directory and everyone pulls Explorer from there.

Connections etc
    The install of the new version (using the standard Explorer workspace) kept all my connections and view customization as far as I can tell so far. So, I will try copying the standard workspace to the directory that we are given to use and try starting Explorer from there.

Regards,

Kevin
    You should be able to move or copy a workspace anywhere and if you point to that workspace copy using the Workspace Launcher dialog then it will pick up everything from that workspace. Unlike windows registry there is no other location where the configuration is kept.

If you enter a name of a workspace that doesn't exist you get a fresh one created with defaults (and you will see the welcome to CICS explorer page first).

You can maintain several with different preferences and views, column layouts etc then switch between them using File->Switch Workspace (which also gets the dialog back if you checked the "use this as the default and do not ask again" box
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-05-15T18:21:56Z  
    You should be able to move or copy a workspace anywhere and if you point to that workspace copy using the Workspace Launcher dialog then it will pick up everything from that workspace. Unlike windows registry there is no other location where the configuration is kept.

If you enter a name of a workspace that doesn't exist you get a fresh one created with defaults (and you will see the welcome to CICS explorer page first).

You can maintain several with different preferences and views, column layouts etc then switch between them using File->Switch Workspace (which also gets the dialog back if you checked the "use this as the default and do not ask again" box
    Hi Steve,

OK, did that workspace copy. Seemed to work OK when I restarted Explorer again. I never got that to work with RD/z V7.6.1. Maybe when V8.0.3 goes in, I'll try that again.

Thanks again,

Kevin
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-05-15T18:43:47Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-05-15T18:21:56Z
    Hi Steve,

OK, did that workspace copy. Seemed to work OK when I restarted Explorer again. I never got that to work with RD/z V7.6.1. Maybe when V8.0.3 goes in, I'll try that again.

Thanks again,

Kevin
    I have attached a screenshot of the Available Software Sites from CICS Explorer V1.1.1. Are both of the Explorer sites needed or can I remove one of them?

Thanks,

K
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    270 Posts

‏2012-05-16T07:38:11Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-05-15T18:43:47Z
    I have attached a screenshot of the Available Software Sites from CICS Explorer V1.1.1. Are both of the Explorer sites needed or can I remove one of them?

Thanks,

K
    Got to confess I can't see any attachments... Perhaps you could post the URLs in plaintext?
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-05-16T10:09:01Z  
    Got to confess I can't see any attachments... Perhaps you could post the URLs in plaintext?
    oops...My bad. the Word document is attached now.

Regards,

K
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-05-16T10:13:48Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-05-16T10:09:01Z
    oops...My bad. the Word document is attached now.

Regards,

K
    Well, I did attach it this time, but don't see it when I look again. Maybe it wasn't my bad the first time. Text URLs below:

IBM CICS Explorer Update Site http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/htp/cics/updates/explorer/1.1/latest/ Enabled

IBM CICS Explorer Update Site http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/htp/cics/updates/explorer/1.1/1.1.1/ Enabled

Regards,

Kevin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    270 Posts

‏2012-05-16T12:21:32Z  
    • kevmeist
    • ‏2012-05-16T10:13:48Z
    Well, I did attach it this time, but don't see it when I look again. Maybe it wasn't my bad the first time. Text URLs below:

IBM CICS Explorer Update Site http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/htp/cics/updates/explorer/1.1/latest/ Enabled

IBM CICS Explorer Update Site http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/htp/cics/updates/explorer/1.1/1.1.1/ Enabled

Regards,

Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

Those two URLs actually resolve to the same version right now (the latest 1.1.1 release).

There are a couple of differences in the URL:
    1) We have been asked to change to use public.dhe.ibm.com - this has exactly the same contents as the previous download.boulder.ibm.com site.
    2) We decided that actually users who install Explorer 1.1.1 fresh should not automatically upgrade to, for instance, 1.1.2, if such a version was ever released, so we have adjusted the URL to be more specific for brand new users.

I would say that you are safe to leave both URLs if you like. The download.boulder.ibm.com URL would give you updates to new modification levels (v.r.m.f) whereas the other URL would keep you at a constant modification level so you might want to junk one or other of the URLs based on that.

Thanks,

Dave
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts

‏2012-05-16T12:40:13Z  
    Hi Kevin,

Those two URLs actually resolve to the same version right now (the latest 1.1.1 release).

There are a couple of differences in the URL:
    1) We have been asked to change to use public.dhe.ibm.com - this has exactly the same contents as the previous download.boulder.ibm.com site.
    2) We decided that actually users who install Explorer 1.1.1 fresh should not automatically upgrade to, for instance, 1.1.2, if such a version was ever released, so we have adjusted the URL to be more specific for brand new users.

I would say that you are safe to leave both URLs if you like. The download.boulder.ibm.com URL would give you updates to new modification levels (v.r.m.f) whereas the other URL would keep you at a constant modification level so you might want to junk one or other of the URLs based on that.

Thanks,

Dave
    Thanks for the prompt reply Dave.

So, I think, in my case, I can leave both in although I am not sure I understand the rationalization that you made for "new users".

I do like the "Connections" tab in the new Explorer. I also notice that in the CICSPlex Explorer tab, that Explorer must be picking up more topology data from the CICSPlex as I now see expandable (the + sign) on what we have defined as AOR Type 1, Type 2 etc). This is particularly useful to us. In our case, all transactions come into Type1 AORs, Type 2 is used for Secondary Units or Work etc, etc). It's nice to be able to select based on that topology definition.

Regards,

Kevin