• 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-04-25T13:46:18Z by NickSPB
NickSPB
NickSPB
6 Posts

Pinned topic Start centers totally missed after installation

‏2012-04-24T13:24:13Z |
Hi all!
I'm a newbie in Maximo. I had installed Maximo Asset Managemnt 7.5 on RedHat Linux.
The problem is Nothing Start center for any users, including MAXADMIN.

What is a possible reason for this issue? What should I do for resolving it?
Thank you.
Regards,
Nikolay
Updated on 2012-04-25T13:46:18Z at 2012-04-25T13:46:18Z by NickSPB
  • NickSPB
    NickSPB
    6 Posts

Re: Start centers totally missed after installation

‏2012-04-24T13:35:50Z  
    Problem message from screen is:

You do not have any Start Centers configured. Please contact your system administrator.
  • ChristaBarker
    ChristaBarker
    19 Posts

‏2012-04-24T14:16:33Z  
    Hi,
    You can see what security privileges you currently have by looking at the Security Profile tab in the Users application.

You can get this error message when the user's security group doesn't have a start center configured. You can go to the Security Groups application, and create security groups and appropriate privileges to Applications there, such as StartCenter, etc. You can assign whatever users you want to any particular security group.

Hope that helps.
    Christa
  • NickSPB
    NickSPB
    6 Posts

‏2012-04-24T14:49:08Z  
    Hi,
    You can see what security privileges you currently have by looking at the Security Profile tab in the Users application.

You can get this error message when the user's security group doesn't have a start center configured. You can go to the Security Groups application, and create security groups and appropriate privileges to Applications there, such as StartCenter, etc. You can assign whatever users you want to any particular security group.

Hope that helps.
    Christa
    Thank you, Christa for reply

The problem is with MAXADMIN user and group. Its has appropriated security privileges for Start Center, but AFAIK Start center is absent (
  • Bowser
    Bowser
    81 Posts

‏2012-04-24T19:24:58Z  
    • NickSPB
    • ‏2012-04-24T14:49:08Z
    Thank you, Christa for reply

The problem is with MAXADMIN user and group. Its has appropriated security privileges for Start Center, but AFAIK Start center is absent (
    It sounds like you did a "blank" install of the database, in which case this is normal: you are supposed to supply the start centers -- and, if memory serves, grant yourself permission to create them.

If you were to do a "maxdemo" install, the demo data would include some start centers. However, these would be for demonstration purposes only; they are unlikely to fit your business needs.

It sounds like you could use some training. If you review the profiles of users you respect on this forum, I'm sure you can find some who offer such training or who work for companies that do.

Bowser.
  • NickSPB
    NickSPB
    6 Posts

‏2012-04-25T07:17:36Z  
    • Bowser
    • ‏2012-04-24T19:24:58Z
    It sounds like you did a "blank" install of the database, in which case this is normal: you are supposed to supply the start centers -- and, if memory serves, grant yourself permission to create them.

If you were to do a "maxdemo" install, the demo data would include some start centers. However, these would be for demonstration purposes only; they are unlikely to fit your business needs.

It sounds like you could use some training. If you review the profiles of users you respect on this forum, I'm sure you can find some who offer such training or who work for companies that do.

Bowser.
    Thank you for response, Bowser

I checked installation log according manual.
    There is message
    CTGIN2079I: Process automation engine database configuration completed successfully.
    presented.

So I suppose that installation (including DB) full completed. Is additional steps for DB population needed?

Yes, I am new in Maximo area. I work some years with other Tivoli products, like IBM Tivoli Monitoring and Netcool family.
    Regards,
    Nikolay
  • NickSPB
    NickSPB
    6 Posts

‏2012-04-25T07:31:42Z  
    • NickSPB
    • ‏2012-04-25T07:17:36Z
    Thank you for response, Bowser

I checked installation log according manual.
    There is message
    CTGIN2079I: Process automation engine database configuration completed successfully.
    presented.

So I suppose that installation (including DB) full completed. Is additional steps for DB population needed?

Yes, I am new in Maximo area. I work some years with other Tivoli products, like IBM Tivoli Monitoring and Netcool family.
    Regards,
    Nikolay
    I checked maxinst log file on administrative workstation

It ended "BMXAA6820I - Maxinst completed without errors. Thu Apr 19 14:55:24 MSD 2012"

Maxinst creates "blank database" only?

Is additional population steps needed?

Regards,
    Nikolay
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2012-04-25T10:58:04Z  
    • NickSPB
    • ‏2012-04-25T07:31:42Z
    I checked maxinst log file on administrative workstation

It ended "BMXAA6820I - Maxinst completed without errors. Thu Apr 19 14:55:24 MSD 2012"

Maxinst creates "blank database" only?

Is additional population steps needed?

Regards,
    Nikolay
    Hello!

Bowser is correct in his statements about the differences between a MAXDEMO based environment and the MAXIMO based environment which is what the product installer will provide you with by default.

The message "Maxinst completed without errors." states that your server is ready for operation but you will not have any Start Center's defined by default which is the expected behavior.

The MAXDEMO based "demonstration" mode involves a different maxinst procedure to instruct the installation routine to use a different metadata catalog than what the product installer uses by default.

Most customers would not want the MAXDEMO as it contains sample users, table data, customized screens, etc that would not be applicable for your own usage.

Hope this helps,
    Richard
  • NickSPB
    NickSPB
    6 Posts

‏2012-04-25T13:46:18Z  
    Hello!

Bowser is correct in his statements about the differences between a MAXDEMO based environment and the MAXIMO based environment which is what the product installer will provide you with by default.

The message "Maxinst completed without errors." states that your server is ready for operation but you will not have any Start Center's defined by default which is the expected behavior.

The MAXDEMO based "demonstration" mode involves a different maxinst procedure to instruct the installation routine to use a different metadata catalog than what the product installer uses by default.

Most customers would not want the MAXDEMO as it contains sample users, table data, customized screens, etc that would not be applicable for your own usage.

Hope this helps,
    Richard
    I installed MAXDEMO DB according installation manual without errors.
    But new problem occured. (
    I can not log in to Web interface. Nothing of users MAXADMIN, MXINTADM, MAXREG does work.
    Is MAXDEMO installation reset users or its passwords?

What is default for users credentials for MAXDEMO DB?

Thank you for suggestions

Regards,
    Nikolay