Topic
  • 58 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2015-01-12T13:00:24Z by boyerpl
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
849 Posts

Pinned topic RAA for System z - General Questions

‏2012-04-24T06:13:16Z |
I have few questions on the product, RAA for System z.

• Can Endeavor be configured with RAA for scanning the resources? If this is not possible, how can we setup the scan in z/OS without the Endeavor integration?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Updated on 2013-04-05T21:34:49Z at 2013-04-05T21:34:49Z by SystemAdmin
  • jocaseyibm
    jocaseyibm
    48 Posts

Re: RAA for System z - General Questions

‏2012-04-24T13:37:55Z  
    Yes, RAA can be configured to access Endeavor. See the chap 3, section, Configuring source code management systems, of the manual: IBM Rational Asset Analyzer V6.0 Installation Guide for System z which can be found at: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/awdtools/raa/library/.
    Alternatively, you can choose to access Endeavor independently of RAA in order to prepare a set of PDS's which would hold the specific versions of source code that you want RAA to scan using its native PDS support.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2012-04-24T14:34:18Z  
    Also see "Accessing CA Endevor Software Change Manager files with RAA for z/OS" at:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14805404&#14805404
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2012-04-26T06:28:31Z  
    Also see "Accessing CA Endevor Software Change Manager files with RAA for z/OS" at:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14805404&#14805404
    Thanks jocaseyibm, and Thanks Joan Look. I appreciate your help.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2012-06-20T10:40:13Z  
    Another question around this RAA for system z.

Can we load the inventory of distributed applications too with this product (RAA for System z)?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2012-06-20T11:22:27Z  
    Another question around this RAA for system z.

Can we load the inventory of distributed applications too with this product (RAA for System z)?
    Yes, it can be done by using the 'collect Inventory" wizard.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2012-06-26T21:27:58Z  
    Yes, it can be done by using the 'collect Inventory" wizard.
    ... with a clarification: it takes some setup because the distributed scanning must happen on a workstation where you install RAA scanner component (available for RAAz) with remote connection to the z/OS RAA instance.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2012-10-18T14:19:58Z  
    ... with a clarification: it takes some setup because the distributed scanning must happen on a workstation where you install RAA scanner component (available for RAAz) with remote connection to the z/OS RAA instance.
    May be a simple question.
    I know that RAA gives the Cyclomatic complexity for the Cobol programs. Does it also give it for PL/1 and distributed assets as well?
  • jcdelmo
    jcdelmo
    345 Posts

‏2012-10-18T14:31:27Z  
    May be a simple question.
    I know that RAA gives the Cyclomatic complexity for the Cobol programs. Does it also give it for PL/1 and distributed assets as well?
    The complexity metric is only calculated for COBOL programs.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2012-12-05T08:54:01Z  
    • jcdelmo
    • ‏2012-10-18T14:31:27Z
    The complexity metric is only calculated for COBOL programs.
    Is this complexity inclusive of the procedural copybooks (if any, referred)?
  • jcdelmo
    jcdelmo
    345 Posts

‏2012-12-05T15:31:49Z  
    Is this complexity inclusive of the procedural copybooks (if any, referred)?
    Yes, the complexity is calculated on the fully expanded program source.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2012-12-13T20:19:47Z  
    A query

Can I load more than one Mainframe Application within single RAA instance? Both applications will be independent and any impact analysis done on one application should not parse into another. I noticed that creating different sites in RAA also did not help. Please advice on this.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2012-12-14T21:22:18Z  
    A query

Can I load more than one Mainframe Application within single RAA instance? Both applications will be independent and any impact analysis done on one application should not parse into another. I noticed that creating different sites in RAA also did not help. Please advice on this.
    Any answer/solution to my query please?
  • jcdelmo
    jcdelmo
    345 Posts

‏2012-12-14T21:33:45Z  
    A query

1) You can load more than one application in a single RAA instance.

2) The SITE asset groups physically related assets and owns BATCH JOBs, CONTAINERs, DATA SETs, DB2 SUBSYSTEMs, IMS REGIONs and RUN UNITs.

3) Can you give me an example of where the Impact Analysis functionality on a given SITE asset is showing impact in the other SITE's assets?

4) The UI reporting when multiple SITEs are used will require you to use the Advance Search function to filter one SITE from another.

5) Clients that want to segregate assets, without the current requirement for always using Advanced Search, install two instances of RAA.

6) NOTE: RAA does not support versions of the same application within a given instance.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2013-02-07T19:39:40Z  
    Another query on RAA for System Z.

Is there any JCL provided to perform re-scanning of assets after a production release for a Mainframe application? About 20% of components are impacted in each of our production release. I am formalating a plan to get it re-scanned by RAA after each release. Please advise.
  • jcdelmo
    jcdelmo
    345 Posts

‏2013-02-07T21:06:50Z  
    Another query on RAA for System Z.

Is there any JCL provided to perform re-scanning of assets after a production release for a Mainframe application? About 20% of components are impacted in each of our production release. I am formalating a plan to get it re-scanned by RAA after each release. Please advise.
    On z/OS there are two batch jobs samples provided in the <installDir>/SDMHSCNTL PDS which assist in automating the rescanning of files. The jobs are DMHJCLBU (Run Batch Update) and DMHJCLQU (Run Analysis Queue).

The first job is used to submit new, changed or deleted file names (via a predefined request - see doc in the JCL sample) to RAA. It will take these requests and put them into its analysis queue.

The second job is used to start the analysis queue, which will process the requests -- rescan the files refreshing their meta-data.

The design is to have a client have their standard process for promoting files inform RAA that some file has changed.

Some clients run Batch Update hourly or daily -- and run the analysis queue daily or weekly.

Is this what you had in mind?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2013-02-08T15:52:03Z  
    • jcdelmo
    • ‏2013-02-07T21:06:50Z
    On z/OS there are two batch jobs samples provided in the <installDir>/SDMHSCNTL PDS which assist in automating the rescanning of files. The jobs are DMHJCLBU (Run Batch Update) and DMHJCLQU (Run Analysis Queue).

The first job is used to submit new, changed or deleted file names (via a predefined request - see doc in the JCL sample) to RAA. It will take these requests and put them into its analysis queue.

The second job is used to start the analysis queue, which will process the requests -- rescan the files refreshing their meta-data.

The design is to have a client have their standard process for promoting files inform RAA that some file has changed.

Some clients run Batch Update hourly or daily -- and run the analysis queue daily or weekly.

Is this what you had in mind?
    This is exactly of what I was looking for. Thanks a lot jcdelmo. I will come back here if I have any more question on this.

Different query.

We have an issue with another installation of RAA for System Z. When I try to do Collect inventory. I get the following error. What could be the probable issue? I use Database->Collect Inventory->MVS Default Catalog and selected Next.

DMH5105E: Unexpected exception in com.ibm.dmh.util.DmhRemoteRequest: java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 500 for URL: http://firdcip:8100/dmh-cgi/dmhremotefunctions.rexx
  • jcdelmo
    jcdelmo
    345 Posts

‏2013-02-08T16:26:36Z  
    This is exactly of what I was looking for. Thanks a lot jcdelmo. I will come back here if I have any more question on this.

Different query.

We have an issue with another installation of RAA for System Z. When I try to do Collect inventory. I get the following error. What could be the probable issue? I use Database->Collect Inventory->MVS Default Catalog and selected Next.

DMH5105E: Unexpected exception in com.ibm.dmh.util.DmhRemoteRequest: java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 500 for URL: http://firdcip:8100/dmh-cgi/dmhremotefunctions.rexx
    Can not tell from the HTTP 500 message -- but if you look in the \log directories you will find more detail. From that, we may be able to figure it out.

Please raise the issue with RAA's Level 2 support.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2013-02-08T16:57:25Z  
    • jcdelmo
    • ‏2013-02-08T16:26:36Z
    Can not tell from the HTTP 500 message -- but if you look in the \log directories you will find more detail. From that, we may be able to figure it out.

Please raise the issue with RAA's Level 2 support.
    Thanks jcdelmo.

We will do that.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2013-02-13T15:59:46Z  
    One quick question may be not specific to z/OS version.

Can we load multiple versions of same copybook with same name into RAA under different logical applications in RAA? Will it pose any conflict?
  • jcdelmo
    jcdelmo
    345 Posts

‏2013-02-13T16:35:28Z  
    One quick question may be not specific to z/OS version.

Can we load multiple versions of same copybook with same name into RAA under different logical applications in RAA? Will it pose any conflict?
    The full qualification of a copybook is SITE - CONTAINER - FILE.

Therefore, in order to load 'multiple versions' one would have to load the copybook under different SITEs and/or different CONTAINERs.

Whether or not the FILE gets associated with an APPLICATION has nothing to do with its uniqueness.

Does that help?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2013-02-13T16:39:01Z  
    • jcdelmo
    • ‏2013-02-13T16:35:28Z
    The full qualification of a copybook is SITE - CONTAINER - FILE.

Therefore, in order to load 'multiple versions' one would have to load the copybook under different SITEs and/or different CONTAINERs.

Whether or not the FILE gets associated with an APPLICATION has nothing to do with its uniqueness.

Does that help?
    Thanks.
    Does it make sense to load multiple copybook versions (with same name) in the same site but with different containers?
  • jcdelmo
    jcdelmo
    345 Posts

‏2013-02-13T16:51:30Z  
    Thanks.
    Does it make sense to load multiple copybook versions (with same name) in the same site but with different containers?
    Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. The current release of RAA (and all prior ones) does not support versions of assets. Loading multiple versions of a copybook, makes me believe you will want to load multiple versions of programs (that use those copybooks). If that is the case, you will have issue resolving RUN UNIT assets (the CALLing hierarchy of programs).

So I would really need to know the scenario you are trying to support to decide if it 'makes sense'.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2013-02-13T16:54:16Z  
    Different question.

We have lot of home written stuffs in the COBOL programs for which RAA may not be able to resolve during the scanning. We use a translation (pre-processing) step in the compilation using Endevor. What would be the best way to load these programs into RAA? I am thinking about pre-processing these programs in separate PDSs and then load to RAA. Is there a better way or to modify the scanning process in RAA to include this Translation (pre-processing) step?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    849 Posts

‏2013-02-13T16:57:26Z  
    • jcdelmo
    • ‏2013-02-13T16:51:30Z
    Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. The current release of RAA (and all prior ones) does not support versions of assets. Loading multiple versions of a copybook, makes me believe you will want to load multiple versions of programs (that use those copybooks). If that is the case, you will have issue resolving RUN UNIT assets (the CALLing hierarchy of programs).

So I would really need to know the scenario you are trying to support to decide if it 'makes sense'.
    Ok. I will put the scenario clearly on the multiple control version thing.

I would have,
    Single version of programs,
    Single version of copybooks
    Single version of Procs
    Single version of JCLs
    Multiple version of Control cards.