12 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-09-24T02:16:46Z by Guy Kempny
ajaynp
ajaynp
6 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IBM Balde Centre S not able to update Hard dirve frimware

‏2012-04-22T05:26:23Z |
hi

i have problem with IBM Blade Center S 8886-1TG.I am not able to upgrade firmware of Hard disk drives. we are using 600 GB and 2 TB SAS drives. (FRU :42D0767). 2 TB HDD shows drive is unsupported. i have already upgrade SAS module and raid controller with firmware bundle but Hard Disk firmware is not update. Any body knows how to update Hard drive firmware.
Updated on 2012-04-24T06:21:21Z at 2012-04-24T06:21:21Z by svli
  • svli
    svli
    12 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IBM Balde Centre S not able to update Hard dirve frimware

‏2012-04-23T06:35:33Z  in response to ajaynp
    Hi,

how did you perform the updates? We had the same problem some months ago, we could solve the problem while perform the updates over python update package.

Maybe you have to update to some older fimraware packages, before using the actual one. Depends on the revision you have still installed.

Greetz Sven.
  • ajaynp
    ajaynp
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-23T08:53:15Z  in response to ajaynp
    hi

i have updated lastest package
    bm_fw_bcsw_s0cl-1.2.3.006_anyos_noarch_scm (41.08 MB)
    IBM BladeCenter S SAS RAID Module Firmware Update Package . But not through python update. could you please tell us how to upgrade the HDD firmware with python update.
    • svli
      svli
      12 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-23T09:06:17Z  in response to ajaynp
      Hi,

the tutorial to update per python is found under following link:
      http://delivery04.dhe.ibm.com/sar/CMA/XSA/02xyb/0/ibm_fw_bcsw_s0cl-1.2.3.006_windows_noarch.txt

Depending on your OS you have to use the ibm_fw_bcsw_s0cl-1.2.3.006_windows_noarch/ibm_fw_bcsw_s0cl-1.2.3.006_linux_noarch firmware package.

By the way, you have used the storage manager firmware package. I recommend to not use the storage manager! We had cases where customers create arrays and volumes over the scm which were shown as good and mapped in the scm but the servers couldn't use them. The result was that we looked over the SAS RAID Module CLI and the created arrays weren't configured at all. The scm is really buggy in my eyes and I only use the CLI to configure and maintein the chassis s storage.

Greetz Sven.
  • ajaynp
    ajaynp
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-23T09:28:17Z  in response to ajaynp
    thanks for giving the information. i have one more question for updating the HDD firmware the controller should be in svervice mode or online.?
    • svli
      svli
      12 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-23T09:38:19Z  in response to ajaynp
      Both controller have to be in the service mode.

shutdown -service -state servicemode

you have to put this command on one of the controller. You can verify the state with "list controller".

By the way, make sure that the Blade Server doesn't access the storage during the update. The best way ist to shut them down.

Greetz Sven
  • ajaynp
    ajaynp
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-24T05:05:48Z  in response to ajaynp
    The Command Line Firmware Update should be run in a "serial" mode when running
    from Windows. what does it mean? do we need to use serail cable for firmware update?
    • svli
      svli
      12 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-24T05:56:07Z  in response to ajaynp
      Hi,

no you do not need a serial cable. I have made the best experiences with an computer which has installed python in the same subnet as the controller. Then you have to start the updates in the cli of your os (terminal / cmd).

In MS Windows:
      Change in the directory where you store the update package and type following command:
      ibm_fw_bcsw_s0cl-N.N.N.NNN_windows_noarch.bat -i IP of primary raid controller -n -passwd password of raid controller -sas_p1 IP of sas switch bay 3 -sas_p2 IP of sas switch bay 4 -ftx_pwd AMM password

Look that the folder name where the update package is stored has no spaces.

Greetz Sven
  • ajaynp
    ajaynp
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-24T06:08:30Z  in response to ajaynp
    hi Greetz

we are sussfully updated the Hard Drive firmware using python update. Thank you very much for the information.

Regards
    Ajay
    • svli
      svli
      12 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-24T06:21:21Z  in response to ajaynp
      Hi,

you are welcome. Have fun with your chassis s ;)

Greetz Sven
  • MrkDodd
    MrkDodd
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-29T13:13:54Z  in response to ajaynp

Kind Sven,

I have a question for you: I've just added one more HDD to our IBM Blade Center S that is totally upgraded with latest Firmwares (Controller, Switches, AMM and so on). Obviously, the new disk has a older firmware revision and I need to upgrade it to mount HDD with others inside production Storage Pools. Is there an option inside CLI console (phyton Mode) to perform a single disk firmware upgrade? Or have I to perform the whole Controller RAID upgrade again?

Thanks in advance,

Marco

• Josh_Corder
      Josh_Corder
      94 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-08-29T14:02:08Z  in response to MrkDodd

The only way I know to do this is by running the full firmware upgrade.  You may try to assign the drive to a blade (without adding it to a RAID pool) and upgrading it from within the operating system running on the blade.  I have done this before with some success.  

• Guy Kempny
      Guy Kempny
      18 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-24T02:16:46Z  in response to MrkDodd

Josh is correct. The way the HDD is configured dictates the manner in which you do the firmware update. So:

1. If its part of a pool and/or volume, you have to do the upgrade via the HDD controller method. As you have the SAS RAID controllers, you have to run the complete upgrade process.

2. If the new HDD is assigned exclusively to a blade, you can do it within the blade OS environment.

I have done this using the SAS connectivity module but cannot remember if I have dont it with the SAS RAID Controller module. This is how I would approach it though.

A shameless plug for the latest redbook on the bladecenter S has a section on HDD firmware upgrading. It can be sourced here:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/abstracts/sg247682.html?Open