• 11 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-04-28T17:35:26Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1086 Posts

Pinned topic no context meny "set as entry point"

‏2012-04-19T18:38:28Z |
Dear RDz-Guru,
I'm new to RDz and have less experience with System z. Now I would like to do the Tutorial "Running a simple COBOL application on a remote system" with RDz 7.6. I have done up to Step 10. "Add the partitioned data set you allocated earlier to the RemoteCOBOLSample subproject." At Step 11 "Build the RemoteCOBOLSample subproject, using STARTAPP.cbl as the entry point." I can't do "Right-click that file and click Nominate as Entry Point." because there is no such entry in the context menu.

The connection is working and I can run another simple Cobol that was created via ispf.

Could you please teach me how to finish this tutorial?
kind regards
Andreas Gronert
Updated on 2012-04-28T17:35:26Z at 2012-04-28T17:35:26Z by SystemAdmin
  • akkina9
    akkina9
    124 Posts

Re: no context meny "set as entry point"

‏2012-04-20T16:33:37Z  
    Instead of adding the whole partitioned data set to the subproject, can you try adding just the data set member (STARTAPP.cbl) to the subproject and then nominate it as entry point?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1086 Posts

‏2012-04-21T07:55:24Z  
    Hello Mahendra,
    thanks for your answer. Whenn following your advice and adding just the data set member (STARTAPP.cbl), there still is no context menu "nominate as entry point". Do you have any other hints?
    Kind regards
    Andreas Gronert
  • akkina9
    akkina9
    124 Posts

‏2012-04-23T19:30:28Z  
    Hello Mahendra,
    thanks for your answer. Whenn following your advice and adding just the data set member (STARTAPP.cbl), there still is no context menu "nominate as entry point". Do you have any other hints?
    Kind regards
    Andreas Gronert
    Are you shell sharing RDz 761 with any other products? i.e. if you installed any other product(s) such as RAD in the same install location as RDz.
  • akkina9
    akkina9
    124 Posts

‏2012-04-23T21:11:19Z  
    • akkina9
    • ‏2012-04-23T19:30:28Z
    Are you shell sharing RDz 761 with any other products? i.e. if you installed any other product(s) such as RAD in the same install location as RDz.
    Also, can you attach the .log file after you right click on the COBOL member in the subproject? You can find it at workspace location\.metadata\.log
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1086 Posts

‏2012-04-24T18:24:42Z  
    • akkina9
    • ‏2012-04-23T21:11:19Z
    Also, can you attach the .log file after you right click on the COBOL member in the subproject? You can find it at workspace location\.metadata\.log
    Hello Mahendra,
    RDz 7.6.2.3 is the only product in this group but at the same system within other groups are installed RBD7.1, RBD8, RDz 7.5, RDz8 and RBD8/RDz8

I will upload .log with this messages.
    kind regards
    Andreas Gronert

Attachments

• akkina9
    akkina9
    124 Posts

‏2012-04-24T22:56:49Z  
    Hello Mahendra,
    RDz 7.6.2.3 is the only product in this group but at the same system within other groups are installed RBD7.1, RBD8, RDz 7.5, RDz8 and RBD8/RDz8

I will upload .log with this messages.
    kind regards
    Andreas Gronert
    I am short of ideas. For now, can you try it out w/o nominating the member as an entry point?. This should work as long as there is only one member in the sub-project.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1086 Posts

‏2012-04-25T17:57:12Z  
    • akkina9
    • ‏2012-04-24T22:56:49Z
    I am short of ideas. For now, can you try it out w/o nominating the member as an entry point?. This should work as long as there is only one member in the sub-project.
    Hello Mahendra,
    thanks again. Each suggestion is welcome, even if we need to do some more attempts. Now I have only one Cobol program, which is running via ISPF in another dataset.

Yet I have copied it from there to my project data set and added to the remote project like described within the tutorial. But when dooing "Rebuild Subproject" no executable is created in the data set specified within the property group. But no error message comes up within the Remote Error List as well.

Could you please discuss with your experts what could be the reason? I'm assuming any problem with the property group. Therefore I have exported and appended it.
    kind regards
    Andreas Gronert
  • akkina9
    akkina9
    124 Posts

‏2012-04-25T19:23:11Z  
    Hello Mahendra,
    thanks again. Each suggestion is welcome, even if we need to do some more attempts. Now I have only one Cobol program, which is running via ISPF in another dataset.

Yet I have copied it from there to my project data set and added to the remote project like described within the tutorial. But when dooing "Rebuild Subproject" no executable is created in the data set specified within the property group. But no error message comes up within the Remote Error List as well.

Could you please discuss with your experts what could be the reason? I'm assuming any problem with the property group. Therefore I have exported and appended it.
    kind regards
    Andreas Gronert
    When you build a subproject, we generate and submit the JCL under the covers. In the property group link section, I see that Load module location is set to "<HLQ>.LOAD", can make sure GRONERT.LOAD is available? (I am assuming your HLQ is GRONERT).

Also, take a look at the the JOB that results from submitting the JCL, there see if there are any JCL errors. You can look for the latest one under JES-> My Jobs under the z/OS connection. You can right mouse click on My Jobs and select Show in Table, to see the quick summary of the job.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1086 Posts

‏2012-04-26T17:34:37Z  
    • akkina9
    • ‏2012-04-25T19:23:11Z
    When you build a subproject, we generate and submit the JCL under the covers. In the property group link section, I see that Load module location is set to "<HLQ>.LOAD", can make sure GRONERT.LOAD is available? (I am assuming your HLQ is GRONERT).

Also, take a look at the the JOB that results from submitting the JCL, there see if there are any JCL errors. You can look for the latest one under JES-> My Jobs under the z/OS connection. You can right mouse click on My Jobs and select Show in Table, to see the quick summary of the job.
    Hello Mahendra,
    thanks once more for your patience. I have changed link section and will load up the new property group. The data set GRONERT.TUT.TMP is existing and "Check Data Set" says "All validated data sets exist".

When rebuilding subproject via context menu, no new job will be submitted. For beeing sure, I have purged all jobs before rebuilding the project, but afterwards there is only an empty list. When submitting another JCL, located in another data set, a new job will be shown.

Would you please again check the property group, if you find another possible reason for this?
    kind regards
    Andreas Gronert
  • akkina9
    akkina9
    124 Posts

‏2012-04-27T21:42:31Z  
    Hello Mahendra,
    thanks once more for your patience. I have changed link section and will load up the new property group. The data set GRONERT.TUT.TMP is existing and "Check Data Set" says "All validated data sets exist".

When rebuilding subproject via context menu, no new job will be submitted. For beeing sure, I have purged all jobs before rebuilding the project, but afterwards there is only an empty list. When submitting another JCL, located in another data set, a new job will be shown.

Would you please again check the property group, if you find another possible reason for this?
    kind regards
    Andreas Gronert
    Job never getting kicked off sounds like a bug. Can you open a PMR to get this addressed?

If you get a chance, can you try out the following:
    • Try generate JCL for compile on one of the source programs (from the context menu), submit it and confirm that you do see the job?
    • Try Rebuilding of Subproject with a new workspace and see if that makes any difference.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1086 Posts

‏2012-04-28T17:35:26Z  
    • akkina9
    • ‏2012-04-27T21:42:31Z
    Job never getting kicked off sounds like a bug. Can you open a PMR to get this addressed?

If you get a chance, can you try out the following:
    • Try generate JCL for compile on one of the source programs (from the context menu), submit it and confirm that you do see the job?
    • Try Rebuilding of Subproject with a new workspace and see if that makes any difference.
    Hello,
    for all who are reading this thread now or later to search for a solution for same problem.

When dooing the tutorial "Running a simple COBOL application on a remote system" and no context menu "nominate as entry point" is available, check the properties of the remote data set for the Cobol source. There, under Mapping, should be specified an extension, e.g. cbl. The option "Inherit from system mapping (undefined)" is valid only if such system mapping is specified.

You also can check if the Cobol sources within the subproject have any extension. If not, "nominate as entry point" is not in context menu and you need to specify the extension mapping of the remote data set for the Cobol source.

Thanks for you suggestions Mehendra.
    Kind regards
    Andres Gronert