Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
18 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-05-02T12:29:23Z by hockeyman
hockeyman
hockeyman
10 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Publishing models to the web - including the assigned TERMS ?

‏2012-04-16T18:36:56Z |
Hi,

It seems fairly easy to publish your models to the web (nice feature).

However, any of my assigned BG terms are not getting published.

Is there a way to do this ?

Regards,

Russ.
Updated on 2012-05-02T12:29:23Z at 2012-05-02T12:29:23Z by hockeyman
  • BennysScreen
    BennysScreen
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Publishing models to the web - including the assigned TERMS ?

‏2012-04-17T08:11:57Z  in response to hockeyman
    Is your issues as follows
    You publish an IDA data model to information server
    The links between the model elements and terms do not get published?

Are the links between NDM words and model elements or between BG Terms and model elements?

The best method is to be sure the links are between BG Terms and model elements, there is tool to help u convert the links if neccarsary

Then after you upload the model upload the links using a seprate UI menu item, see the screen shot that shows you this menu item
    • hockeyman
      hockeyman
      10 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-17T10:29:50Z  in response to BennysScreen
      I am not referring to 'publish' (exporting) to the Metadata repository.

I am talking about publishing to the web feature.

When you run this feature it generates your logical model into html format but seems to not include the assigned terms?

Russ.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        374 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-17T13:22:12Z  in response to hockeyman
        I did some custom BIRT reporting to solve the problem.
        Beware that we are reading from the BG plugin cache but it works like a charm.

Have fun and repost any improvements you make,

Jan Henderyckx
        • hockeyman
          hockeyman
          10 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-20T10:27:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          I am unable to run your report because I am missing the following:

Cannot open the connection for the driver: com.ibm.datatools.publish.core.

Can you describe to me how i get or install this required library/jar ?

Russ.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            374 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-20T18:17:09Z  in response to hockeyman
            Hi Russ,

com.ibm.datatools.publish.core is a plugin in IDA; therefore, you should have it by default.
            There should be an error message in the error log, can you please let me know what it is?

Neil
            • hockeyman
              hockeyman
              10 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-20T21:53:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Hi Neil,

First, I want to thank you for responding to my posts in a timely manner.

I have spent well over 12 hours getting extremely intimate with BIRT reporting.

The following attachment was based upon many many different attempts to get a physical report of my Database Table and columns
              to also show for any given column on the (.dbm) an assigned Term if one existed.

I have now learned that in order to accomplish this feat - I needed to know the following:

1) copying the base Birt Template report of interest (in the paper on reporting)
              2) Utilizing multiple data sources with setting the right instance
              3) Utilizing multiple data sets with the right row and column mapping.
              4) Utilizing the BG cache which contains all of the Terms, and the RID values.
              5) Utilizing a data 'join' data set since i need to joing the BG data set (cache) against the Column data set for whose column has an assigned
              term.

The BIGGEST issue that i see is the inability to utilize expressions easily when trying to concatenate items and more importantly
              how to get a non-template set of data to look nice. I am attaching both the .rpt i created plus a sample output .pdf

Any ideas on how to make pretty the column, source table, and assigned term is very welcome.

Regards,

Russ.
              • hockeyman
                hockeyman
                10 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-22T15:59:51Z  in response to hockeyman
                Hi Neil,

I must say I am blown away by the functionality incorpated into the Expression Builder, the data sets, and report building.

You can do QUITE a bit of customization by having IDA coupled together with the BIRT reports, and expression builder.

Case in point, I realized that I wanted ONLY those records whose TERMS were assinged to the physical data model columns.

Sure enough, the join data set has the logic to handle just that.

Very cool!!!

Russ.
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  374 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-23T16:27:01Z  in response to hockeyman
                  Hi Russ,

I am glad to see you are getting the hang of it. Do you still need help with your templates or you are fine?
                  Also, the cosmetic changes really depends on each person's taste. I suggest changing the width of each column as you see fit and adding border to each cell usually helps.
                  To add border to each cell, you should
                  1. have an empty table
                  2. multi-select all the cells in the table
                  3. go to the border tab in the property editor
                  4. click the button which shows a square sign

Neil
                  • hockeyman
                    hockeyman
                    10 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-23T20:29:03Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                    Neil,

I think i am good now. However, little suggestions about how-to create the borders are very welcome.

Russ.
                    • SystemAdmin
                      SystemAdmin
                      374 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-25T17:19:39Z  in response to hockeyman
                      Hi,

I listed the steps in my previous post. Any question about it?

Neil
                      • hockeyman
                        hockeyman
                        10 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-02T12:29:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                        Hi Neil,

I am at customer site and apologize for not responding in a timely manner.

I haven't tried your steps yet but I did get a chance to use your column report.

Unlike my report, yours looks fully integrated - nice job.

I need to get to apply your techniques to my reports.

Will try to make time this weekend.

thx,

Russ.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    374 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-17T17:28:52Z  in response to hockeyman
    Hi Russ,

IDA provides BIRT reporting which can generate reports in HTML, DOC, PDF, EXCEL, PPT and PostScript, not sure if you are aware of it.
    Please see the attached document for how to do it.

Neil
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    374 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-18T07:46:13Z  in response to hockeyman
    Hi,
    I understand Russ's question as I am also using the "publish to web" feature rather than the BIRT report. The reason is that the HTML file generated by BIRT report is a rather long HTML file (I have a complicated data model with lots of documentations) and not easy to read. The set of HTML files created by "publish to web" feature is much easier to read and browse around (agreed by my team of 9 logical modellers)

Unfortunately, I have not found any solutions about adding things like assigned BG term to the published HTML files. Looking forward to see any enhancement on this feature :)

-Harry
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      374 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-18T17:14:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Harry,

The content of the BIRT is highly customizable; therefore, you can change it to fit your needs.

Neil
      • hockeyman
        hockeyman
        10 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-19T20:18:03Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi Neil,

Ok, so lets go with BIRT then instead of publish to web as requested.

So far, I have someone providing me a finished report design stating that it works.

Instead, what i need is a step by step walk thru of how to add the BG Terms to a report a given BIRT report design.

I have already read the documents in dev works (very good by the way) on doing BIRT reports.

But no where do i see how to add an item such a BG term assigned to a column.

Please help me by providing the steps necessary to help my customer.

thanks in advance,

Russ.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          374 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-19T20:34:59Z  in response to hockeyman
          Hi Russ,

Please specify which terms you would like to include in the report.

Neil
          • hockeyman
            hockeyman
            10 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-19T21:26:14Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hi Neil,

IDA allows me to assign BG terms to a particular column of a given Physical Data Model (.dbm).

By the way, I am using IDA 7.5.3.1. I also have installed the BG Plugin. The BG Plugin enables the right-mouse click assignment (you probably know this already).

Ideally, I would like two types of reports. I would like to enhance the existing Column Report by adding the Term(s) assign to a given column.
            So with two additional Report Columns named 'Assigned Term' and 'Assigned Description'. Using the BG cache you actually can get at both.
            I have started to analyze the .xml of a previous post.

So this BIRT Report would represent the Metadata of the Table and columns along with their assigned BG term/description.

Second Report, I would like to have a data source type of BIRT Report which uses say the List Report and has again two additional columns.
            Again, the 'Assigned Term' and 'Assigned Description' for a given column from (.dbm).

Regards,

Russ.
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              374 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-20T18:15:50Z  in response to hockeyman
              Hi Russ,

Please have a look at the file in attachment for the first template.
              I would like to make sure it has the information you are looking for before moving on to the second template.
              Also, I would like to make sure I understand the second template. If I understand it correctly, it is going to be the first template without table information. Is it correct?

Neil