Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-04-16T19:35:14Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
217 Posts

Pinned topic Cognos Developer Edition and SDK

‏2012-04-16T17:39:37Z |
I'm trying to install the 8.4.1 SDK along side the 8.4.1 Developer Edition. I'm getting an error that "You cannot install this version of the product over a previously installed version. Please choose another directory." I reviewed the log file created in the temp folder but it didn't help much in terms of where the mismatch is.
Updated on 2012-04-16T19:35:14Z at 2012-04-16T19:35:14Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    217 Posts

Re: Cognos Developer Edition and SDK

‏2012-04-16T17:52:16Z  
    The developer edition does not currently come with the client SDK.

This doesn't mean that you could not unpack the SDK and setup a client application. However, the login method used for the dev edition is pseudo-proprietary...

The easiest way forward is to download the STD edition from where you got the SDK.

Be sure to export the content from the dev edition before it times out!!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    217 Posts

Re: Cognos Developer Edition and SDK

‏2012-04-16T19:35:14Z  
    The developer edition does not currently come with the client SDK.

This doesn't mean that you could not unpack the SDK and setup a client application. However, the login method used for the dev edition is pseudo-proprietary...

The easiest way forward is to download the STD edition from where you got the SDK.

Be sure to export the content from the dev edition before it times out!!
    Thanks for the insight Anthony. If I have to install the SDK using the standard or enterprise editions then what purpose is the developer edition intended for?

I'm looking at Microsoft SQL Server as a parallel where the Developer Edition is a low cost Enterprise Edition intended for non-production / development use. If we have to install full copies then I'm assuming there is potentially a licensing cost associated with that as well (unclear as I cannot find any licensing guidance on the ibm.com site).