Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-04-18T01:36:48Z by mendell
BruceGlassford
BruceGlassford
71 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Generic C++ operators and recursive types

‏2012-04-15T23:31:51Z |
Got a port with the following type: <rstring f1, list<tuple<rstring f2, rstring f3>f4 >>

I can get to the attributes by using $model->getOutputPortAt(0)->getAttributes()

That gives me f1, f4 neatly.

I can get the SPL type for f4 using SPL::CodeGen::Type::getElementType($splType); where $splType is the getSPLType() for the attribute being iterated.

How do I turn that attribute back to a tuple/port so I can do the same decomposition for f4?
  • mendell
    mendell
    219 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Generic C++ operators and recursive types

‏2012-04-16T00:50:43Z  in response to BruceGlassford
    I am not sure what you are trying to do. The whole tuple arrives on the port as one 'object'. You can access this in C++
    as:

const IPort0Type& t = (

const IPort0Type&) tuple;   
    // Assumes tuple is on port 0, and tuple name is 'tuple' in prototype 

const IPort0Type::f4_type& listOfTuples = t.get_f4(); 
    // Do something with listOfTuples 

const IPort0Type::f4_type::value_type& first_value& = listOfTuples[0]; 

const IPort0Type::f4_type::value_type::f2_type& 
    /* rstring */ = first_value.get_f2(); 
    // Note that typedefes help here :-)

If you have an OutputAttribute, you can use $attr->getCppType() to get the type of the attribute. There isn't too much support for going deeper into the type, but you can use type::value_type to get to the element type of a list (comes from std::vector). There is also key_type for sets, key_type and value_type for maps, etc.

Mark
    • BruceGlassford
      BruceGlassford
      71 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-16T01:03:27Z  in response to mendell
      What I'm trying to do is parse data from the input tuple - basically a JSON string in one of the input tuple attributes. If there is a corresponding output port attribute to one of the JSON tags, populate it. I've got it working for scalars, but can't figure out how to get one level deeper in the perl preprocessor to handle tuples (or lists of tuples) to determine the attribute names and process them.

I can get the element types for lists if they're scalars - the nested tuples are what's thwarting me at present.

Doing it from C seems to be a problem - I'd have to know the attribute names in advance from what I can figure out so far, so have to go to the Perl to get them, but I can't get to the attribute names within a tuple inside of a list inside of a tuple....

... Bruce
      • mendell
        mendell
        219 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-16T02:01:06Z  in response to BruceGlassford
        From the SPL::CodeGen::Type documentation:

# This is the SPL Operator Code Generation Type API.  This API is used to extract information about # SPL types.  These types are representations of the SPL types, and are often extracted using # SPL::Operator::Instance::Expression::getSPLType() from expressions and parameters.  The SPL type # is the same as written in SPL, with whitespace removed, except between an attribute
        's type and associated # name. # For example, the SPL type 

for the output port of 

this operator: # stream<rstring a, int32 b> A = Beacon() 
        {
        } # is the string: # 
        "tuple<rstring a,int32 b>" # # The functions in 

this 

class can be used to test the kind of the type, and pull apart types into # their component parts. # # For the above example, SPL::CodeGen::Type::isTuple($type) will 

return 1. # SPL::CodeGen::Type::getAttributeTypes($type will 

return [
        "rstring", 
        "int32"] # SPL::CodeGen::Type::getAttributeNames($type) will 

return [
        "a", 
        "b"]

You can pull apart f4's SPL type into the attribute names and SPL types. That should give you enough information to make this work
  • BruceGlassford
    BruceGlassford
    71 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-16T17:58:05Z  in response to BruceGlassford
    Gives me enough to work with. Will post some of the logic when I get finished rewriting everything from scratch later.
    • BruceGlassford
      BruceGlassford
      71 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-17T21:28:31Z  in response to BruceGlassford
      Nope, didn't work - I can get the structure without issue, but initializing a new inner tuple appears to be impossible. I'd need some way to get the type name of the inner tuple from what I can see. Attacking it from a different angle for now - will revisit it when I get some time - going to use output functions to get the inner data instead of just being able to use the structure of the output tuple.

Which means that the flip side function (taking a tuple and building the string representation) is also going to be interesting for arbitrary tuple layouts.
      • BruceGlassford
        BruceGlassford
        71 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-17T21:32:44Z  in response to BruceGlassford
        Just re-read the first one - I missed seeing the IPort0Type::f4_type - that is EXACTLY what I need, I think. Thanks again, Mark - going to go off and read that very carefully and see if I can make it work. Where would I look to see the documentation on what gets built in the classes for a tuple? (i.e. where I would see the f4_type etc)?
        • mendell
          mendell
          219 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-18T01:33:08Z  in response to BruceGlassford
          See the C++ section in Toolkit Developer Reference for details. There is even an example with nested tuples.

Mark
          • mendell
            mendell
            219 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-18T01:36:48Z  in response to mendell
            If you are really interested in the guts of *tuple*s, you can look at output/src/type/WEIRD_NAME.{h,cpp} for the right tuple type. Note that information in that file is subject to change, and only the documented API interface is guarenteed to remain the same.

Mark