Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-04-17T17:42:41Z by alethad
Q3VY_Vijayakumar_Kesavan
3 Posts

Pinned topic DB2 Smart Assist support for DB2 file systems of type GPFS

‏2012-04-13T20:57:25Z |
Experts,

I have 2 AIX 6.1 LPARs with GPFS 3.4 and PowerHA 6.1 on them. I'm trying to configure High Availability for an DB2 V9.7 Fixpack 4 instance using "Smart Assist for DB2". For DB2 I have 2 GPFS file systems one for DB2 instance home directory and second for database data file system, we have it as GPFS because its is visible on 2 LPARs and on failover its reduces the time of unmount, fsck and mount.

When I run smit HACMP --> Initilization and extended configuration --> Config assistant --> Make Application highly available --> Add an application to HACMP -->

I'm getting struck when its asking for the instance home volume group details which we don’t have since it is on GPFS. So how do we configure a GPFS file systems like instance home and database file systems which are shared across LPAR's using Smart Asssist for DB2 for making an instance highly available.

Thanks,
Vijay
Updated on 2012-04-17T17:42:41Z at 2012-04-17T17:42:41Z by alethad
  • alethad
    alethad
    286 Posts

Re: DB2 Smart Assist support for DB2 file systems of type GPFS

‏2012-04-17T15:42:40Z  
    What guide are you using to do this? You didn't say.
    Here's a document to review your steps if you wish to. The versions might be different but the principle is the same.

There is a certain order to it.
    http://www.gsebelux.com/sites/default/files/TME%20DB2%20Custom%20HA%20Solution.pdf
    Just 2 cents.
    Good luck.

You've got to continue to grow, or you're just like last night's cornbread -- stale & dry Loretta Lynn alethad
  • alethad
    alethad
    286 Posts

‏2012-04-17T15:43:24Z  
    • alethad
    • ‏2012-04-17T15:42:40Z
    What guide are you using to do this? You didn't say.
    Here's a document to review your steps if you wish to. The versions might be different but the principle is the same.

There is a certain order to it.
    http://www.gsebelux.com/sites/default/files/TME%20DB2%20Custom%20HA%20Solution.pdf
    Just 2 cents.
    Good luck.

You've got to continue to grow, or you're just like last night's cornbread -- stale & dry Loretta Lynn alethad
    Forgot to say look at page 7 and down.
  • alethad
    alethad
    286 Posts

‏2012-04-17T15:48:09Z  
    • alethad
    • ‏2012-04-17T15:43:24Z
    Okay forget what I said. I misunderstood your question.
    Sorry.
  • Q3VY_Vijayakumar_Kesavan
    3 Posts

‏2012-04-17T15:57:09Z  
    • alethad
    • ‏2012-04-17T15:43:24Z
    Thanks for taking your time to do search on this to help me out. The primary reason we want to go for "DB2 Smart Assist" to configure HA cluster is because DB2 can take of the scripts to stop/start/monitor and failover. On the slides they are not sure how they configured HACMP either by using "DB2 Smart Assist" or by manual failover scripts. Can you please share your thoughts on the "DB2 Smart Assist" piece here.

Thanks,
    Vijay
  • alethad
    alethad
    286 Posts

‏2012-04-17T16:22:27Z  
    Thanks for taking your time to do search on this to help me out. The primary reason we want to go for "DB2 Smart Assist" to configure HA cluster is because DB2 can take of the scripts to stop/start/monitor and failover. On the slides they are not sure how they configured HACMP either by using "DB2 Smart Assist" or by manual failover scripts. Can you please share your thoughts on the "DB2 Smart Assist" piece here.

Thanks,
    Vijay
    I personally avoid the Smart Assist config menus even for the simple 2-Node configuration because I want control of where everything goes. Some of the defaults don't work for us. And DB2 seems to have changed their file structure in the last 2 versions I installed so I don't trust HACMP to know the difference or where I have everything placed.
    Have you built your HA cluster first before trying to configure the GPFS? I believe that is a pre-requisite.

If you don't have this check it out. Just for review of any limitations or pre-req's.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/aix/v7r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.aix.hacmp.insgd%2Fha_install_gpfs_config.htm

I don't use GPFS yet but we're going to have to look at it soon I think. I do config clusters though.

Sorry I'm not much help.
    I will defer to someone who knows more than I.
    Good luck.

• alethad
    alethad
    286 Posts

‏2012-04-17T16:23:51Z  
    • alethad
    • ‏2012-04-17T16:22:27Z
    I personally avoid the Smart Assist config menus even for the simple 2-Node configuration because I want control of where everything goes. Some of the defaults don't work for us. And DB2 seems to have changed their file structure in the last 2 versions I installed so I don't trust HACMP to know the difference or where I have everything placed.
    Have you built your HA cluster first before trying to configure the GPFS? I believe that is a pre-requisite.

If you don't have this check it out. Just for review of any limitations or pre-req's.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/aix/v7r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.aix.hacmp.insgd%2Fha_install_gpfs_config.htm

I don't use GPFS yet but we're going to have to look at it soon I think. I do config clusters though.

Sorry I'm not much help.
    I will defer to someone who knows more than I.
    Good luck.

Forgot to include a document you might want to look at as another source/reference for DB2 & GPFS but may not have your answer.

http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/dw/data/bestpractices/DB2BP_GPFS_1009I.pdf
  • Q3VY_Vijayakumar_Kesavan
    3 Posts

‏2012-04-17T16:36:37Z  
    • alethad
    • ‏2012-04-17T16:23:51Z
    Forgot to include a document you might want to look at as another source/reference for DB2 & GPFS but may not have your answer.

http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/dw/data/bestpractices/DB2BP_GPFS_1009I.pdf
    Thanks again, I too got this Best Practices PDF when I google, but its of no use - I mean how to use DB2 on GPFS for HA environment. So in your environment you have then manual scripts that will take care of the start/stop and monitor, if yes then do I need to write some shell script to achieve this functionality - this is the one last question I have on this.

Thanks,
    Vijay
  • alethad
    alethad
    286 Posts

‏2012-04-17T16:54:09Z  
    Thanks again, I too got this Best Practices PDF when I google, but its of no use - I mean how to use DB2 on GPFS for HA environment. So in your environment you have then manual scripts that will take care of the start/stop and monitor, if yes then do I need to write some shell script to achieve this functionality - this is the one last question I have on this.

Thanks,
    Vijay
    Yes we make our own start and stop scripts not only because we want control but the software vendors don't always follow the same rules as everyone else. they want it done their way and no one else's. If you know what I mean.

Just put them in a FS that won't get overwritten by OS or HA or DB2 upgrades.
    It's not hard to write them since you only have to do the same steps you do manually. As you know the real pain is doing all the checking to be sure the file/command exists before allowing the stop or start to proceed. And then testing the failover to be sure something isn't out of order or else you'll find your RG bouncing between the 2 nodes.
    Good luck. :)
  • alethad
    alethad
    286 Posts

‏2012-04-17T17:42:41Z  

Thanks,
    Vijay
    Glad to help anytime although I didn't help much this time.
    Maybe next one I'll do better. :)