Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-07-02T02:39:23Z by Catherine_cherry
DJSchaefer
DJSchaefer
17 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Compute Node boot fails

‏2012-04-13T16:26:06Z |
Hi guys,

I am trying to install SCP 2.1 BetaDrop1 in my environment. Platform is RHEL 6.0 64bit.
I managed to setup the PXE server and installed 2 storage nodes in my environment.

But the installation of the compute nodes fail. Please see the screenshot for the detailed error message. There seems to be a problem with creating the partition layout?
I have already tried to set "FORCE_PARTITION=yes" in the "/var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default" file on the firstnode, but the error message stays the same.
I am new to SCP, maybe there are more parameters to change that I am not aware of?

My compute node is a IBM x3850 that is connected to a SAN LUN with about 1 TB free space, no physical disk.
I don't think that the SAN is a problem, because I run into the same error message in a VM that I had booted in the same network.

Do you have any suggestions to fix this?

Cheers,
Daniel
Updated on 2012-07-02T02:39:23Z at 2012-07-02T02:39:23Z by Catherine_cherry
  • rossdavibm
    rossdavibm
    25 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Compute Node boot fails

‏2012-04-13T20:36:38Z  in response to DJSchaefer
    In checking the system as it boots, does it 'see' a disk of any sort from the BIOS perspective? As you can see in the error, it's looking for a disk /dev/sda, indicating the 'first' disk or a single disk defined on the system. I've seen some situations where external SAS drives (not SAN, I know but a similar concept) only report as 'disk 1' or 'disk 2'; that is, there is no drive 0 (sda) on the system. This means that if the external SAS disk was the only disk, it would be registered to the system as '/dev/sdb' or '/dev/sdc'; not /dev/sda.

Perhaps you have a similar issue? The root question is, does the system see the SAN drive as drive 0?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    92 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-17T17:51:12Z  in response to DJSchaefer
    I have this same issue too. I configured Boot from SAN on my Bladecenter but fails with this error. Initially I installed compute node on local drives (40 GB SSD's) and tried to use SAN partition by configuring "IAASDEV=/dev/mapper/mpathbp1" parameter in "/var/lib/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default" file but it didn't like it.
    Wondering what folks would do if you have smaller drives or want to use SAN partition for compute node.
    In case of Storage node, I surpassed this issue by commenting out the line
    #ignoredisk --only-use=sda
    in /data/repos/isaac/storage-ks.cfg on the PXE server.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      92 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-30T15:57:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Any updates on this issue?
      Is it possible to use linux livecd to boot from multipath device such as SAN?
      If not, can we at least make one partition IAASDEV to utilize multipath device (SAN)?

Thanks,
      • Peter
      • Snow_Cherry
        Snow_Cherry
        3 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-08T03:12:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        It's true it doesn't handle the situation that SAN is the compute node's storage, I wonder if put multipath into the ramdisk, then the first device name will always be /dev/mapper/mpatha. Can you confirm me with this info, then we can change it accordingly.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          92 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-20T11:00:38Z  in response to Snow_Cherry
          Is there any update on this issue available yet?
          I'm facing the same problem.

Or is there a confirmation that compute nodes don't run on SAN storage?
  • Catherine_cherry
    Catherine_cherry
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-27T02:06:10Z  in response to DJSchaefer
    SCP beta drop 1 doesn't support compute node with SAN storage without local disk. This issue will be fixed in GA release.
    • Catherine_cherry
      Catherine_cherry
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-02T02:39:23Z  in response to Catherine_cherry
      If you want to workaround and have a try, you can remove root=/dev/xxx in default file on firstbox, then it can run in memory. And you can configure the storage by hand after login.