• 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-07-31T10:52:09Z by Mathias Mamsch
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3180 Posts

Pinned topic Missing Outlinks on a Baseline

‏2012-04-12T14:34:55Z |
Folks,
Have anyone seen this issue before? I think the issue is related to the baseline sets and the lack of knowledge on how should we handle them.

Now I need to recreate the links, is there a way to do this?

Note: The links in the current module have all links available.
Updated on 2012-04-20T06:05:41Z at 2012-04-20T06:05:41Z by SystemAdmin
  • Mathias Mamsch
    Mathias Mamsch
    2196 Posts

Re: Missing Outlinks on a Baseline

‏2012-04-16T09:28:00Z  
    Well the reason this happened is probably, that you had an open baseline set containing the module and DOORS split up/duplicated the links. Then some clever guy wondered "Dude, why do I have all those links duplicate, lets delete all those links to the baseline!". Then after baselining the module in the baseline set, the links in the baseline are all gone.

Bad news, you cannot add the links to the baseline again. The only thing you can do is create a new baseline, but this would imply you did not change the current module yet (and all the other modules if you used a baseline set). Since I guess you already have changes after the baseline, I think you would need to do some major database manipulation to get the links (not recommended!).

Can you maybe accept the missing links? Regards, Mathias

Mathias Mamsch, IT-QBase GmbH, Consultant for Requirement Engineering and D00RS
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3180 Posts

‏2012-04-19T18:11:10Z  
    Well the reason this happened is probably, that you had an open baseline set containing the module and DOORS split up/duplicated the links. Then some clever guy wondered "Dude, why do I have all those links duplicate, lets delete all those links to the baseline!". Then after baselining the module in the baseline set, the links in the baseline are all gone.

Bad news, you cannot add the links to the baseline again. The only thing you can do is create a new baseline, but this would imply you did not change the current module yet (and all the other modules if you used a baseline set). Since I guess you already have changes after the baseline, I think you would need to do some major database manipulation to get the links (not recommended!).

Can you maybe accept the missing links? Regards, Mathias

Mathias Mamsch, IT-QBase GmbH, Consultant for Requirement Engineering and D00RS
    Matt, The issue is more than that. I think the issue is related to some baseline sets that were never closed and some of the modules were added, not baseline and the module were updated with more requirements and links. That's my assumption. No body delete the links, I checked some of the objects and there was no history of deletions.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3180 Posts

‏2012-04-20T06:05:41Z  
    Matt, The issue is more than that. I think the issue is related to some baseline sets that were never closed and some of the modules were added, not baseline and the module were updated with more requirements and links. That's my assumption. No body delete the links, I checked some of the objects and there was no history of deletions.
    Hello Douglas,

I know this not exactly the situation you describe, but your problem might be related to this issue.
    Regards,
    Mike

Here are your daily email notifications for your subscriptions at IBM My notifications.
    […]1. Rational DOORS: Troubleshooting[…]

• TITLE: Rational DOORS: Links in Baseline Set Missing
    • URL: http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21591421&myns=swgrat&mynp=OCSSYQBZ&mync=E
    • ABSTRACT: Why am I missing outlinks in a module which is part of a baseline set?

[…]
    • Subscribe or Unsubscribe - https://www.ibm.com/support/mynotifications
    […]

Question
    Why am I missing outlinks in a module which is part of a baseline set?

Cause
    Steps to reproduce:
    Create a new project
    Create a new source module with one object
    Create a new target module with one object
    Create an outlink from the one object in the source module to the one object in the target module
    Define a baseline set definition on the project and include both the source and target module in this definition
    Create a baseline set (major 1.0) and add ONLY the source module to the baseline set
    Close the baseline set (without ever adding the target module to the baseline set)
    Now when you open the source module, in the current version you still see the outlink going to the target module. But when you open the baseline 1.0 for the source module, you don't see any outlink.

Answer
    This can happen if you close a baseline set prior to making sure all the modules which were part of that baseline set definition were baselined into the set.
    This is working as designed, so you need to make sure you add all the modules to the baseline set before you close the baseline set.
  • clhoover
    clhoover
    8 Posts

‏2014-07-29T14:29:00Z  
    Hello Douglas,

I know this not exactly the situation you describe, but your problem might be related to this issue.
    Regards,
    Mike

Here are your daily email notifications for your subscriptions at IBM My notifications.
    […]1. Rational DOORS: Troubleshooting[…]

• TITLE: Rational DOORS: Links in Baseline Set Missing
    • URL: http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21591421&myns=swgrat&mynp=OCSSYQBZ&mync=E
    • ABSTRACT: Why am I missing outlinks in a module which is part of a baseline set?

[…]
    • Subscribe or Unsubscribe - https://www.ibm.com/support/mynotifications
    […]

Question
    Why am I missing outlinks in a module which is part of a baseline set?

Cause
    Steps to reproduce:
    Create a new project
    Create a new source module with one object
    Create a new target module with one object
    Create an outlink from the one object in the source module to the one object in the target module
    Define a baseline set definition on the project and include both the source and target module in this definition
    Create a baseline set (major 1.0) and add ONLY the source module to the baseline set
    Close the baseline set (without ever adding the target module to the baseline set)
    Now when you open the source module, in the current version you still see the outlink going to the target module. But when you open the baseline 1.0 for the source module, you don't see any outlink.

Answer
    This can happen if you close a baseline set prior to making sure all the modules which were part of that baseline set definition were baselined into the set.
    This is working as designed, so you need to make sure you add all the modules to the baseline set before you close the baseline set.

We're having this issue, but the baseline set is not closed. Both modules are listed in the Baseline Definition and the Baselines are listed in the Baseline Set.Baselines list. Any ideas on what else could be the cause?

• Mathias Mamsch
    Mathias Mamsch
    2196 Posts

‏2014-07-29T16:39:41Z  
    • clhoover
    • ‏2014-07-29T14:29:00Z

We're having this issue, but the baseline set is not closed. Both modules are listed in the Baseline Definition and the Baselines are listed in the Baseline Set.Baselines list. Any ideas on what else could be the cause?

Did you verify, that you really had links in your modules, when you made the baseline? What DOORS Version are you using (Server / Client) ... and please describe a little bit in detail, what you did? Did you manually create the baselines (and did you do it using the baseline set dialog?) ? Or by script? Regards, Mathias

• clhoover
    clhoover
    8 Posts

‏2014-07-29T17:00:50Z  

Did you verify, that you really had links in your modules, when you made the baseline? What DOORS Version are you using (Server / Client) ... and please describe a little bit in detail, what you did? Did you manually create the baselines (and did you do it using the baseline set dialog?) ? Or by script? Regards, Mathias

I'll have to ask the user. I've been looking at it for a while and can't seem to figure out what happened. The Inlink exists in the current and baseline of the Target module, but the outlink is missing in the baselined version of the Source module, but exists in the current version of the source module.. 

Client Version: 9.5.1.2 or 9.3.0.5

Server Version: 9.5.1.2

Updated on 2014-07-29T17:03:43Z at 2014-07-29T17:03:43Z by clhoover
  • clhoover
    clhoover
    8 Posts

‏2014-07-30T18:20:43Z  

Mathias,

I tried to press our user for more information and could not get them to answer, so I contacted them directly today and they said they are just moving forward and no longer need help with the ticket to just close it. It would be nice to understand what happened here, but without further details I don't think we're going to get there. Thank you for trying to reach out to help, I appreciate it!

• Mathias Mamsch
    Mathias Mamsch
    2196 Posts

‏2014-07-31T10:52:09Z  
    • clhoover
    • ‏2014-07-30T18:20:43Z

Mathias,

I tried to press our user for more information and could not get them to answer, so I contacted them directly today and they said they are just moving forward and no longer need help with the ticket to just close it. It would be nice to understand what happened here, but without further details I don't think we're going to get there. Thank you for trying to reach out to help, I appreciate it!

Well the behaviour you describe would occur as a normal result, if

(And I assume module B the link target, module A the link source, Object OA the source object and Object OB the target object)

• You create a baseline set and add module A and B to it ...
    • Then you create a link from OA to OB
    • Then you baseline module B in the baselineset (during that operation the Link inside module A is duplicated, one link points to the baseline of A, one link points to the current version of A)
    • Then the link from OA to the baseline is deleted (e.g. by a script, or by the user himself)
    • Then module A is baselined in the baseline set .

In this case, you should get the result you described. Maybe you can try this procedure with test modules to verify, that you get the same result. This situation can occur especially if the users use scripts that manipulate links (e.g. draw link by attribute). If those scripts do not handle the situation of opened baseline sets well, these kinds of problems are natural.

Maybe this helps, regards, Mathias