Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-04-23T12:29:52Z by aixgur
aixgur
aixgur
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic DUPLICATE IP ADDRESS DETECTED IN THE NET

‏2012-04-12T14:26:01Z |
We have cloned an LPAR, from one JS23 Blade to another JS23 Blade. Recently we have noticed the following error (DUPLICATE IP ADDRESS DETECTED IN THE NET) and transalting the HEX Duplicate IP - it translates to the same IP we have configuredo n this LPAR. checking the IP confifguration, we have one en0 with one IP address and im 100% sure there is no other machine utilizing the same IP address.

So for sure this problem must have been created upon cloning the virtual machine from one VIOS to another VIOS server. Is there a recommended procedure to clear up this duplicate IP error?

This server has Oracle installed upon it, not a Live server but a testing LPAR. The issue is bothering me because it is showing as offline on IBM director but it is still accessible over the network.

Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Updated on 2012-04-23T12:29:52Z at 2012-04-23T12:29:52Z by aixgur
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1744 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DUPLICATE IP ADDRESS DETECTED IN THE NET

‏2012-04-14T04:26:58Z  in response to aixgur
    In the message from the errpt that reports the duplicate IP address it should also report the MAC address that claims to have the same IP address. You can compare that with the MAC address reported on the blade you suspect of having the problem (use lscfg -vl entX). If the MAC matches then check with "ifconfig -a" to verify what IP addresses are active on whatever adapters are present.

That's how I would start to tackle the problem.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1744 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-15T20:53:57Z  in response to aixgur
    It depends how you have cloned your rootvg. When using alt_disk_copy or alt_disk_mksysb there is an option to perform a device reset, so any user-defined device configuration (like IP address) wouldn't be retain.
    Try to find out if there is really a duplicate IP (your cloned lpar).

Or maybe you could be in another situation : Windows Server with Broadcom adapter set up for Teaming in a Active/Active configuration
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg3T1010797

After resolving your issue, you could clear the record in errlog by using errclear command.
  • aixgur
    aixgur
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-23T12:29:52Z  in response to aixgur
    Thanks for your help, however ive already double checked that i do not have a broadcom teaming within an active/active configuration. I've also verified that the MAC Address does not exist within my network, but doing netstat -ia on all machines and lscfg -vl entX.

I'm running out of options and it seems that it is a false positive, however i need to resolve this problem asap.