Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-05-07T15:49:58Z by bwchang
ellisdp
ellisdp
36 Posts

Pinned topic Using SIAPI to Add Documents (Data Listener)

‏2012-04-11T16:26:44Z |
OmniFind 9.1 EE (or Content Analytics 2.2)

I am trying to understand the position of using an API to add documents, to create a Data Listener application.

The documentation for OF 9.1 states:

The search and index application programming interface (SIAPI) provides functions that are equivalent to the data listener API.

Beginning with OmniFind® Enterprise Edition, Version 8.4, you were asked to use SIAPI instead of the data listener API when developing applications. You can use the following SIAPI methods to implement equivalent data listener functions ...

And, I have got an example working using those SIAPI methods to add documents.

However, elsewhere the documentation for OF 9.1 states:

The SIAPI Administration APIs and Web Services APIs are being deprecated and will not be supported in future releases. To develop custom administration applications, use the REST Administration and Search APIs, which are included in OmniFind Enterprise Edition Version 9.1 ...

This announcement pertains only to the administration APIs and web services. The SIAPI Search APIs continue to be supported.

In the Programming Guide and InfoCenter, the methods to add documents to a collection are listed under "Administration Applications", which implies that they are part of the deprecated set.

In addition, the documentation headed "SIAPI implementation restrictions" states:

The com.ibm.siapi.index classes are not supported for search collections. These classes are supported for classic search collections only.

However I have built an example against a new search collection (not a classic search collection), and it seemed to work OK - so I am not sure whether the above was meant to mean "doesn't work", or "may work but is not supported".

Therefore I am confused. Are the SIAPI methods supported as the recommended way to create a Data Listener application - if so, the statement about deprecated methods seems unclear. If they are not, what is the recommended approach - and the advice about using them to create Data Listener applications seems wrong.
Updated on 2012-05-07T15:49:58Z at 2012-05-07T15:49:58Z by bwchang
  • bwchang
    bwchang
    146 Posts

Re: Using SIAPI to Add Documents (Data Listener)

‏2012-04-16T21:35:50Z  
    There are two portion of SIAPI api, the SIAPI Admin api and SIAPI Search api. Starting OEE 9.1 (and ICA 2.2), the SIAPI Admin api is declared deprecated. While it is still supported today, its support will be removed in some future release. REST Admin api is the replacement for the SIAPI Admin api. The SIAPI Search api was not declared deprecated and is still supported. However, customers are encouraged to use the REST Search api.

The declaration of deprecation was intended to state a clear direction that a feature will eventually be removed from support, in a future release. However, it is not removed from support yet, so that customers impacted are given a chance to migrate to its replacement.

Reference of the deprecation:

ICA 2.2: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/analytic/v2r2m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.discovery.es.ap.doc%2Fiiyspsiapilimits.htm&resultof=%22deprecate%22%20%22deprec%22

OEE 9.1: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=63&uid=swg21421174
    • search for SIAPI once within the document technote.

Hope this answered your questions on supported api.

Billy.
  • ellisdp
    ellisdp
    36 Posts

‏2012-04-17T09:40:08Z  
    • bwchang
    • ‏2012-04-16T21:35:50Z
    There are two portion of SIAPI api, the SIAPI Admin api and SIAPI Search api. Starting OEE 9.1 (and ICA 2.2), the SIAPI Admin api is declared deprecated. While it is still supported today, its support will be removed in some future release. REST Admin api is the replacement for the SIAPI Admin api. The SIAPI Search api was not declared deprecated and is still supported. However, customers are encouraged to use the REST Search api.

The declaration of deprecation was intended to state a clear direction that a feature will eventually be removed from support, in a future release. However, it is not removed from support yet, so that customers impacted are given a chance to migrate to its replacement.

Reference of the deprecation:

ICA 2.2: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/analytic/v2r2m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.discovery.es.ap.doc%2Fiiyspsiapilimits.htm&resultof=%22deprecate%22%20%22deprec%22

OEE 9.1: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=63&uid=swg21421174
    • search for SIAPI once within the document technote.

Hope this answered your questions on supported api.

Billy.
    Thanks Billy. I was trying to clarify specifically whether the Index APIs, used to add documents (and therefore to construct a Data Listener application), were considered part of the "Admin" API, and were therefore deprecated. From the reference you gave:

"The com.ibm.siapi.index and com.ibm.siapi.admin packages, also known as the SIAPI Administration APIs, are being deprecated in this release and will not be supported in future releases."

it seems that they are. This is disappointing.

That being the case, I think the statement in the InfoCenter that:

"Beginning with OmniFind® Enterprise Edition, Version 8.4, you were asked to use SIAPI instead of the data listener API when developing applications. You can use the following SIAPI methods to implement equivalent data listener functions ..."

is rather misleading, as it seems the SIAPI option is also now deprecated, and that we are supposed to use the REST API instead.
  • bwchang
    bwchang
    146 Posts

‏2012-04-18T21:34:39Z  
    • ellisdp
    • ‏2012-04-17T09:40:08Z
    Thanks Billy. I was trying to clarify specifically whether the Index APIs, used to add documents (and therefore to construct a Data Listener application), were considered part of the "Admin" API, and were therefore deprecated. From the reference you gave:

"The com.ibm.siapi.index and com.ibm.siapi.admin packages, also known as the SIAPI Administration APIs, are being deprecated in this release and will not be supported in future releases."

"Beginning with OmniFind® Enterprise Edition, Version 8.4, you were asked to use SIAPI instead of the data listener API when developing applications. You can use the following SIAPI methods to implement equivalent data listener functions ..."

is rather misleading, as it seems the SIAPI option is also now deprecated, and that we are supposed to use the REST API instead.
    Yes, the adding of documents is part of the SIAPI Admin API, and will need to be migrated over to REST Admin API.

You're right that this OEE 8.4 Information Center can be viewed as misleading. Unfortunately, we are not able to modify that version of document as it is still correct from 8.4's perspective, albeit, an outdated - 5 year old one.

Billy.
  • ellisdp
    ellisdp
    36 Posts

‏2012-04-19T09:16:51Z  
    • bwchang
    • ‏2012-04-18T21:34:39Z
    Yes, the adding of documents is part of the SIAPI Admin API, and will need to be migrated over to REST Admin API.

You're right that this OEE 8.4 Information Center can be viewed as misleading. Unfortunately, we are not able to modify that version of document as it is still correct from 8.4's perspective, albeit, an outdated - 5 year old one.

Billy.

Well, the statement I quoted was from the OF 9.1 info center - link here:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/discover/v9r1m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.discovery.es.ap.doc%2Fiiyspdatalistenermap.htm
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2014 Posts

‏2012-04-19T09:43:33Z  
    • ellisdp
    • ‏2012-04-17T09:40:08Z

Hi ellisdp,

if you need a JAVA API for the REST API (which are pure HTTP calls from client perspective as you might know) IBM SWG Service ECM in Germany has developed a client-side JAVA API (called RestApiHelper).

The RestApiHelper module is offered as service offering (as-is) for a relatively small charge.

If you need to migrate a legacy SIAPI application to REST API we also have a module that implements the SIAPI interfaces and maps them to the corresponding REST API calls. Not all SIAPI calls are yet implemented, but the document related add and remove calls work fine.

If you are interested I can provide some documentation/pricing info. Just send me an email with your contact information, see my profile page for email address.

Thanks,
    Marcell
  • bwchang
    bwchang
    146 Posts

‏2012-04-20T19:34:47Z  
    • ellisdp
    • ‏2012-04-19T09:16:51Z

Well, the statement I quoted was from the OF 9.1 info center - link here:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/discover/v9r1m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.discovery.es.ap.doc%2Fiiyspdatalistenermap.htm
    You're right. Let me see if we can add a comment to that page to avoid the misleading statement and direct customers to REST Admin API instead. Thanks for pointing this out.

Billy.
  • bwchang
    bwchang
    146 Posts

‏2012-05-07T15:49:58Z  
    • bwchang
    • ‏2012-04-20T19:34:47Z
    You're right. Let me see if we can add a comment to that page to avoid the misleading statement and direct customers to REST Admin API instead. Thanks for pointing this out.

Billy.
    We added a comment to direct users to use REST API for adding a document in our OEE 9.1 Information Center. Thanks for catching this oversight.

Billy.