Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-06-24T23:01:35Z by Ricardo_Sosa
Sdrago
Sdrago
7 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic DS3400 "Failed Logical Drive - Drive Failure"

‏2012-04-11T16:00:19Z |
Hi all, we just attempted to install a ESM module on a EXP3000 that we tested on another DS3400 with an EXP3000 and it was working. When we transferred it to the DS3400 to fix the "Loss of Path redundancy" and have 2 controllers in there in case one failed. As soon as the new ESM wideport controller went in all access to the arrays that spanned into that chassis or were soley in that chassis stopped responding, I was told to remove the ESM as that was the only thing that was likely. I opened up my Storage manager console and I have an error "Failed Logical Drive - Drive Failure" when I click on it it says "Status: Failed - Incomplete array" the storage manager reports all drives are there and working fine for both arrays, No yellow lights on the DS3400 except for the main one. Anyone have any clue on what to do in this case?

I have already called IBM and opened a support ticket, Just waiting to hear back and see if anyone else had this problem or know troubleshooting tips/
Updated on 2012-06-24T23:01:35Z at 2012-06-24T23:01:35Z by Ricardo_Sosa
  • Sdrago
    Sdrago
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DS3400 "Failed Logical Drive - Drive Failure"

‏2012-04-11T18:36:13Z  in response to Sdrago
    So, I have talked with IBM support. They told me to simply reboot the whole ds3400 system exp3000s and all. It didn't work and I was upgraded to level 3 tech support.

side note: They said you must start by taking the ds3400 offline then the second expansion chassis and then the third expansion and so on to turn it off properly.

To bring it back up you must start from the very last EXP3000 backwards to the DS3400.

This is the proper way to reboot it according to the techs I just talked to. Previously, I was just told I can turn off the ds3400 and turn them back on in and order by techs. Just thought I'd throw this in there.
  • Novikov_Alexander
    Novikov_Alexander
    1392 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-12T02:20:49Z  in response to Sdrago
    Dear Steven,

could you provide DS3400 Support Data.

Regards,
    Alexander Novikov
    Russia, Moscow
  • leytond
    leytond
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-13T13:29:03Z  in response to Sdrago
    Hi

we seem to have the same issue, we also have "Failed Logical Drive - Drive Failure" and "Status: Failed - Incomplete array" our issue happened after a weekend powerdown and restart. The Array has other logical drives on the same physical disks and they are optimal and can be accessed ok. We do not have any backend failures, all physical hdd's are green are visible in Storage manager.
    i have reseated all components and done various restarts (exp520's on first leave a while then power-on ds5020). Infact we have 3 arrays which have 1 logical drive failure on each, each of these logical drives contain VMFS and all other logical drives in these arrays are ok.

I have rebooted (ds5020 controller off 1st and exp520 trays 2nd (trays in no order which is correct!))
    read link status shows no errors all looks normal.

when i get a fix i'll post it.
  • Sdrago
    Sdrago
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-01T20:24:53Z  in response to Sdrago
    I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that they had to have a tech come out to our site to run a script to rebuild the array in a specific order of failure and that brought our arrays back up to optimal and are working.
    • Ricardo_Sosa
      Ricardo_Sosa
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-06-24T23:01:35Z  in response to Sdrago
      Hi Sdrago,
      We are having the same issue, did you by any chance keep a copy of the script used for the array rebuild?
      We are under a lot of pressure from our superiors to solve this problem.

Greetings.

Moises Sosa