Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2015-01-08T20:01:06Z by DaveQ
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
9111 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Run DSA-log on x3650 M3 (ESXi 5 installed)

‏2012-04-11T13:50:58Z |
Hello,

Does anybody know, how I can create a DSA-Log of an x3650 M3 (ESXi 5.0 installed) without rebooting?
For server with ESXi 4.1, we always used the following command to create a DSA-Log:
"./ibm_utl_dsa_dsyt91l-4.00_portable_vmware_4.x.bin -v"
Afterwards you can find some .html files (/var or /tmp) which you can view with a browser and check your system for errors.

But under the ESXi 5.0 OS, I'm not able to run this above mentioned command.
  • wolleyz
    wolleyz
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Run DSA-log on x3650 M3 (ESXi 5 installed)

‏2013-05-28T11:57:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin

i have having issues on the steps on how to run DSA on a VMware ESXi Host remotely and also to collect data..i would be glad to have someone tell me the steps all the way.....how do i make the command see the downloaded DSA utility?

• CoryB12345
    CoryB12345
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2015-01-08T16:15:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Does anyone (including IBM) have a solution for this yet?  Rebooting a server is not always a option, vmware esxi is not going away and it would sure be nice to be able to run the DSA Log utility without rebooting.  Even better.  Most of these systems probably have a Remote Management Adapter (/IMM) maybe you could update the IMM firmware to include this same detailed information in the Service Data log of the IMM.  So we don't have to impact the running Operating system in any way to pull this information, isn't that the point of a IMM?

• DaveQ
      DaveQ
      132 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2015-01-08T20:01:06Z  in response to CoryB12345

Checking the IMM or other remote management card variant is always a worthy place to check, and retrieve hardware logs from as another data source, but you can run DSA portable version remotely against an ESXi host.

- To guarantee accurate data retrieval, your host should be running the IBM-customized vSphere image (not the native VMware one), or have the IBM ESXi providers loaded.

- SSH must be running on the host for the remote DSA session to connect. If you don't run it normally, you can turn it on just for the DSA pass and turn it off after.

- From a workstation with network access to the host's management interface (using Windows as an example), open a command prompt and change directory to the DSA executable. Your DSA executable should be the latest Windows version which supports your host server model/type.

Note: For reference, if you run the Windows executable from a command line, run it with the -? switch to see the available options.

Using DSA portable 9.61 for Windows in the example below, where userID:password are the credentials locally on your host (such as root or another ID), and IP address or hostname.domain.com is the host in question:

Run:

ibm_utl_dsa_dsyte1d-9.61_portable_windows_x86-64.exe --vmware-esxi userID:password@IPaddress

OR (if you use DNS)

ibm_utl_dsa_dsyte1d-9.61_portable_windows_x86-64.exe --vmware-esxi userID:password@hostname.domain.com

If the DSA utility is able to connect to your host via SSH and the correct providers are loaded, data should be retrieved and dumped in the default support data directory on your Windows workstation (such as C:\IBM_Support\). Otherwise specify additional options as you choose (based on the information from the -? switch).

Hope this helps.

Updated on 2015-01-08T20:03:35Z at 2015-01-08T20:03:35Z by DaveQ