• 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-24T19:31:19Z by zdebug
lauterbachS
lauterbachS
22 Posts

Pinned topic Debug console not available

‏2012-04-04T12:57:59Z |
Hi everybody,

recently, 2 of our developers run into the problem that the debug console shows up with a message: "Debug console not available for current selection" and the "Debug Engine Command" Input field doesn't allow any input.

The Debugger ist started with a COBOL Program, and the next step would be a LDD for an Assembler-subprogram. The debugger ist active, in the Debug-View the Thread is active, the Cobol program is shown in Debug-Editor, "Step" works, ... but the Debug console as mentioned above is not available so the ldd can't be typed in.

The problem happened in RDZ V7.5 the first time, and now in RDZ V8. (different programs). Debug Tool V11.

Any idea about the reason for this message?

TIA

Sabine
Updated on 2013-01-24T19:31:19Z at 2013-01-24T19:31:19Z by zdebug
  • zdebug
    zdebug
    30 Posts

Re: Debug console not available

‏2012-04-04T14:26:16Z  
    You have written that the debug thread was active. Is it possible to upload a screenshot when this happens and can you try the following:

1. Close and reopen the debug console view.
    2. Highlight the stack frame in the debug view, at the top left corne.

I hope this helps.
  • lauterbachS
    lauterbachS
    22 Posts

‏2012-04-04T18:17:09Z  
    • zdebug
    • ‏2012-04-04T14:26:16Z
    You have written that the debug thread was active. Is it possible to upload a screenshot when this happens and can you try the following:

1. Close and reopen the debug console view.
    2. Highlight the stack frame in the debug view, at the top left corne.

I hope this helps.
    Thank you for your suggestion!

Unfortunately this doesn't help, we already tried.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1086 Posts

‏2012-04-04T18:28:54Z  
    Perhaps you have enabled the "Breadcrumb" layout in the debug view.
    By default the debug view layout is set to "Automatic". You set the layout by clicking in the menu accessed from the small down arrow in the debug view's toolbar.
    "Automatic" means it is a tree layout until you shrink the view (by sizing it vertically) to show just 1 line or no lines, at that point it automatically switches to "Breadcrumb" layout.
    The "Breadcrumb" layout is a compact view that basically flattens the tree to one line while letting you select the portion of the tree you want to see.
    The layout menu allows you to set "Automatic", "Tree" or "Breadcrumb"

With that background out of the way... I'll explain why that causes a problem with the Debug Console view.
    Many of the debug functions (like views, actions and menus) rely on selection events to know what is selected in the Debug view. Based on the selection, features determine if they should be enabled or not.

The "Breadcrumb" layout doesn't produce the same selection events as the tree layout. In some cases no selection events at all.
    So if you enable the "Breadcrumb" layout and a debug session is started, the Debug Console view won't know that a live debug session is in the Debug view.

The next fixpack for RDz v803 has some fixes for this problem but in the next major release we are going to try and catch all the cases where a missing selection event causes a problem in the UI.

In the meantime if you are running into this problem I suggest avoiding the "Breadcrumb" layout. Set the layout to "Tree" and even if you shrink the Debug view to show just the toolbar it will work correctly.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1086 Posts

‏2012-04-04T20:48:26Z  
    Again, thanks a lot for this explanation. I didn't even know, that this "Breadcrumb"-Style existed.

I can't reproduce the problem, but as far as I see in the attached screenshot the problem occurs with a fully expanded Tree-style-Debug-View.
    The "Managed Compiled Language Event Breakpoints" button in the Breakpoint view toolbar is also disabled.
    So somewhere the selection event was missed.

Does clicking on the "thread" and then back to the "stackframe" fix the problem?

Were you in another perspective when the debugger started? The default behaviour is to switch to the debug perspective, I'm wondering if that caused the missing selection.

Please give fixpack 8032 at try. We did address a similar problem in that fixpack.
  • lauterbachS
    lauterbachS
    22 Posts

‏2012-04-05T09:44:57Z  
    The "Managed Compiled Language Event Breakpoints" button in the Breakpoint view toolbar is also disabled.
    So somewhere the selection event was missed.

Does clicking on the "thread" and then back to the "stackframe" fix the problem?

Were you in another perspective when the debugger started? The default behaviour is to switch to the debug perspective, I'm wondering if that caused the missing selection.

Please give fixpack 8032 at try. We did address a similar problem in that fixpack.
    The problem itself hasn't been reproducable by myself and today, the developer also didn't have the problem any more. But yesterday we already tried to change focus in the debug-view on thread etc. like you suggested but nothing helped. (restart etc.)

So right now everything works fine, but I think there are circumstances where this could show up again, as it did already a few weeks ago in V7.5.

We got 8.0.3.2 this week but we can't roll it out before testing it. So we wait and hope, it doesn't happen again.

Thanks a lot for all your ideas and suggestions!!

Regards
    Sabine
  • lauterbachS
    lauterbachS
    22 Posts

‏2012-05-25T02:29:35Z  
    Perhaps you have enabled the "Breadcrumb" layout in the debug view.
    By default the debug view layout is set to "Automatic". You set the layout by clicking in the menu accessed from the small down arrow in the debug view's toolbar.
    "Automatic" means it is a tree layout until you shrink the view (by sizing it vertically) to show just 1 line or no lines, at that point it automatically switches to "Breadcrumb" layout.
    The "Breadcrumb" layout is a compact view that basically flattens the tree to one line while letting you select the portion of the tree you want to see.
    The layout menu allows you to set "Automatic", "Tree" or "Breadcrumb"

With that background out of the way... I'll explain why that causes a problem with the Debug Console view.
    Many of the debug functions (like views, actions and menus) rely on selection events to know what is selected in the Debug view. Based on the selection, features determine if they should be enabled or not.

The "Breadcrumb" layout doesn't produce the same selection events as the tree layout. In some cases no selection events at all.
    So if you enable the "Breadcrumb" layout and a debug session is started, the Debug Console view won't know that a live debug session is in the Debug view.

The next fixpack for RDz v803 has some fixes for this problem but in the next major release we are going to try and catch all the cases where a missing selection event causes a problem in the UI.

In the meantime if you are running into this problem I suggest avoiding the "Breadcrumb" layout. Set the layout to "Tree" and even if you shrink the Debug view to show just the toolbar it will work correctly.
    Again, thanks a lot for this explanation. I didn't even know, that this "Breadcrumb"-Style existed.

I can't reproduce the problem, but as far as I see in the attached screenshot the problem occurs with a fully expanded Tree-style-Debug-View.
    Updated on 2012-05-25T02:29:35Z at 2012-05-25T02:29:35Z by lauterbachS
  • FrancoisLesage
    FrancoisLesage
    51 Posts

‏2012-12-28T18:27:20Z  
    The problem itself hasn't been reproducable by myself and today, the developer also didn't have the problem any more. But yesterday we already tried to change focus in the debug-view on thread etc. like you suggested but nothing helped. (restart etc.)

So right now everything works fine, but I think there are circumstances where this could show up again, as it did already a few weeks ago in V7.5.

We got 8.0.3.2 this week but we can't roll it out before testing it. So we wait and hope, it doesn't happen again.

Thanks a lot for all your ideas and suggestions!!

Regards
    Sabine
    Hi Sabine,

I got the same trouble as you (RDz 8.0.3, DebugTool V12) with a very tiny cobol program.

I launched 2 times the JCL and got 2 times the message: "Debug console not available for current selection".
    Right after I closed RDz and restarted it. The problem did'nt occur again.

Misterious.

May be somebody could suggest the infos to gather if it recurs.

Happy New Year to everybody on this so helpful forum !

François
  • zdebug
    zdebug
    30 Posts

‏2013-01-24T19:31:19Z  
    Hi Sabine,

I got the same trouble as you (RDz 8.0.3, DebugTool V12) with a very tiny cobol program.

I launched 2 times the JCL and got 2 times the message: "Debug console not available for current selection".
    Right after I closed RDz and restarted it. The problem did'nt occur again.

Misterious.

May be somebody could suggest the infos to gather if it recurs.

Happy New Year to everybody on this so helpful forum !

François
    I'd suggest you review the Breadcrumb style and other views being enabled as per suggestions above. If you can recreate this at will, it would help if you can attach a screenshot to see what is making the debug console selection event to be disabled.

A simple test would be to click on the thread and/or stack entry in the Debug view to get focus and enable the Debug Console.

Thanks!